Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midnight Run and Coming Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NQP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Midnight Run and Coming Back Reply with quote

I did a midnight run in 2001 and want to return to Korea. Can anyone tell me if this is feasable? I don't know if I was reported to immigration or not. I would like to hear experiences of people who have ran and returned or have ran and were denied re-entry. This seems to be a very murky area. I can't find any info on it on the ESL law sites.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you ran, do you honestly think things will be better the next time around?
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably depend on what action your hagwon took after you ran, they may not have even bothered to cancel your visa and as such you wouldn't have much trouble going back. However if they told immigration something like "he trashed his apartment before he left" you may find it hard to get back in.

As your unsure as to what happened the best thing to do would be to secure a job before going over so at least you wont have wasted your time going out there if you cannot obtain a visa.
phnx4life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: ..midnight bum...sorry run :O) Reply with quote

Hmmm...I agree with Homey, but there must be somebody out there that can reply to this board and who has actually experienced this exciting dilemma. I have done the midnight run, but I haven't attempted to come back...although I will, because not all directors are corrupted, but with the Korean economy sliding, so are business ethics (oxymoron, I believe)

Like Homey said, it is best to try before you go back to Korea. If you live in Kanada (spelling mistake is done with purpose), then you can try with the Korean Consulate i.e. Toronto or Ottawa. First you need a contract and the such....etc etc.

My question is: Is there anybody out there who can respond to this query who HAS gone through the process? Meaning, midnight run and then returning. Come on gals and guys don't be shy! There must be loopholes or tactics to gain entry after your last E-2 expired. So, let's get get down to business and get busy revealing!
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey 4life...

You seem to be somewhat confused about things dude.... Exclamation

Or you are agreeing with the wrong user.... Laughing
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run, you are only locked out of coming back to work legally until the end of your first contract.

If the hawgwon did report you to immigration, just remember there are always two sides to things, their side and yours.

However seeing as 2004 is almost here, you should be alright.

I agree with poster #2...if you ran once, what makes you think you won't do it again?
phnx4life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: well you can solve the midnight problem this way.... Reply with quote

Solution...crack-down on the corrupted directors and you won't have the teacher run AGAIN. Most of the time IT IS the directors that are causing the problems and we can see that over and over again...now more so then ever. If you want to stand there and shiver in your shoes while the director beats you over the head with irrational nonsense..then be my guest. The bravehearts will take a stand and do what it takes....bless all the ones out there thousands of miles from their home, do what must be done. Wink
Homer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phnx4life,

Quote:
Solution...crack-down on the corrupted directors and you won't have the teacher run AGAIN. Most of the time IT IS the directors that are causing the problems and we can see that over and over again...now more so then ever

Thats overly simplistic. It is true some directors are corrupt or cheat their employees and that a crackdown on this sort of behavior would be beneficial.
However teachers do the run many times not because of bad directors, not even because of a bad job but because they panic about being in a different country and culture, were not made to live abroad, are not willing to compromise about anything or some other problem.

Its a two way street and cracking down on the directors would not solve anything as many teachers that come here do so with preconceived ideas of how it is going to be and when things do not conform to that ideal-type they refuse to accept it and react by sometimes running instead of giving notice and quitting.
The midnight runs that are used as a knee-jerk reaction or first option escape hurt other teachers too as many directors feel the need to protect themselves againsy runners.
My second employer used to give his teachers a paid return ticket, not like many schools do, pay for the one way and then the other one way after the contract is over. He would pay in full and let the teacher keep the open ticket. He paid his employees on time, offered support and took us out to dinner or lunch once a week. In the summer he paid for all of us to go to Cheju Do for a 4 day week-end, all expenses paid.
The work athmosphere at the school was pretty good to. It was hard work and he expected us to be there early and prepare some serious lessons. But he treated everyone fair.
So what happened? two months in a row a female teacher he had just hired ran the coop. The reason: Korea was not "for them" (as stated in an email we got afterwards) and they didn't feel like paying back the ticket he had purchased for them.
Now, this is just one case/example but cracking down on this director would do nothing as in this case the teachers were the problem and not the job or him.
My basic philosophy on the run is it can become warranted as a last resort. Unfortunately it usually is just one more tool thats used to avoid taking one's responsabilities.
phnx4life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: ..yes, what is simple is simply seen... Reply with quote

...what is simple is simply seen.

..notice that I said, MOST of the time..there are always exceptions to the rule..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: