Site Search:
 
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
htrain



Joined: 24 May 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

Let me open by saying I'm not trying to create another thread where people end up dissing each other and resort to name calling. This is a genuine question I have been thinking about for over a month.

First off:
I have worked in all three. I find a very interesting dichotomy here between lowly-hagwon workers (hogwon hogs) and public school teachers. PS teachers tend to assert that their job is better and more important. Then we have university jobs. The people in uni positions claim they are in the best situation because they get the most vacation time and teach the least amount of classes.

When I worked at a uni in China I found the students to be lazy and my job to be boring. When I taught public school I found my co-teachers to be OK at times, but I had plenty of lazy ones and plenty of out of control 40+student classes. Hagwons I have found to be fun and entertaining, offering a greater monthly wage, and more straight-forward.

I have a masters degree. I don't know which is the better option:

A.) Uni. 4-5 months off, 15 classes a week. More prep time, more meetings, higher standard, 2.0-2.2 mil won with no housing. Ie; 1.6-1.8 after housing.
B.) Public school. Similar vacation to a hagwon, 8:30-4:30 M-F and 2.3mil won with housing. Plenty of time to surf Dave's and plan classes.
C.) Hagwon. 30 classes a week, no prep time, free-talking classes that are fun to teach, M/W/F 11-10pm, plenty of time for outside work, 2.3 mil + possible raise upon contract renewal and housing.

I understand that uni offers tons of paid vacation, but I'm here to work and I don't like lots of time off. My uni friends find it hard to get extra jobs for 1 or 2 month periods unless the camps fit in perfectly. Some find they have little time to work extra classes because of their choppy schedules schedules and office time. Some work 9am-11am M-F and have heaps of time to work other jobs. I'm sure every uni is different, but this makes me wonder if the hagwon is the best place to be overall, depending of course upon your personal goals.

What's your opinion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Major Kong



Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Location: South Korea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resume wise, University. Life experience(character building), Public school. In retrospect(when you're really old), Hagwons, for the stories you can tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twg



Joined: 02 Nov 2006
Location: Getting some fresh air...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

htrain wrote:
C.) Hagwon. 30 classes a week, no prep time, free-talking classes that are fun to teach, M/W/F 11-10pm, plenty of time for outside work, 2.3 mil + possible raise upon contract renewal and housing.

The way you described your options, this sounds like easier work for the same money and more benefits.

It's a no brainer, I figure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
the_beaver



Joined: 15 Jan 2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good, or decent, university.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
esetters21



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm..well. I've only been here a couple of years and still work in a Hagwon Shocked .

Could I work in a public school or university job? Sure, I could. I was a graduate assistant teacher in graduate school in the geography, communications, economics, english, and planning departments in my time there. I taught public middle school at home as well after attaining my teaching certificate.

Although those uni and public school positions intrigue me a little here, I am basically happy enough where I am at this point in my life to keep teaching those little buggers in my hagwon. It comes down to your priorities and goals at this stage in your life. I'm not here to make as much money as I can; I guess is what I am trying to say. I am enjoying myself, and like to see the academic development of my students in my hagwon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
funinthesun



Joined: 16 Jul 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
A good, or decent, university.


im in the epik program (public school)and this is my seventh month here. i heard that the conditions of epik change a lot depending on where you are. luck depending on location. also heard that is the case for university jobs as well. uni jobs can go from fantastic wages and conditions all the way down to quite horrible..

my situation is great actually, good school, good overtime, friendly co teachers, lots of time off and class prep time...

i wouldnt want a hogwan - too much hassle in my experience...

good luck to you, hope you make the choice that makes you happy Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
esetters21



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funinthesun wrote:
the_beaver wrote:
A good, or decent, university.


im in the epik program (public school)and this is my seventh month here. i heard that the conditions of epik change a lot depending on where you are. luck depending on location. also heard that is the case for university jobs as well. uni jobs can go from fantastic wages and conditions all the way down to quite horrible..

my situation is great actually, good school, good overtime, friendly co teachers, lots of time off and class prep time...

i wouldnt want a hogwan - too much hassle in my experience...

good luck to you, hope you make the choice that makes you happy Smile


Yes, we all have a different perspective of happiness. I actually like to be busy, work, and be productive. I guess that I spent too many years in managerial corporate jobs in America. They tainted me. I like to feel like I am earning my keep Laughing .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VanIslander



Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

htrain wrote:
C.) Hagwon. 30 classes a week, no prep time, free-talking classes that are fun to teach, M/W/F 11-10pm, plenty of time for outside work, 2.3 mil + possible raise upon contract renewal and housing.

Three days a week is a nice feature but 30 classes for only 2.3 for an experienced teacher with a graduate degree is below average for the Korean hagwon industry.

A bad hagwon is hell. But a good hagwon position is golden.

Small class sizes (8-10), no office hours or extra responsibilities, no split shifts, no gaps between classes, no required text or prep time or coteacher expectations, just you and about a hundred students a week you actually get to know. That's standard. Getting a supportive nonintrusive mom-and-pop operated stable paying decent accommodation situation and only having to teach 18-26 classes a week for 2.5 mill. That is what I have and is the least you should be able to get if you hunt around, do your research, visit the locales and talk to the ex-foreign teacher(s).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htrain



Joined: 24 May 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
htrain wrote:
C.) Hagwon. 30 classes a week, no prep time, free-talking classes that are fun to teach, M/W/F 11-10pm, plenty of time for outside work, 2.3 mil + possible raise upon contract renewal and housing.

Three days a week is a nice feature but 30 classes for only 2.3 for an experienced teacher with a graduate degree is below average for the Korean hagwon industry.

A bad hagwon is hell. But a good hagwon position is golden.

Small class sizes (8-10), no office hours or extra responsibilities, no split shifts, no gaps between classes, no required text or prep time or coteacher expectations, just you and about a hundred students a week you actually get to know. That's standard. Getting a supportive nonintrusive mom-and-pop operated stable paying decent accommodation situation and only having to teach 18-26 classes a week for 2.5 mill. That is what I have and is the least you should be able to get if you hunt around, do your research, visit the locales and talk to the ex-foreign teacher(s).

This is some of the best advice I've gotten on this site. Much thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
esetters21



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
htrain wrote:
C.) Hagwon. 30 classes a week, no prep time, free-talking classes that are fun to teach, M/W/F 11-10pm, plenty of time for outside work, 2.3 mil + possible raise upon contract renewal and housing.

Three days a week is a nice feature but 30 classes for only 2.3 for an experienced teacher with a graduate degree is below average for the Korean hagwon industry.

A bad hagwon is hell. But a good hagwon position is golden.

Small class sizes (8-10), no office hours or extra responsibilities, no split shifts, no gaps between classes, no required text or prep time or coteacher expectations, just you and about a hundred students a week you actually get to know. That's standard. Getting a supportive nonintrusive mom-and-pop operated stable paying decent accommodation situation and only having to teach 18-26 classes a week for 2.5 mill. That is what I have and is the least you should be able to get if you hunt around, do your research, visit the locales and talk to the ex-foreign teacher(s).


Straight on information. I actually teach only 6 hours a day MWF and 3 hours a day TTh in my hagwon for what Vanislander said he is compensated. Yes, I do have some outside work when it's necessary, but that is expected in a teaching profession. My class size: 12 kindys M-F, 5 eight year old elems MWF, and 4 nine year old elems MWF.

I have never been shafted or not paid, and my housing is taken care of. It's not such a bad deal. If only I didn't have to listen to the 22-23 year old Canadians complaining everyday about having to do their job Razz .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kimchi Cowboy



Joined: 17 Sep 2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out international school.

Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roch



Joined: 24 Apr 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

htrain wrote:
Let me open by saying I'm not trying to create another thread where people end up dissing each other and resort to name calling. This is a genuine question I have been thinking about for over a month.

First off:
I have worked in all three. I find a very interesting dichotomy here between lowly-hagwon workers (hogwon hogs) and public school teachers. PS teachers tend to assert that their job is better and more important. Then we have university jobs. The people in uni positions claim they are in the best situation because they get the most vacation time and teach the least amount of classes.

When I worked at a uni in China I found the students to be lazy and my job to be boring. When I taught public school I found my co-teachers to be OK at times, but I had plenty of lazy ones and plenty of out of control 40+student classes. Hagwons I have found to be fun and entertaining, offering a greater monthly wage, and more straight-forward.

I have a masters degree. I don't know which is the better option:

A.) Uni. 4-5 months off, 15 classes a week. More prep time, more meetings, higher standard, 2.0-2.2 mil won with no housing. Ie; 1.6-1.8 after housing.
B.) Public school. Similar vacation to a hagwon, 8:30-4:30 M-F and 2.3mil won with housing. Plenty of time to surf Dave's and plan classes.
C.) Hagwon. 30 classes a week, no prep time, free-talking classes that are fun to teach, M/W/F 11-10pm, plenty of time for outside work, 2.3 mil + possible raise upon contract renewal and housing.

I understand that uni offers tons of paid vacation, but I'm here to work and I don't like lots of time off. My uni friends find it hard to get extra jobs for 1 or 2 month periods unless the camps fit in perfectly. Some find they have little time to work extra classes because of their choppy schedules schedules and office time. Some work 9am-11am M-F and have heaps of time to work other jobs. I'm sure every uni is different, but this makes me wonder if the hagwon is the best place to be overall, depending of course upon your personal goals.

What's your opinion?


Which is truly the best? I'd say that one-on-one tutoring sessions are the best for the teacher and pupil because of a lack of distractions and maximization of the student's attention-span.

Oh, by the way: WORD!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
htrain



Joined: 24 May 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

Quote:


Which is truly the best? I'd say that one-on-one tutoring sessions are the best for the teacher and pupil because of a lack of distractions and maximization of the student's attention-span.

Oh, by the way: WORD!

Do you truly enjoy them? I'd rather teaach traditional class for 4 hours than a 2 hour tutoring dealie. It is so boring to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
htrain



Joined: 24 May 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon, Public School, or Uni, which is TRULY better? Reply with quote

Quote:

Straight on information. I actually teach only 6 hours a day MWF and 3 hours a day TTh in my hagwon for what Vanislander said he is compensated. Yes, I do have some outside work when it's necessary, but that is expected in a teaching profession. My class size: 12 kindys M-F, 5 eight year old elems MWF, and 4 nine year old elems MWF.

I have never been shafted or not paid, and my housing is taken care of. It's not such a bad deal. If only I didn't have to listen to the 22-23 year old Canadians complaining everyday about having to do their job Razz .

Are you wh0red out to other schools or have a split schedule by chance?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Roch



Joined: 24 Apr 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esetters21 wrote:
Ummm..well. I've only been here a couple of years and still work in a Hagwon :shock: .

Could I work in a public school or university job? Sure, I could. I was a graduate assistant teacher in graduate school in the geography, communications, economics, english, and planning departments in my time there. I taught public middle school at home as well after attaining my teaching certificate.

Although those uni and public school positions intrigue me a little here, I am basically happy enough where I am at this point in my life to keep teaching those little buggers in my hagwon. It comes down to your priorities and goals at this stage in your life. I'm not here to make as much money as I can; I guess is what I am trying to say. I am enjoying myself, and like to see the academic development of my students in my hagwon.


You were doing a Multi-Subject Master of Arts, eh?

Good on you, Harried One.

R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International