Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahh, October in China. .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Ahh, October in China. . Reply with quote

Okay guys, here's my question I just found out I have four days off next week Very Happy and decided I wanna go to Beijing.

I heard there's a big holiday there tho at the start of October. Will that mean traffic nightmares and crowds like it does here? I'm not planning on traveling around the country- just toing the tourist trap thing in the main city.

As well, package tour or independent? I'm leaning towards package, just cause of the time and language constraints, but any imput would be good.

(I'd check on the China forum, but I need to register separately for that, and I'm guessing since Dave Sperling's on the road, that might take a while)
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my Beijing LP, October 1 is National Day, but that is the only holiday listed. Traffic in Beijing is fierce any day of the week. Smile
I am of two minds about taking a package tour. Thre were no headaches on the tour, and everything (food, lodging, things to see) was taken care of. Our tour guide was really cool too. However, by not going on the tours, you do have a greater freedom of movement. You don't always have to eat Chinese food (though I LOVED it when I was there) and don't have to visit what seems to be a factory show room every day!
travellingwilly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spent ten days in beijing last july and the traffic is just as bad as it is here.i suppose that it would be worse on a holiday,but then again,it is the same in any country on a holiday.
independent travel is a good option,because if on a package tour for example they take you to the great wall,which i presume you would be wanting,then you would more than likely i think go to one of very over touristed places,such as badaling.wheras independent travel,you can make it to less visited areas,and enjoy a better day.
just my opinion anyway.
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travellingwilly wrote:
wheras independent travel,you can make it to less visited areas,and enjoy a better day.
just my opinion anyway.

Right. And who wants to leave Korea, only to hear NOTHING BUT &%^# Korean all around you????? Wink
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even have time to get your visa...?
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:
Do you even have time to get your visa...?

Shoot...good point...you WILL need one, even just for a visit.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the concern guys. There's been a major amount of confusion about getting aticket- more on that later, but the visa thing has been the easiest part so far. I went to the consulate, with form, passport and pic and will pick it up tomorrow. Thank goodness for express service!

I have decided to go it alone, armed with a lonely planet guide and a hotel reservation. If anyone has any suggestions on MUST SEE things, I'd be grateful.
katydid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
I have decided to go it alone, armed with a lonely planet guide and a hotel reservation. If anyone has any suggestions on MUST SEE things, I'd be grateful.

Well, without question, you MUST see the Great Wall. Try to go to one of the less crowded areas of it though. Also, I think you must see Tianamen Square.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go to the great wall. Amazing. But don't be fooled like I was... it's more like a neverending staircase than a wall Wink Check out the Forbidden City (where they shot some of crouching tiger) and maybe the Summer Palace if it's a nice day. The Summer Palace is absolutely HUGE. I did a rickshaw tour through some older parts of Beijing... narrow windy streets, old guys in their Mao suits everywhere. Six bike collision, kind of fun. Then there's a market in the heart of downtown - a huge shopping district... and this market has all kinds of weird food (though not so weird now I've been in Asia for a while) and you eat fried scorpions & grasshoppers. It was quite an eyeful for me! I had some wicked nights out at clubs too, but as I was whisked from one place to the next by others in the know, I have no idea where they were Confused but think Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom opening scenes (Kate capshaw doing the "Anything Goes" routine)... then it was a bar completely filled with different level benches for dancing (no dancing on the floor) and another HUGE club that was soooo big there was nothing much else to do but put your arms up in the air and wiggle about 3cm to the left and back... then head back to the bar area for more vodka once the groping becomes intolerable Very Happy ... 4 days and about 15 hours of sleep... I crammed in a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: