Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this anything out of the ordinary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djsmnc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Is this anything out of the ordinary? Reply with quote

I have read numerous posts from people complaining about Hagwons being nothing more than day-care/babysitting centers. While I admit that one school I work at (probably illegal, but I'm not worried about it based on the salary) in the morning for an hour requires me to color alphabet pictures with four and five year olds who can't distinguish between a Kleenex and an expensive shirt let alone learn a completely foreign language, most of my effort has been spent teaching advanced material to older students.

Throughout the last six and a half months I have taught math, phonetics, TOEIC and TOEFL materials and argumentative essay writing. The courses are often designed for a handful of students that plan to study in the US or Canada, whose parents want them to prepare for high-school and university level coursework. One of my classes was for a student who needed me to help him with the summer reading required by the Canadian high-school he was going to attend, including weekly vocabulary tests. Another student had to take the TOEFL exam to be admitted into a prestigious university.

I enjoy the work that I do and feel like I've actually made a difference at the end of each day. My favorite case is a student who started a conversation class of mine in September (with NO concept of English whatsoever) and left 3 months later with the ability to carry on complete conversations.

I was informed by a girl at another school that this type of work is illegal and goes way beyond the requirements of any contract. I'm just wondering if anyone else here has been in the same boat? I'm preparing to go through an SAT prep class soon, and also teach American history (EVERYTHING) to a young fellow who is going to high school in the US in a few years. I don't really mind the fact that it may be illegal, because I'm treated like gold at my school (after oh-so-many months of concern and stress), but I'm wondering if anyone else has jobs like this that they are able to consider "worthwile"?
PC Bahng or Bust

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have one. I teach a nine year old girl that had lived in the States and apparently learned very little and she has gone up to a third grade American reading level in the past year after being unable to spell words like who what and why when I first got her. You sound very organized. I wish I could say that I was actually teaching something interesting, other than this particular kid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: