Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeling Unwelcome
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Feeling Unwelcome Reply with quote

Maybe it happens to all of us sometimes. The blank looks and stares or just some vibe we get in public can make us feel uncomfortable. Sometimes in Korea I feel like I've accidentally walked into a stranger's house. I get a sense of this is their country, not mine. True, but is there any reason to feel I'm not entitled to be here? I've only been to a few other countries in Asia. Never felt this anywhere else though. I've heard the middle east can be rough. Maybe a lot of us often feel we don't really belong? Well, the past little while has been a rough patch. Maybe tomorrow the mood will improve.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: pigs Reply with quote

I am mich past the culture shock period, where you accept anything that happens, and blame it on 'different culture'. Now I have began to berate people for their behaviour if it affects me. That includes horking and spitting phlegm in the showers at the gym, the staring, and the generally xenophobic behaviour.

It is an everyday thing here, but it barely bothers me anymore.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you a hug when I meet you.

Of course, if you later find your wallet missing, that wasnt me
Gollum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: I'm walking Reply with quote

I'm walking down the street with my date yesterday near Sinchon, and getting all of these glares from groups of single guys.... never noticed that so much before. Maybe they think my gal is really pretty? I don't know... I think she isn't considered so beautiful in Korea.. only average. We were holding hands, and it was very obvious that she was really interested in me. She didn't feel at all like hiding it.

Anyway, she was a treat to watch. She would turn around and stare at them with this half-baked, "do you have a problem???" look on her face. By the way, she was dressed very nicely, and conservatively. She is also about 35 years old (older than me, but we look similar in age).

Loved it. All you single, stuffy Korean aggosshees who have a problem with it can kiss my butt. And I say "my" butt only because she would never let them touch hers.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All you single, stuffy Korean aggosshees who have a problem with it can kiss my butt.

Wrong forum! Laughing

A serious and honest question: are you considering marriage? Have you discussed it with her? I ask only because if she's 35, this could certainly be what she is looking for, but if it's not the case for you and you care for her you should let her know. It's not easy for mid-30's women to be in the dating scene in Korea.

[of course, if she's already married, please disregard the above Twisted Evil]
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past culture shock? Does that ever happen? I think some of us get the ol' shock on and off no matter how long we spend in any place. I have spent about four of the past six years in Korea. Maybe I'm permanently shocked because everywhere looks strange to me now.
Zed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bound to have culture shock when you can never pretend to belong. That'll never go away here. I think a Caucasian like myself may get past most of it when living in a place like Russia or Czech. If you can learn to be proficient in the language you won't be viewed like a Martian, ... but in Asia (no matter how you speak their language)...well I think that's a given, perhaps in Korea more than elsewhere.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sun May 04, 2008 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had people speaking slowly to me all the time. When I stopped using sign language though they spoke normally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeling Unwelcome Reply with quote

jajdude wrote:
Maybe it happens to all of us sometimes. The blank looks and stares or just some vibe we get in public can make us feel uncomfortable. Sometimes in Korea I feel like I've accidentally walked into a stranger's house. I get a sense of this is their country, not mine. True, but is there any reason to feel I'm not entitled to be here? I've only been to a few other countries in Asia. Never felt this anywhere else though. I've heard the middle east can be rough. Maybe a lot of us often feel we don't really belong? Well, the past little while has been a rough patch. Maybe tomorrow the mood will improve.

I know what you are saying and for the longest time I have felt this way myself. What the locals are giving you is attitude ( and passive aggressive behavior) and for some reason I always took this willingly, but the reality is you don't have too. It is damn intimidating, but don't try to play the culturally sensitive foreigner to show you are OK. The Key here is to show a lot of attitude back, be confident, and look and react to them like they are the problem and outsiders. The only trick in this is that you have to use their culture against them, meaning you have to be versed in Korean behavior, and use Korean behavior. You can't get away with this acting like a foreigner. Act Korean to them, for when in Rome do as.. I have yet to get the shit kick out of me yet I think because I am playing with their rules...
just because

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that Korea really opened up to the west about 15 years ago(except for the GI's) so they are still very protective of their own country. I have found over time that I get stared at less and less(or maybe I am so used to it I don't notice it) but I couldn't care less. If some ajoshi keeps on looking at me I'll just give them a melong Razz and have a laugh.
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understand Korea "opened up" only recently, say 15 years ago, around their Olympics. But a real opening up will not occur for a long time, I think. I'd say it will be a few decades before most Koreans get used to the world a bit, and the recognition and consideration that, god almighty, there is quite a large world with a lot of diversity beyond this small peninsula. I have heard adults say how amazed they were on their first trip outside Korea, to see diversity of peoples, supermarkets with a supply and variety of foods that doesn't exist in Korea, and relationships between people of different (gulp) ethnicities. It'll be a long time before it "opens up" around here, I am sure.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a little historical perspective should be applied here...
weatherman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter what the historians say, or what the Korean government says or does about Korean being 'open', which has a lot of different meanings applied to it, the fact of the matter is that the Korean mind is closed, and this makes all things at the grass roots level of society closed, and this is the level at which we lead our lives. So daily we are faced with racist, xenophonbic, myopic, insular disdain for our existence. I don't care what the government says or some Korean expert who doesn't even live in Korea says about the place, when I walk into a restaurant and have to fight back the stares or the snide little comments about me, I know the great Hub of Asia will fail.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call weather man and a very balanced view of Korea...
Oh my...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: