Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need the 411 on Birth Control Pills in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porter_Goss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiberious aka Sparkles wrote:
I heard that if you do it standing up that you have nothing to worry about Wink

No, you have to wear high heels too.
Porter_Goss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I need the 411 on Birth Control Pills in Korea Reply with quote

viva wrote:
Hey Ladies:
Can anyone tell me how to go about geting birth control pills in Korea?
Do you require a Doctor's prescription?
How much do they cost?
Are the readily available at most pharmacies?
Do they have Western or European Brands?
Thanks so much, any information you can give me on this topic is greatl appreciated!

Searched "birth control".

Info for women: birth control in Korea?

Medicines in Korea - migraines, the pill, etc.?

birth control help

Birth Control Question

Contraception in Korea
indigo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: morning after pill Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to get the morning after pill in korea? I can't find the information anywhere! Do you need a doctors perscription, or can you get it over the counter? Is there a good place in Seoul to get a perscription?

Any info is helpful!
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

triviality wrote:
Do they sell the Patch (Ortho Evra) in Korea? I'm moving to Pusan soon, and am quite attached to the Patch versus daily pills. Is there any hormonal contraception that comes in a different form other than pill (patch, ring, etc.)? If not, would the equivalent of Ortho Tri-Cyclen be the lowest level of hormones?

I would give a lot to be able to get NuvaRing in Korea.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Pill Reply with quote

Cabbit wrote:
The irish pill mentioned is called "Mercilon".

Can anyone write "Mercilon" in Korean for me, please?
plattwaz

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: glad to help Reply with quote

mokpochica wrote:
They did an X-ray of my ovaries using a probe-like thing with a condom on it. It was so weird. Anyone else ever heard of this in Korea or anywhere? Anyway, I guess my ovaries are healthy.

It's not an x-ray, it's an ultrasound. It is normal, it's not just a "Korean" thing - it's essentially an examination to see if there are cysts or any abnormalities on your ovaries or your uterus.

I find that at home, doctors will only do them if there is some HUGE problem, and it can't be determined any other possible way, simply because of the cost. Here, your OBGYN will be more than happy to do one for no reason at all other than to "check things out" - because you're paying for it.
hanjam

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, im also planning on moving out to korea soon, seoul to be precise, does anypne know if "cerazette" is available? Over here (in england) its in a white and orange box. Iv had quite a lot of trouble finding a pill that suits me and the prospect of having to do that all again whilst trying to settle into a new job/life/whole way of living was not one of the many things that had concerned me...damn! Cheers for any help Smile
Novernae

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanjam wrote:
hey, im also planning on moving out to korea soon, seoul to be precise, does anypne know if "cerazette" is available? Over here (in england) its in a white and orange box. Iv had quite a lot of trouble finding a pill that suits me and the prospect of having to do that all again whilst trying to settle into a new job/life/whole way of living was not one of the many things that had concerned me...damn! Cheers for any help Smile

If you've had trouble finding one for you, don't take the chance, unless sombody tells you they are available. Just bring a year's supply. (I assume you can in England... In Canada your doctor writes a note to the pharmacy and they dispense a year's worth of pills at once.) If you end up staying longer than that at least you can experiment when you are adjusted and used to things so you don't mistake adjustment for 'symptoms.'
Buff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: morning after pill Reply with quote

indigo wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to get the morning after pill in korea? I can't find the information anywhere! Do you need a doctors perscription, or can you get it over the counter? Is there a good place in Seoul to get a perscription?

Any info is helpful!

Generally, I think that requires a gynie prescription, but the pill Sexcon can be used as emergency contraception. It's a higher dose than normal, but I'm unsure of the specifics. I believe a korean speaking friend could help you find the information.
cgroch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So right now, I'm on the Nuvaring (truly the greatest thing on earth), and I'm coming to Korea in two weeks. After this ring, I'm out of birth control. I'm debating whether or not I should go to Planned Parenthood here in the States and shell out $200 for a stinking exam and pills (so much for being economically available to the poor, eh). Outrageously priced, I know. But since they don't seem to sell the ring over there, and I haven't been on a pill in a while, I'm concerned about just starting up a random new pill like Mercilon or Triquilar (which are European and not American).

I have no doubt these work, but what are the chances they won't work for my body? And how to decide between the two?

Is it worth getting an exam in Korea or is that too hard/expensive? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks for your help!
twoofus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is helpful but thought I'd suggest it in case it is...

In Toronto, there's a clinic strictly for birth control - all free of charge if you're a Canadian (they'll give you some emergency packs, but otherwise you'll need a prescription).

They have a great big book at the office and they can look to see what brands S.Korea has and how they compare to the brands you have and whether or not your brand is available, etc. etc.

Here's a site with their number on it - you can also Google the Hassle Free Clinic, also in Toronto, they might be able to help compare brands:

http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/centres/sex/program/
Jennarator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Mercilon? Reply with quote

I've heard of marvelon - is this the same thing? It's called Desogen in the U.S. I use the ring, and plan on switching to something like Marvelon/Desogen if I run out of rings (I'm not in Seoul yet). Apparently there are a few online pharmacies that will ship b.c. pills w/o a Rx.
kat2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are online pharmacies, but chances of getting drugs through Korean customs are slim.They've been known to confiscate vitamins.
If you still have time in teh states, get them shipped ot you tehre and take them in your carryons. If you don't have enough time, then you'll just have to see whats on offer once you get here.
Buff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercilon? Reply with quote

Jennarator wrote:
I've heard of marvelon - is this the same thing? It's called Desogen in the U.S. I use the ring, and plan on switching to something like Marvelon/Desogen if I run out of rings (I'm not in Seoul yet). Apparently there are a few online pharmacies that will ship b.c. pills w/o a Rx.

Do you mean "Are marvelon/desogen and mercilon the same?" They are not the same, but similar. They have the same active ingredients but in slightly different amounts:

Mercilon:Ethinylestradiol 20 micrograms, desogestrel 150 micrograms.

Marvelon/Desogen: Ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms, desogestrel 150 micrograms

Like a previous poster said, Mercilon is readily available in the majority of pharmacies at 6,000 won and no prescription. When you say in Korean it sounds like "mo-she-lon".

I've used it for about 5 months now with no side effects to speak of.
mrgiles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like a previous poster said, Mercilon is readily available in the majority of pharmacies at 6,000 won and no prescription. When you say in Korean it sounds like "mo-she-lon".

머실론 i guess would be how to write it in korean based on that...
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: