Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China Reply with quote

Quote:
..Brittany Jones Cooper tells her story of a visit to Shanghai..

Then I looked up and noticed that every person walking by me was staring, and staring hard. And they didn’t look away if I made eye contact. They just continued to look at me as if I were some kind of rare exotic plant —or a nun at a rave.

Some people pointed and whispered to their friends as I walked by. Others looked surprised, as if they knew me from somewhere, and smiled.

And others, and this was a smaller group, stared at me with a look of confusion and slight disgust. I made sure to always flash these hesitant observers a big smile. If I was going to be the only black person they ever met, I wanted it to be a pleasant experience

if I’m ever strapped for cash, I can make a ton of money if I move to China and become a famous street performer
https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/i-m-black--so-i-m-kind-of-a-big-deal-in-china-130228741.html

China=Korea 15 years ago.
Mix1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

I'm guessing it can still be bad here sometimes, even in Seoul. A couple of years ago, just traveling around Seoul with some black coworkers from time to time, it was unbelievable how much they got stared at and even pointed at. That was an eye opener. Relentless and not in a good way.

An old man on the subway even tried to touch one of the girl's faces. She actually had to grab his hand and say "Don't touch my face!" He then started motioning to his face and then her face and laughing.

Another time on the subway, an old man looked relentlessly at my black friend, to the point where I moved over to block his view, while giving him the stink eye back, which he didn't even notice. He moved to a different angle to keep on staring, finally got the hint, yet still kept doing obvious double takes.

All foreigners go through BS here, but some more than others.
metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:
..Brittany Jones Cooper tells her story of a visit to Shanghai..

Then I looked up and noticed that every person walking by me was staring, and staring hard. And they didn’t look away if I made eye contact. They just continued to look at me as if I were some kind of rare exotic plant —or a nun at a rave.

Some people pointed and whispered to their friends as I walked by. Others looked surprised, as if they knew me from somewhere, and smiled.

And others, and this was a smaller group, stared at me with a look of confusion and slight disgust. I made sure to always flash these hesitant observers a big smile. If I was going to be the only black person they ever met, I wanted it to be a pleasant experience

if I’m ever strapped for cash, I can make a ton of money if I move to China and become a famous street performer
https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/i-m-black--so-i-m-kind-of-a-big-deal-in-china-130228741.html

It's a lot easier for black guys to date Chinese girls in China than in Korea though, the Chinese are more curious than anything else, but I assume you've spent a lengthy time in both China and Korea to make such a claim? Because no one ever talks out their damn ass on this board, no way whatsoever.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Iris Chang, this is how some Chinese acted when they came to America. Except the author seems a little more concerned about how Chinese will perceive black people.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:

I assume you've spent a lengthy time in both China and Korea to make such a claim? Because no one ever talks out their damn ass on this board, no way whatsoever.

Try taking a deep breath and relax.

Last edited by Chaparrastique on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another take on how Black people are viewed in Korea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2SRQ2b4zTo

It is only a bit of fun, so don't take it too seriously.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:

I'm guessing it can still be bad here sometimes, even in Seoul. A couple of years ago, just traveling around Seoul with some black coworkers from time to time, it was unbelievable how much they got stared at and even pointed at. That was an eye opener. Relentless and not in a good way.

An old man on the subway even tried to touch one of the girl's faces. She actually had to grab his hand and say "Don't touch my face!" He then started motioning to his face and then her face and laughing.

Another time on the subway, an old man looked relentlessly at my black friend, to the point where I moved over to block his view, while giving him the stink eye back, which he didn't even notice. He moved to a different angle to keep on staring, finally got the hint, yet still kept doing obvious double takes.

All foreigners go through BS here, but some more than others.

I can't count the number of times old Korean men have touched my face on the subway. Apparently I have a nose.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is going to the sauna and people staring at my dick all the time. I cant get enough of that... Confused
Old Painless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
My favourite is going to the sauna and people staring at my dick all the time. I cant get enough of that... Confused

Me too, when that happens I start swinging it like a lasso.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Painless wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Me too, when that happens I start swinging it like a lasso.
Laughing

or stick it your ear and pretend youre a petrol pump?
guavashake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

In this case you may want to stop going into the ladies sauna.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guavashake wrote:
le-paul wrote:

In this case you may want to stop going into the ladies sauna.

Why on earth would I want to stop doing that? Confused
EastisEast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a lot easier for black guys to date Chinese girls in China than in Korea though, the Chinese are more curious than anything else, but I assume you've spent a lengthy time in both China and Korea to make such a claim? Because no one ever talks out their damn ass on this board, no way whatsoever.

+1

Almost every black dude (from anywhere) had a decent to gorgeous looking chinese girlfriend or wife with them when I was living in China for a few months. It was about 100% of the guys i've seen there. The others had russian girlfriends or wives.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Black, So I'm Kind of a Big Deal in China Reply with quote

Quote:

Or a gladiator. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: