Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysian food? Is it good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Malaysian food? Is it good?
yes
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
no
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Malaysian food? Is it good? Reply with quote

Is Malaysian food? and how is Kuala Lumpur?
waggo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best food Ive ever eaten was in Maylaysia.Not all over the country but on an Island called PENANG on the West coast.In one small area you have Malay,Chinese,Indian and Sri Lankan cultures all competing with each other to make the best food....and its to the visitors benefit...every meal was a culinary orgasm

I cant remember about KL but I guess that says something.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant, and very hot ...
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant. If you get the chance, go to Mallaca and try out the Baba Nonya cuisine. It's a blend of Portugese and Malay. Also recomended is the Roti Chanai.

I lived in KL in '96-97. It was a steamy crap hole at the time. Apparently it's gotten a lot better.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waggo wrote:
The best food Ive ever eaten was in Maylaysia.Not all over the country but on an Island called PENANG on the West coast.In one small area you have Malay,Chinese,Indian and Sri Lankan cultures all competing with each other to make the best food....and its to the visitors benefit...every meal was a culinary orgasm

Ditto on this. Some of the best food that I've eaten in Asia was while I was in Malaysia (Penang), and I was only there for a couple of days. It seemed to me that Malaysian food was of the same stock as Singapore food: spicy, good, and cheap as hell.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the food is amazing!!!

never been to the country.. my dad went said its like Bangkok..

but the food is awesome.. back home malaysian food is VERY popular!
skinhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First foreign city / country I ever set foot in. Hot. Try the laksa. Many styles, all good. Malaysian food good. yes
TECO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked what I had - similar to Thai food, the stuff I ate

rice, fried pork with chilies and basil with a fried egg on top

sprinkle on the vinegar, chili powder and spicy fish sauce, and there ya go!

the food on the whole peninsula is great imo
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the roti bread... layers of flat bread that totally melts in your mouth umm!
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:

What, the Indian food....??? I never found the malaysian stuff to be THAT hot. Actually Malaysian food itself is probably the blandest of the ethnic foods there. The Indian and Chinese are far, far superior.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevorcollins wrote:
kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:

What, the Indian food....??? I never found the malaysian stuff to be THAT hot. Actually Malaysian food itself is probably the blandest of the ethnic foods there. The Indian and Chinese are far, far superior.

I was thinking something along similar lines. Indonesian food is very bland and just not so tasty compared to Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam.

I was thinking the same.. Malaysia (and Singapore for that matter), has really good food because Indian and Chinese is available everywhere as well the traditional Malay food.
articulate_ink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia is a culinary orgasm. I had a Malaysian boyfriend for a while and spent about six weeks over there with him. The food's amazing because it combines elements of Chinese, Indian, Malay, and Nyonya cuisines. Amazing Thai food can be found there as well. Having a bf who's an unrepentant food snob is helpful. I ate well, everywhere from hawker stalls with great noodles to some of the best restaurants in the country.

Kuala Lumpur is fun. It's off the beaten track enough to be fairly tourist-free, and it's big enough to be interesting. It has a metro, and taxis are cheap, so you can get around easily. The nightlife's pretty good. The shopping's almost impossible to beat. There aren't many must-see attractions as there are in Bangkok, but if you plan to spend a few days there, you'll have a good time.

Don't miss Malacca. If you can make it to Penang, it's worth the trip.

PM me for restaurant and club recommendations. The ex and I are still good friends, and I can see to it you'll gain a few pounds while you're there.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:

just like princess.
yangban

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysian food is exellent. On the island of Penang, right near the Chinatown area, they have night hawkers. You can have fried rice with chicken, veggies or beef. Drinks are soda, but they also have fresh smoothies and juices made from bananas, pineapple, watermelon, or carrot (very sweet). One interesting hawker had a cart where everything was on colored sticks. The colors represented price. You dip your tofu, meat, or veggie into boiling water and cook. Then you pour sauce over it - all while standing up. You set aside your colored sticks and pay when you have eaten your fill. There are pubs with all kinds of beers, western dishes and Chinese dishes. There are excellent Indian restarants where you can get naan bread, tandoori chicken and wash it down with soda or iced tea. It is wicked cheap, too. There are beautiful mosques and lovely Buddhist temples, not far from each other, but always in peace. The beach is never far away. You can ride a tram up the mountain, or watch a traditional Chinese funeral. There are large and spacious mansions, hotels and mind-blowing wealth. You can also stay in nice guest houses and pay $5 a night. They can arrange for you to take a 4-hour ferry to Indonesia, right across the water.

In the cool Cameron Highlands, you can visit the tea plantations. Although I have never been to Europe, it looks a lot like what I think Europe looks like, with rolling, green hills, quaint German-style hotels and interesting shops. There are delicious cakes and tasty pies and the best mint tea ever. On cool evenings after being in beautiful parks and going on jungle walks, you could enjoy great Indian food, or have dinner in the guest house with other travelers, where you can pay as little as $3 a night to stay in a dorm.

Kuala Lumpur is huge. It is very hot and very cityish. The Chinatown there is booming and looks like a scene out of a Hong Kong film. The Muslims, Indians and Chinese all have their own sections, but work together and mingle in peace. The people are so lovely, polite, welcoming and warm. Although I like the other areas more than Kuala Lumpur, it is worth a look. Most everyone in Malaysia speaks English, making it easy to get around, but a lot of the TV is in Bahasa Malay and many people speak this language as well. Chinese speak Hokkien, a dialect from southeastern China.

I love Malaysia. Thanks for bringing back these happy memories. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: