Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dont make the same mistake I did and lend money to someone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rush

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Dont make the same mistake I did and lend money to someone Reply with quote

I should have known better but I befriended a Pakistani guy who I trusted perhap due to the fact that he had helped a lot of people get jobs and seemed like a general all round good guy... heck he even was a pastor at the local church... anyway he needed money for a business visa so me and a few others lent him money... I gave him 1 million won.

Guess what he skipped town, Ive learnt my lesson now its just a shame that when you overlook bias ie his race... it comes back and smacks you
in the face

Now for the important question.. how can I get my revenge.. He may still
be in Korea, Im sure immigration would be interested in his situation, just
dont know if I should stoop that low. Wink
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the revenge alright, and do anything that it takes. He skipped town on ya. Pakistan is a slimy hell hole anyways. I remember when I was living in Hawaii there was this pakistan guy who was trying to marry this rather ugly but slightly wealthy (and somewhat nice) Japanese woman, trying and trying and it was so obvious, I mean he was disgusting in his gold digging, we're talking atrociously obvious. Anyways, after about 8 months of their ongoing relationship, she dumped him. I don't have any difficulty in figuring out why.

And by the way in regards to your comment about overlooking one's culture. I've often found that by having a "color-blind" approach in dealing with people (i.e. being afraid to listen to one's senses and take notice to their heavy differences) that has been the ultimate way to get myself burned. The fact of the matter is I've found that when it comes to safety and survival, judgementalism and even stereotypes of various perspectives -- employed moderately but freely -- are very necessary in keeping from danger. And in this world of dog-eat-dog country-eat-country culture-crush-culture most people recognize that it's only natural.
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thing happen to me. The girl was Australian and was my best friend here, she owed me about 2.5 million. I was meant to spend the weekend with her in Seoul only to find she had done a runner from our city. Well highly pissed off i tracked her to Incheon (6 hours) and caught her at the check in counter. Asked for my cash she gave me 2Million so i took her laptop aswel.

I was lucky and have learnt my lesson
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwioutofthenest wrote:

exactly.

DO NOT TRUST AUSTRALIANS!!!
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just because I'm Dutch and naturally tight-fisted, but I'd never lend anyone not related to me that much money, no matter how nice of a person they seemed.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I never give any $$ to anyone.. thats a great way to lose a friend.

Also, I wouldn't base it on nationality.. there are plenty of people who look just like me and would do it to you just as quick.. you never know..

I always always tell people that I'm not the one to borrow from because I don't have anything (which is technically true).. but even if its not.. its better to just always stick with that.

Also, borrowing is a habit. I don't make it a habit, so I never borrow from anyone. Others seem to borrow all of the time. If they do, they are someone to definetely watch out for.

I was hanging out with a couple guys for a month or so.. but everytime I saw them they didn't have money.. always asking for a free drink or beer or whatever they could. I always refused them.. but others I knew didn't refuse thinking its only this or that. Later I learned they began to have more and more serious $$ problems.. and I just stayed far and clear from them.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i owe eamo 400,000 won. I'm planning on doing a runner.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. O well. Lent a Kiwi a million this month.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lesson in life, unfortunately: do not lend anyone more money than you can afford to lose.

I will sound very naive, but give this fellow at least a little while to come back or contact you before giving up on him, as unlikely as it is.

Ken:>
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question though.. if you gave him money for a business visa.. then why did you believe he skipped town? But then another paragraph you assume he's here and immigration would like to know his status? I mean, if he borrowed money for a business visa.. then immigration wouldn't have a problem with his status?

Also, sounds like you know alot of people he knows.. same church (I guess) and other friends got jobs through him or something. Just go locate him and bring it up to him.. if he got his visa.. and when he might get that $ back to you..
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:
i owe eamo 400,000 won. I'm planning on doing a runner.

I'll spam your e-mail address with pictures of my arse-bruise untill you relent and pay up.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:
Maybe it's just because I'm Dutch and naturally tight-fisted, but I'd never lend anyone not related to me that much money, no matter how nice of a person they seemed.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm more of a White Knight than I originally thought-I will lend money on the following evaluation

1) if they are good fol

2) Am I willing to write it off in their time of need

I've yet to lose money.

kiwioutofthenest I will buy the four bottles of vegetable oil my treat
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:
kiwioutofthenest wrote:

exactly.

DO NOT TRUST AUSTRALIANS!!!

Hey!!!

Though I suppose we are all decended from convicts..............

Anybody wanna lend me some money for ....... um...... a business venture?
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont lend money, I give it. Seriously. If you lend money then mentally you should write it off, and if you get it back its a bonus. That way you'll be more careful about how much you give and who you give it to. If the borrower is a good friend then they'll come though for you another time. If the borrower is not a good friend then dont give it to them. Be especially careful in ROK, there are a lot of people with absolutely no conscience whatsoever about ripping fellow expats off. That story about the aussie girl is horrible.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal, I had to smile at your response about lending money 'cause I'm Dutch too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: