Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Koreans less forgiving of us?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Are Koreans less forgiving of us? Reply with quote

With regard to women's clothing, do you think Koreans are less forgiving of foreigners?
What I mean is I see plenty of Korean girls wearing mini-skirts, short shorts, revealing tops, etc.. But if I were to walk around in these clothes everyone would look at me like I was a hooker, or ask me if I was Russian.

Last edited by Howard Roark on Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, they're less forgiving! I guess you missed my rant a few weeks ago when I got lectured for wearing a tank top on the subway. . . I guess the perception that we're all women of questionable morals Twisted Evil makes them feel threatened?
just because

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Koreans are less forgiving of everyone who are not in their immediate family or who aren't in the red light district. You must be a virgin or a hoe in this country. there is no middle ground. Just slightly sarcastic guys.
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's simply bred out of jealousy.

At the risk of a major generalisation, we can safely say that western women tend to have better figures than the average Korean woman. They can't stand this fact. Drives them completely nutty you see.

Here's some light haired *waygookin* putting on the same mini or top and looking about 100 times better than her Korean counterpart. How dare they.. the sheer nerve of it! :)

It's also a shame that preconceived notions of western women in nice clothes are of Russian prostitutes. I guess first impressions really do make an impact.

jae.
Skarp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky one this.

Wearing revealing clothes will get some adverse reactions in the Korean conservative culture. I'm told Korean girls get much the same reaction from older people....

It's a choice you have to make. Either dress like your gran - or take some flak. It's a sexual revolution and there will be some resistance from the old guard.

BTW - I find this kind of post very useful. They help people contemplatng a year in Korea to get a feel for the small but significant irritations.

Skarp
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebea wrote:

At the risk of a major generalisation, we can safely say that western women tend to have better figures than the average Korean woman. They can't stand this fact. Drives them completely nutty you see.

Your generalization is wrong.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

64% of U.S. adults are overweight or obese, thus speaks the CDC.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think jealousy has anything to do with reactions to clothing here. I think the fact they missed the social revolutions of the 60s and 70s has a lot more to do with it.

I'm more convinced that we should continue to be who we want to and kick the next guy who gropes out chests in the family jewels, but I'm feeling a bit militant at the moment.

CLG
maiden's iron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Here's some light haired *waygookin* putting on the same mini or top and looking about 100 times better than her Korean counterpart. How dare they.. the sheer nerve of it! Smile

Yep, does sound like a generalization but is it? Not sure if most Koreans are jealous of the Western figure but I think they are aware of how much more appealing and superior it is to most others. There is no way around it: all things being equal, the Western figure is superior. I think this is one of the reasons why Asians--especially Koreans--like changing their physical traits like colored contact lenses, nose jobs, etc. I've seen incredibly beautiful Korean women but nowhere near the beauty that I've seen in Western countries. After having spent a few years in Korea, I am beginning to see past the facade like the "pancake mix" on many faces, the nice hair dye and the sharp dresses. It's quite rare to see a beautiful figure on a Korean woman. Many are just too thin or not well proportioned. A nice pair of jeans or dress can sure fool a lot of people. I didn't become aware of this since I just saw only Koreans. It's kind of difficult to notice when you don't have anything else to compare. The beautiful skin and face is their strongest attraction but I prefer the whole package. Of course, I didn't notice these things until I went back home. When I saw some of the women in the states or Canada, it was like comparing a Korean car to an Aston Martin Vanquish. My opinion but a very strong one.
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/
Sarah-in-Korea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm constantly thinking about this topic. Having been here for over two years I can honestly say that my sense of style has changed a lot to become more conservative. When I went back to NZ, even I was surprised at my reaction to what women wear! I have never been prudent but Korea is changing me (a little). When the topic of tank/sleeveless tops came up recently (Peppermint, I know the thread you mean, and thanks for your response about the self defence) I asked a Korean woman who'd lived in NZ about it (that night she was wearing a sleeveless top too). At first she seemed surprised that anyone would berrate someone for wearing one, but after thinking about it told me that bare shoulders are a kind of old traditional hang-up. She likened it to Muslim religion and said that some old people still don't like it, but younger people are changing.

I don't think it's fair to say that "we" have better figures than "them" as the only people who really look good generally are models and they come in all cultures. Korean women, like us, just have to make do with what they have, and Korean men don't seem to have a problem with them (neither do all the foreign male teachers I know!). The only insult I can think of (to make myself feel better!) is that they have flat bums and no muscles.

I think the reson people react so much to us is that we have more ASSETS that are obvious. Packing more in the front than the average Korean woman means that certain "qualities" of ours stand out more than others (excuse the pun). Maybe people are genuinely surprised to see anything bigger than a tripple A cup.

Personally, I've never been groped here, or anywhere for that matter. It's a shame actually because I'm dying to teach someone a lesson! The only problem I've ever had was with a kiwi guy in a bar here who kept telling me he wanted to do me in the toilets, even tho my boyfriend was there! He got an earful rather than a zipperful tho.
Sarah-in-Korea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered one time I was groped. I was at Lotte DS in the bathroom looking in the mirror when the cleaning ajuma saw me. She started smiling and saying lots of things I couldn't understand, then walked behind me and gave me a hug before walking off again! I checked, she hadn't stolen my wallet, but I couldn't decide whether to feel amused or violated. Naturally I chose the former, it's the only way to make sense of it all. Very Happy
jaebea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, 64%. I knew it was pretty bad, but maybe I've been weaned on too many sitcoms with all too perfect people with beautiful bodies and faces. Two thirds, goddamn.. Health science, particularly in the fields of cardiovascular disorders seems to be a good place to be over the next 20 years...

Suburban Australia seems to be heading down the same path as well, which alarms me to no end. It's one thing to read the stats, and another to see the reality of those statistics in your face.

In any case, I think my sarcasm was a little understated in my original post. The point was that there doesn't really seem to be a good reason besides cultural differences. I'd been brought up with Confucian/Christian ideals regarding chastity, divorce, and pretty much everything else, but life in Australia has simply reduced them to a subconscious level. Not to say that Australia is a depraved country partaking in nothing but cake and sodomy, but Australia has far more liberal views on regards to gender roles, particularly womens rights and sexual liberation compared to Korea.

As CLG said, perhaps the lack of social and cultural revolutions in Korea is one of the reasons for this conservative mindset.

jae.
bugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My generalization is that, after spending a summer vacation in Korea with many thin Korean women, I miss my Western women with lard a_ _ es, double chins, and thunder thighs.
desultude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs said:

Quote:
My generalization is that, after spending a summer vacation in Korea with many thin Korean women, I miss my Western women with lard a_ _ es, double chins, and thunder thighs.

Bless your everloving honest heart.

Too skinny and too fat are unhealthy, anything in between is just normal. Its whats in the heart and mind that matter, and that last.

You can find your ideal with the bodacious bunda (Brazilian Portuguese- bottom) and wake up ten years later married to the spitting image to your b1tchy mother-in-law. Marry the skinny little Korean princess, and wake up in ten years with the ajuma from hell.

Marry one stereotype and you may end up with another in the long run.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nice try, but this is about the most inncorrect statement I have ever read on this board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: