Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did you like living best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where did you like living best?
US
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Canada
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Japan
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Korea
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
Asia
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
W. Europe
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
E. Europe
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Latin America
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Other
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 41

camel96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
camel96 wrote:
Cameron Highlands in Malaysia.
Granted I was only there for a few months but I loved it.
It's in the hills so it's not hot, there's great hiking and the Brits shipped in thousands of Indians to work the tea plantations so it's pretty multicultural...and the food is brilliant.

Hmm.. I like the sound of that place.. I might have to look into that one..

Actually as I typed that I got thinking about that place again and might spend a few months back there after I finish in Korea. Better get there soon also. The Malaysian Government in all their wisdom has decided to build a highway from Ipoh - Malaysia's second biggest city- to the Highlands so in the next coulple of years the whole place is going to have a big fat noisy highway running through the middle of it.
Evil or Very Mad
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
other

andie, you can pick "other" meaning "mother's basement".

HTH
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea as long as it doesn't involve working.
And Cameron Highlands for a break from Korea.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia. Very relaxed atmosphere, easy to escape masses of people, yet not backwards as all get-out. I can get REAL CHEESE and REAL DELI MEATS.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

India was good... plan to go there again soon. (Soon as my debts are paid)

Papua New Guinea was wonderful - except for the bullets...

How come Australia didn't get a mention on the poll?
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hojucandy wrote:
How come Australia didn't get a mention on the poll?

I think Australia's classified as far Eastern Europe... Wink
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot about Oz.

But, I do have a question. It seems more and more Aussies are leaving Down Under for other economic opportunities, and Australia has also been called an economic basketcase like Canada. So is it really hard to make it there or what?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man known as The Man wrote:
Bulsajo wrote:
other

andie, you can pick "other" meaning "mother's basement".

Pretty damned close, but no cigar. I've never been fortunate enough to live in a basement.... Embarassed

Caribbean wasn't listed, hence 'other'.

I miss my morning swim to the reef. Wake up, throw on swimsuit, walk across street, jump in, 2 min. swim to the reef. One morning I saw a Jewfish; another a blue-spotted coronetfish- both rare. Went over to the brac to visit a buddy- we went snorkelling out to the drop-off (8000' vertical) and had a school of 2 dozen or so Yellowfin Tuna swim up off the wall to check us out- thrill of a lifetime.

Not pretty, but at 6' and a couple hundred pounds it's quite impressive to see when rounding a coral head in front of you.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
It seems more and more Aussies are leaving Down Under for other economic opportunities, and Australia has also been called an economic basketcase like Canada. So is it really hard to make it there or what?

good question. i's like to hear what other ozzies have to say. for myself, after graduating i worked in australia for more than ten years, then went to papua new guinea where i worked another ten years. after all that time living the expat life i found the prospect of returning to australia boring so i came here. so - i'm here for the interest, not to find a job. was offered work recently in NZ and turned it down because of the boredom factor.
syclick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ol' El Dorado County, CA.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
But, I do have a question. It seems more and more Aussies are leaving Down Under for other economic opportunities, and Australia has also been called an economic basketcase like Canada. So is it really hard to make it there or what?

I was asking my mum about this over the weekend as I'm planning to go back to Oz for a year or two to do some further TESOL related study. I was wondering how the job market was these days. She says the unemployment is the lowest it's been since about 1990... around 6% perhaps a fraction under.

Australia, despite its large mass, is quite a small country and to use the words of an ex-PM, the arse-end of the world. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in life and career wise, what's important to you, where your interests lie and where the best place to be is to mesh all of the above ...

I think a lot of young Australians have been leaving Australia since the sixties, mostly going to Europe. No research to back me up here (perhaps too much Clive James?), just a hunch. I don't particularly think it's any different today.

I used to work in multimedia and loads of my ex-colleagues have moved overseas, some starting up their own IT related businesses others, studying or like me, teaching English.
mo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emirates: the lifestyle was a million times better than either the UK or Korea (Korea especially). Tight expat community, good climate, far more welcoming people, most expats have wads of cash, etc.
Sweet Zombie Jesus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
It seems more and more Aussies are leaving Down Under for other economic opportunities, and Australia has also been called an economic basketcase like Canada. So is it really hard to make it there or what?

Well, I was talking to my friend last night about why I'm leaving Australia, and he was telling me about many people he works with have two jobs, and so does their wife/husband, just so they save the large amount of money needed to buy some crap house in the western suburbs of Sydney. And when I told my dad I'm going to Korea, he said "That's great! Why would you want to stay here? There's nothing here for you".

Maybe it's better in other parts, but Sydney at least is a hole. I'm glad to be leaving.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey. I'm going back after this contract.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Zombie Jesus wrote:

Well, I was talking to my friend last night about why I'm leaving Australia, and he was telling me about many people he works with have two jobs, and so does their wife/husband, just so they save the large amount of money needed to buy some crap house in the western suburbs of Sydney. And when I told my dad I'm going to Korea, he said "That's great! Why would you want to stay here? There's nothing here for you".

Maybe it's better in other parts, but Sydney at least is a hole. I'm glad to be leaving.

Interesting. Sydney is a major world city and the residents think like that? Consider that many Koreans consider Oz as an emigration destination, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: