Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I hate being a woman waygook
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Why I hate being a woman waygook Reply with quote

This no doubt will start the flame war from 'nam but I feel the need for a rant. But I feel the need to share why I hate being a women waygook

Weird dudes who feel they have the right to touch me. Ok, maybe I'm just hypersenitive to this at the moment but I walk down the street some guy tries to cop a feel. My boss's husband strokes my arms and tells me I have dirty skin. And don't even get me started on the subway.

Being asked 'are you russian' if I show even the slighest glimpse of flesh (I even being asked how much I cost). But if I dress down then I get called a pig. While my male work mates get called movie stars, even if they haven't bathed in days Rolling Eyes

The cinderella syndrome - ie. where do I find nice shoes over korean size 250?

The A cup syndrome - Where can I find a D cup that isn't a maternity one? And while I'm at it do people feel the need to point out that I'm not an A cup at inapporiate times?

Nuclear orange hair - You want to get rid of your regrowth but run the risk of looking like ronald mcdonald.

Being caught short of tampons and not being able to duck into a corner store and pick them up (it's like a million times worse when your about to go rafting! ).

Waygookin guys with chip on their shoulder. 'Hey your just a fat/ugly/deseperate/feminazi' who should stop eating bk, spend hours in the bathroom and become more docile so that men will like you.

Reason for the rant - I got derreked in Itaewon.
I was out partying in the 'twon (Not my choice) with some guy friends of mine during chuseok. After the guys I was with scored some koreans and ditched me I was stuck in Itaewon on my little lonesome. After a taxi driver tried to rip me off I ended up in down the base end of the 'twon where I was grabbed by three guys. Being outnumbered I realised that something not nice was on the cards and there was nothing I could do about it. Fourtantley a solider saw what happened out the corner of his eye and him and his buddy came to my aid. If they hadn't, I would be in a very bad way right now.

For those who will say stupid CLG, you were probably drunk/scantily clad and deserved why you got for being itaewon by yourself at night. I had been on my non booze thing for a few weeks and was conservatively dressed (except for my strappy sandals).

Ok now my reality check. Yes I know not all korean guys are weird, call me a hooker/pig, that there isn't a market for tampons here, I have big b reasts, not all waygook guys are losers described and most are actually good guys (like my american heros (sorry to sound corny but they pretty much saved my life), most of the regular male posters here, and the guys I work with), and yes I'm in another country where the cultural norms are different. But I felt the need to get this off my chest.

Thank yer for listening and goodnight

CLG

Last edited by crazylemongirl on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're okay. Don't play around with Itaewon, and kick evil taxi drivers in the nuts.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Why I hate being a women waygook Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:

Weird dudes who feel they have the right to touch me. Ok, maybe I'm just hypersenitive to this at the moment but I walk down the street some guy tries to cop a feel. My boss's husband strokes my arms and tells me I have dirty skin. And don't even get me started on the subway.

Happens to me too. And I'm not female or even gay.

Glad to hear that you're alright though. Cool
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sounds as cranky as that boy looks in your avatar Evil or Very Mad

Big resounding "here here" (or is it "hear, hear"? Confused) over here.

I've actually witnessed the freak magnet thing happen with CLG. This sort of thing doesn't happen to me (maybe only twice in 2 years)... but I've seen it happen to her. It's very annoying and disturbing. Yes, they're freckles, get over it, move along people.

That was one hell of a close call you had in Itaewon too. I for one will be much more vigilant. It's too easy to get careless and feel falsely safe in this country.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really sucks... you deserve to be treated better than that. Glad that things didnt turn out worse... and glad there were some respectable guys there to save you from disaster.

did you say d cups?
Saxiif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good to hear that you made that through that relatively OK. I really question wether I would have the guts to come here if I was female, us male waygooks definately have things easier...
Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ton of respect for our sisters putting up the good fight here
in the nuthouse. Don't take any crappola from Korean male sub-species.
If you need extermination help, PM me.
denz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 guys? koreans or otherwise?
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ladies gotta keep it together. Stay with the Canadian guys. They are all upstanding pillars of the community. Wink
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why I hate being a women waygook Reply with quote

I do think it would be extremely difficult for a woman to live in Korea.. I often wonder what makes the ones click who do stay here.

crazylemongirl wrote:
After a taxi driver tried to rip me off I ended up in down the base end of the 'twon where I was grabbed by three guys. Being outnumbered I realised that something not nice was on the cards and there was nothing I could do about it.

How'd the guys grab you and what seemed to be happening? Just curious..

Itaewon's been a little weird for me lately.. its always been.. but for some reason I've ended up hanging out there more than I have before in my days in Korea.. I gotta stop doing that!
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the glad you're OK. Shame on your friend for ditching you for like that. Razz It obviously could have been a very dangerous situation.

It can be hard being a foreign woman alone (or any foreign person alone--especially if you don't look tough like Mr. T). We all have to be vigilant I guess.

I say dress how you feel comfortable and remember there's safety in numbers. Don't worry about what people say to you about your appearance because Korean people often annoy friends, etc. about their appearance. And if someone touches your arm because it has freckles, etc. you are perfectly within your rights to tell them to stop because you don't like it, it makes you feel uncomfortable. The people you are around more often will at least stop bothering you that way.
Sarah-in-Korea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CLG,

First, I haven't had a chance to speak to you yet so I want to say how thoroughly farked off I am that this happened to you. It's unacceptable in any location or situation. I am interested, like others, in where the attackers are from, but the fact is that this isn't a race attack, it's a sex (meaning female) attack. I also find it disturbing that three men with such similar screwed up ideas could get themselves together and do such a thing. I know that if any man I'm acquainted with suggested to another of my friends "Hey, let's find a chick and -do whatever- to her", they'd get the crap beaten out of them by the other guys! Not all men are evil though, just those who don't know how to act civilized, so please don't lose faith.

Second, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really respect those of you women who travel by themselves. It takes a lot of guts given that there are scumbags strewn throughout the globe.

Third, I'd like to extend my invitation to you to all the other female teachers here. If there's anyone here who wants to learn some practical self-defence tactics, I can help you and would love to. I was a SD teacher back in NZ and know some really simple things that might help you feel a little safer walking around by yourself. Warning though: you may be tempted to use them in the classroom too!

If anyone is interested, then post it so others can see who's up for it, or PM me. A few hours together on a Sunday is all we'd need. It'd also be a good chance for a girly get-together in this male-saturated city (Seoul). By the way boys, would any of you like to volunteer to be a dummy?

Don't be a victim, you've got to take the power back! (fade out with hard core guitar riff).
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god CLG, if you keep this up there may hafta be a new verb(CLG'd?) set aside for bad drinking experiences Wink Good to know that you are okay tho.

I have my rants about being a girl in this culture, don't we all? I've found western brand tampons at Carrefour (not super convenient, but better than nothing) and was amazed to hear that D cups came in Korea at all Shocked I've been ordering from Victoria's Secret but if anyone has better ideas, I'm open to them . .

About the self defense classes, count me in. I've wanted to take up a martial art or something for that purpose but my work schedule is too chaotic. Mad
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edit]

Last edited by Moldy Rutabaga on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
You ladies gotta keep it together. Stay with the Canadian guys. They are all upstanding pillars of the community. Wink

"That's so cute," she says as she pinches the cheaks of the sweet looking boy/soldier/avatar.

edit:
' glad you're okay CLG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: