Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veggie club meeting next ... ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Veggie club meeting next ... ? Reply with quote

While "Kermo" is on vacation for a few weeks, I'll try to keep the "Seoul Veggie Club" going by scheduling two restaurant gatherings: one for this Sunday, July 1 and the other on Saturday, July 14...

I anticipate that some regulars will be missing because of "Canada Day" celebrations, other events, and vacations, but some new people have expressed interest in meeting soon.

It's kinda late to do a formal poll. For the benefit of newcomers, I'll describe some places, and we'll go to whichever one seems to be most popular among likely goers...

Options for vegetarian lunch this Sunday, July 1:

Choice #1:Sanchon Mountain Village Restaurant Insadong (near Jongno 3 and Anguk station; lunch: 18,000 won + tax (a little pricey and mainly floor-seating, but great atmosphere and good vegetarian set menu �)

Choice #2: New Start Restaurant - near Seollung station; vegetarian buffet (affiliated with SDA) 11,000 won (good buffet but generally underspiced�)

Choice #3: SM Ching hai - short bus ride from Yanjiae station; 13,000 won (elaborate buffet and they sell lots of vegetarian faux meats and some �Amy�s� products�)

Choice#4: Shindongyang Chinese Restaurant in Yeouido; about 15,000 depending on what�s ordered from their vegetarian menu�

Choice#5: Ashoka Indian restaurant - Itaewon, Hamilton Hotel; lunch buffet 24,000 won (+ some change�)usually the best Indian buffet, with vegetarian preps clearly marked�

Choice#6: Country Life buffet (also affiliated with SDA - Seventh Day Adventist church�)It�s located in Sinsa, a couple stops above the Express Bus Terminal station on Orange line 3. Their buffet is still about 9000 won, I think�

Be sure to check the link for the club:http://seoulveggieclub.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/next-meeting-saturday-july-7th/#comments

Last edited by Rteacher on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the website and fixed the date. Rteacher, let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to add to the site. Way to go!
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just heard on Jay Leno that PETA selected bandleader Kevin Eubanks as "sexiest vegetarian of the year" - How come the Seoul Veggie Club didn't launch a major media campaign to promote me for that award? ... Razz
oni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go for either SM Chinghai or New Start both are fantastic buffets
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with "oni" (one of the original veggie club members and a strict vegan...) that both those places are excellent values, but they somehow got outvoted by Sanchon for this Sunday's lunch gathering (we'll probably go with one of them for the next veggie club event in about two weeks...)

Sanchon is a little pricey (about 20,000 won for lunch) but it's got the best atmosphere among the Korean restaurants I've been to, and the Insadong area is usually a culturally happening place on Sundays...

We can meet around 11:45 at the corner nearest Anguk station (328), Orange line 3, exit 6.

Walk straight out the exit and go about half-a-block till you see the tourist info booth on the right. A little ways past that (at the corner) is the Crown Bakery on the left (where we can wait inside if it's raining...)

Be sure to check "Kermo's" website for updates:
http://seoulveggieclub.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/next-meeting-saturday-july-7th/#comment-87
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see post above ...
HighTreason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, why are there so many darn vegetarians on this board? Is Korea some sort of Vegetarian magnet or something? Is it hard to find meat there? Just curious.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindly take your curiosity to a different thread because it's "off-topic" on this this particular thread in this forum. Usually, debates on the pros and cons of vegetarianism will appear in the "Off-Topic" forum.

This thread relates only to those interested in exchanging information about attending a "Seoul Veggie Club" event organized by forum members. Those not interested in attending shouldn't post specifically here if they don't want to get reported to the moderators for making "off-topic" posts that can more-or-less derail the thread...

Anyway, since the poster is obviously new, we'll cut him some slack this time. Cool Actually, we (I'm sure that club President "Kermo" would agree) welcome curious nonvegetarians to come to our vegetarian lunches, dinners, and picnics. After all, most all of us were meat-eaters not that long ago...
HighTreason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry. I was a vegetarian for a couple years myself, so I wasn't really trying to debate the pros and cons, it just seemed there were a lot on the board and was wondering if it had something to with living in Korea. Anyway, I shall not take up any more of your time.
Take Care
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problema ... Actually (to address your question) someone started this club for vegetarians because Korea was perceived as being a place that is pretty hard to avoid meat and/or fish in most everything ...
spliff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, body slammed by a veg... Very Happy
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, "Killer Kowalski" (one of my early "sports-entertainment" heroes) was a vegetarian...

Anyway, anyone wanting to check out Sanchon Mountain Village restaurant (in Insadong) this Sunday should meet (at around 11:45) at the corner of Insadong street near the Crown Bakery after walking straight (about a block...) from exit 6 , Anguk station (Orange line 3 ...)

We'll head over from there at about 12 noon...
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seoulveggieclub.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/next-meeting-saturday-july-7th/#comments
KlinkKlonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: 11:45 Reply with quote

I wanna go to this but... 11:45 meet on a designated day of rest by the alleged creator of the universe?!?!
Craziness

Glad no one chose Chinese. I went to Chakra and the buffet there was 14,000 and they had many vegetarian options.

11:45?!?!
starbrightgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: sunday Reply with quote

Our 2 friends (e&m): we somehow lost you two whilst walking single file-like with umbrellas hindering visibility. What ended up happening afterwards for the twos of yas- homebound? In any case- a pity, a shame.

Last edited by starbrightgirl on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: