Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do foreigners have so much trouble learning Korean?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoulman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peope get thrown off because you are not Korean. Im sure if you studied linguistics they would talk about not the sound of language but also the language of the face. When I engage a Korean person many times I feel no connection with them...

I also find Korean language difficult because of the politness factor. As people were saying earlier, in Japan also, people arnt eager to prompt Hangul Mal from you.. They are just too proud of their language.
yushin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because we're thick?
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to successfully learn a foreign language is naked and horizontal.
samd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to start a thread like this once a month Ghost?

This seems to be the fourth or fifth lamenting the difficulties of Korean, talking about your Turkish skills, and telling us how you were able to learn conversational Mandarin in four months in Taiwan. Then you throw in a plug for the school you go to on Saturdays.

Less time posting, more time studying.

No one here can give you a secret formula for learning Korean. You just have to put your head down, study, and practise.
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

Quote:
I found Korean to be one of the easiest languages to learn - of the countries I have lived in. Thai and Madarin were probably the most difficult. Setswana and Ikalanga - were easy too.

Mandarin is much easier to learn on a conversational level compared with Korean - except for the tones. In Mandarin the verbs never get conjugated - they always stay the same - dead easy to make simple sentences in Mandarin! The only exception to that is that you can add "le" to the verb in the past.

Forget learning Chinese characters unless you are a real scholar with about 5-7 years on your hands to study and memorize the thousands of characters needed to just have a basic skill level in reading Chinese - for example you would need around 3000 Chinese characters to get the gist of a Chinese newspaper.

For those who don't have much time, I highly recommend the Seoul Korean Language Academy for classes during the week and on Saturdays.

Seoul Korean Language Academy, 7F Hightech Bld., 649-2, Yeoksam-dong, Kangnam-gu, Seoul, 135-080
Tel: (02) 563-3226

The instructors there (all female) are really top notch, and make most of us 'teachers' feel like amateurs, in comparison. All the teaching is done in Korean only - so it is total immersion. I can only take the course once a week, because I live 2 hours south of Seoul, but for those studying on the 3 days a week schedule, the progress made can be much, much better. If you take the course 3 times a week, expect to have about 1-2 hours 'homework' between classes - that would be 3-6 hours of 'homework' per week - mostly in the workbook. Students at the academy come from all countries including Europe, N.America, and many Japanese.

Those who are the quickest learners - the Russians! The Russian female students are highly motivated and have a talent for mastering languages in a short time. In Turkey it was the same - Russian students came out top at the University of Ankara Foreign student Turkish speaking contest every year. People at the Academy are always surprised when they notice that Russian students, in general, are quicker at learning Korean compared with Japanese students, who are no quicker than N.Americans, for the most part.

The Academy is about 5 minutes walk from the Gangham Metro subway station. Exit 8.

Send me your name and details by p.m. and I will register you for the next classes at the Academy. Thank you for your interest.

New elementary section starting August 4, 2007. Register now!

Ghost in Korea

Last edited by ghost on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:26 am; edited 2 times in total
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: answer Reply with quote

ghost wrote:

Forget learning Chinese characters unless you are a real scholar with about 5-7 years on your hands to study and memorize the thousands of characters needed to just have a basic skill level in reading Chinese - for example you would need around 3000 Chinese characters to get the gist of a Chinese newspaper.

I disagree with this. You are not taking into account different learning styles. I am a visual learner. THerefore, while it took me ages beyond others to get the tones right, I pick up characters faster than Chinese people who have been learning them all their life. Chinese characters and Japanese Kanji have never given me any trouble, and it wouldn't take me near as long as you say to learn if I was immersed in the country. I am not exaggerating on these statements either Smile

This is one of the main reasons why saying a language is harder than another to learn is usually incorrect for everybody. You can't really say it other than about yourself, which can still be useful to others, but it is not always accurate for every other learner.
Richard Krainium

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
The only way to successfully learn a foreign language is naked and horizontal.

That language ain't foreign to me. And it certainly doesn't have to be horizontal. Wink
icicle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulman1 wrote:

I also find Korean language difficult because of the politness factor. As people were saying earlier, in Japan also, people arnt eager to prompt Hangul Mal from you.. They are just too proud of their language.

I would have to disagree with this ... The teachers in my school are keen for me to try and use any Korean I can ... and are positive whenever I try to use it ... And that is from more than one person ... One of them even suggested that I practice it more over the vacation ... And that was said in a good way ... I think like English conversation for our students it does literally take practice ... and finding opportunities to use the small amounts that we have as we start to learn ... And I think part of my problem sometimes is that in the time when I did not know much Korean I did get good at working around not knowing what to say ... and sometimes it is easier to use that approach

Icicle
SPINOZA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you who took issue with Own-King about his asking for water incident....he merely stated that he asked for some water. He did not explicitly state that he said just "water!". He might have asked for water in the normal, polite fashion - we just don't know from what he wrote ("For example, I was in a restaurant and asked for moolr (water) and I got a blank stare. I tried again and again (holding a cup) and nothing. I said water and the waitress immediately said "OK"").

If he did say just "물 / water!" then that's probably the reason he didn't get served - not pronunciation. Nevetheless, the assumption he just blurted out WATER was a harsh call.

I disagreed with much of his post though, apart from this:

Quote:
Korean people have no experience hearing foreigners speaking Korean. They can only understand perfect Korean spoken by a native speaker

Good point. Koreans' and English-speakers' brains are programmed completely differently for this situation. I don't think my pronunciation is THAT bad, but I probably have to repeat myself 80% of the time if it's something beyond basic expressions. By contrast, I've heard a zillion different foreigners speak butchered English and occasionally cannot understand native speakers because of the huge variety of accents. So my capacity to understand weird English is much more advanced than a Korean's in understanding funked up Korean.
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all ready to post some thing along the lines of "Same reason Koreans don't learn English, the cultures are incompatible", but there wasn't really a question, was there.
dogshed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I could learn Korea if I actually bothered to study it. I'd rather watch Desperate Housewives.

I just got back from China and they are very different. They will try to figure out what you mean. If you say "water" they will get you a glass of water, wash your car, give you a bath, water your plants, and buy your dog a water bowl until they figure out what you want. Koreans will just stare at you.

(For those of you who are clueless that was hyperbole.)
gmat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mandarin is much easier to learn on a conversational level compared with Korean - except for the tones.

Laughing Laughing what an idiotic thing to say.

Last edited by gmat on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Ghost!

I appreciate your post very much. It compares very closely with how I perceive of Korea, and it assures me that I'm not crazy. I have had to enroll in yoga classes, sign language classes, music classes, and Japanese classes because those were the only places I could see Korea people without being spoken to in English.
ghost wrote:
. . . unless you are a foreign pre-pubertal child mixing it up with Korean kids, who are (compared with adults) - very talkative! . . .
Korean elementary school kids are still pretty friendly.

Every weekend, I go to the children's rook at the Chuncheon Library.
They have a supply of Japanese children's books.
I read the books to the children in both Japanese and Korean.
I do this because Korean children are the only Koreans who speak to me in Korean, and are therefore the only Koreans whom I can stand.

Until now, I thought I was some kind of pervert.
Thank you for the assurance.

Quote:
Thoughts, ideas?

None except for the post which I made right here.
I hope it helps some.

Hello, Cheese Sandwich!

Quote:
I think you almost need to have a long term Korean girlfreind/Boyfreind.

You need to add "who can't or won't speak to you in English."

Quote:
I haven't met any westerner fluent in Korean that didn't learn because they dated a korean for a few years.

I have known two Westerners who can't get through a single sentence in Korean because they married Korean who spoke to them in English.

Hello, Fresh Prince!

Quote:
When I was practicing my Japanese with a Japanese person that could speak English at about the same level as my Japanese, he explained that I shouldn't try to speak Japanese until I learned it perfectly. From then on, he would refuse to speak Japanese and instead would only use broken English. It's possible that there is a similar attitude in Korea, that foreigners should be perfect at speaking Korean before they use it.

If you don't go in the water until you know how to swim,
how will you learn how to swim?

It is the same here:
Koreans who speak English better than I speak Korean insist on speaking to me in English.
I put up with it at the English school because that's my job.
Other than that, I try to stay away from Koreans who speak English.

Hello, own_king!

I notice that you use the word 물 in your example.
I always have trouble asking for 물 at a supermarket or asking for 풀 at an office supply store.
Whenever I have to use either of those words, I write them down.

Hello, Spinoza!

Have a nice trip in England.

Hello, samd!

Maybe Ghost needs some empathy.
And maybe he is providing empathy to other discouraged Korean language students as well as receiving empathy.
Do you know what the word "empathy" means?

Last edited by tomato on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:51 pm; edited 7 times in total
pest2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I agree with your analysis of Korean people in relation to non-Koreans in their own country, and I agree about the effect. I think the machine itself is slightly different for some people. It's not so much that lack of interaction with Koreans makes it difficult to learn the language... The fact that the people are xeno-seeming and cold simply gives no motivation to learn. And motivation is at least 1/2 of the juice of learning.

I suppose if I lived in a box with no Koreans around and an audio tape and some books, and I'd talked to many Koreans and they were as kind and friendly as, say, Chinese or French after getting to know them, I'd be really motivated to study nonetheless.

Also, there are some loser expats here, but I dont think their overall quality is really any different than expats anywhere else in the world... Korean society has a de-atomizing effect even on ppl who live in it but are not Korean. We are thrown to the periphery of them, and from each other.
pest2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

own_king wrote:
I think a lot of people get frustrated - myself included. I've given up on it because even when I know the right word, Korean people can't or won't understand. Korean people have no experience hearing foreigners speaking Korean. They can only understand perfect Korean spoken by a native speaker. It points again to their intolerance, whereas in Canada, if someone speaks to me in terrible, very broken English, I will try to understand what they are saying, but Koreans just won't. For example, I was in a restaurant and asked for moolr (water) and I got a blank stare. I tried again and again (holding a cup) and nothing. I said water and the waitress immediately said "OK". So there is one word, I didn't need to learn. So it's pointless.

YEAH! exactly.

Me: mool hana juseo
Her: Nae?
Me: MOol hana juseo
Her: NAE?
Me:moOL hana juseo
Her:HUH?
Me: pointing to water dispenser, "I want that"
Her: OHHH mool hana juseo!

stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: