Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Thailand? Reply with quote

Just got back from 10 days of R&R on Koh Samui and Bangkok.

How many of you go to Thailand for your vacations?

Also, how would you rate the islands?

I've been to Thailand about 8 or 9 times now in the last 3 years and am not so impressed with the beaches and the islands.

I much prefer the Philippines (El Nido, Boracay).

However, Thai food has got to be some of the best food in the world!

The high light of my trip.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koh samui is on the South China Sea side, right? Go check out the Andaman Sea side next time.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

El Nido, I thought, was an amazing, natural paradise. My girlfriend and I had an incredible time snorkelling and exlporing all of the little beaches and islands in the area.

Boracay was beautiful and kicks on Chaweng or any of the beaches in Phuket. However, I wouldn't want to be in Boracay during high season.

All in all, I really enjoy the Philippines and will definitely get back to those places again for a little R&R.

Unfortunately, I don't like the local food in P.I. and much, much prefer Thia food.

Speaking of Thailand:
Quote:
The Australian reported yesterday that Jemaah Islamiah (JI) chief Hambali confirmed that fresh attacks in Bangkok are being planned, with American-owned hotels, airlines and popular night clubs as possible targets.

Based on information from government sources in the region, the Australian reported that the attacks may be timed to coincide with the Apec meetings in mid-October.

Security has already been stepped up sharply at several key venues in Bangkok, it added.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm soon going to buy a ticket leaving Oct 15. Figured I'd go back to Long Beach bungalows at Koh Phi Phi, Thailand. There are some rocks off the beach where the boats don't go, or set anchor and so damage the coral. So it's fine there, and for 25 bucks you can go with a boat for the day to the park island visible across the sea. No-one lives there and it's protected, so the marine life is impressive. So I'm looking for surf and beach, primarily. A poster has mentioned the Phillipines are better than Thailand for that. Does anyone have an exact destination where a beach hut can be rented and snorkling is a walk away, and good? I'll be back after two weeks to get another job in Korea, hopefully Pusan. And if getting a visa with a release letter is impossible, will likely go to China. Need to relax by the sea and snorkle through the wondrous undersea world to take a load off. How does Thailand compare with the Phillipines, in cost, for beach hut living?
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain kirk wrote:
I'm soon going to buy a ticket leaving Oct 15. Figured I'd go back to Long Beach bungalows at Koh Phi Phi, Thailand. There are some rocks off the beach where the boats don't go, or set anchor and so damage the coral. So it's fine there, and for 25 bucks you can go with a boat for the day to the park island visible across the sea. No-one lives there and it's protected, so the marine life is impressive. So I'm looking for surf and beach, primarily. A poster has mentioned the Phillipines are better than Thailand for that. Does anyone have an exact destination where a beach hut can be rented and snorkling is a walk away, and good? I'll be back after two weeks to get another job in Korea, hopefully Pusan. And if getting a visa with a release letter is impossible, will likely go to China. Need to relax by the sea and snorkle through the wondrous undersea world to take a load off. How does Thailand compare with the Phillipines, in cost, for beach hut living?

Hey Captain Kirk,
Check the Perhentian Islands in North Eastern Malaysia. Seriously. There are two islands. The small island (kecil) attracts the seedy backpackers staying in the flea pits. And the big island (besar) attracts a better class of people i.e Overweight, sunburnt Europeans in fairly decent bungalows. But both have great snorkelling. Sharks (friendly ones of course), turtles etc. It's a good time to go there as well. Euro summer is over so the crowds are down, and the rainy season won't start for at least another 6 weeks so the weather is still good.
Really. Check it out. And no this ain't the other place I was talking about. But it's great anyhow. I'm happy to give you some more info if you want.
jinga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Thailand Reply with quote

I LOVE Thailand! Ko Samui is Too built up now I think.

Check out Ton Sai Beach (In/near Krabi)
... or some of the smaller islands around Ko Chang.

If your short on time Ko Samet is doable (but quite built up as well) it has the most amazing, squeaky white sand on the planet.

I've heard that very far down south (I'm forgetting the name exactly ... Ko Tarturo... something like that - close to Malay. border on the west side) is untouched and fabulous.

- I've not been to the phillipines but dream of it. Indonesian has got some AMAZING islands!
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the beer is cheap in Philippines.

You're looking at about B500 - B900 for a nice, clean bungalow near Chaweng Beach on Koh Samui.

I payed about P350 to stay a nice, clean bungalow style in El Nido, Palawan.

I highly recommend El Nido but feel a bit guilty for doing so because it's so clean and beautiful that I don't want to see it get spoiled.

Anyways, the marine life, small numbers of tourists and cleanliness of the beaches make El Nido a nice place for some quiet R&R.

The only bitch I have is that you have to fly out of Manila in one of those small propellor planes which I really, really dislike doing.

Also, there is that nice marine park, Turtle Island, off of Ko Phi Phi in Thialand that is really nice. I'd recommend it. YOu can rent a tent and stay over night fairly cheap. I visited the island on a day long snorkelling trip which was really nice.

You just can't beat Thai food, though.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I figure I'll fly to Bankok and go to Kao San road. Take the bus south, but half an hour before the bus goes offer half price (which they usually take). Find this island called Ko Tarturo which is 'very far south close to the Malay border on the west side' and is 'untouched and fabulous'. It might be close to the Perhentian Islands in N/E Malaysia camel mentioned.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up 'gyms' in Thailand and found a horde at Pattaya, but also one called 'Jungle Gym' on the island of Koh Phangan. It has machines and dumbells up to 30 kg and universal bars. Beach bungalows for about 250 baht. World class snorkling and diving. Eleven hours south of Bankok by bus (450baht) and a three hour ferry from the mainland city of Surithani. Bus leaves Bankok 7pm and the ferry docks at Koh Phangan at 7am. The exchange rate results in this; two million won = 70,000 baht. I'm 'already there', with three more weeks of work, hardly seeming like work anymore with Koh Phangan in the offing.
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the areas in Koh Pha Ngan are downright nasty.
Where's this gym and place you'll be hanging at...?
If I'm correct also 3 weeks from now is about Full Moon time which will mean practically the entire backpacker population in Thailand will partying out on the beaches, messing stuff up and making general pigs of themselves.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:

Agree. I got Tphyus Fever there... ruined the rest of my Thailand trip... not to mention the two months following that. Evil or Very Mad
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
camel96 wrote:

Agree. I got Tphyus Fever there... ruined the rest of my Thailand trip... not to mention the two months following that. Evil or Very Mad

Typhus...?
From ticks...?
Or Typhoid...?
Just curious 'cause I've never met anyone who's had typhus before.
Actually I've never met you either so it's probably irrelevant hey...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: