Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we study foreign language?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emiclover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Should we study foreign language? Reply with quote

I think we should learn other foreign languages, not just English.
How about you?

In Japan, jounior high school students study English.
How about your country?
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! We should also study the language of the country we want to live in.

In Germany, we study English in the junior high school, then, we can choose to study either latin or french. On language-based high schools we can choose even more languages, like Greece, Chinese, dependent on the school.
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how crazy you are about foreign languages and how gifted you are for foreign languages.

Foreign language-learning requires not only gift but also interest. As for me, it's fun to learn english. but I am not sure another foreign language would get me so interested. If you take something just for fun, you can do it the best, if you do it just for the purpose of exam, it would be a pain in the ass for you to learn foreign languages. I hated English when I learned it for exam, back then I threw all english books out of my windows after the exam finished.

But not anymore Laughing
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the tv-series "friends"? I think it's wonderful
RedRose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:

Who doesn't?
CP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to study foreign languages, in my opinion. I can speak enough French and German to get by, and when I go to France or Germany, or run into anyone who speaks those languages, it is a real pleasure to be able to communicate in something other than English.
garfield_jesse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:

I like TV-Serries " Friends "

Beside i'm watching TV-Serries " Heroes".
garfield_jesse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to learn forgein language. I think that is the effective way to communicate together.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example English. It's a very useful language
chi4elga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: In my opinion... Reply with quote

In my opinion, people who want to study foreign language should do so.
It has many advantages to study foreign language. If we can use many languages, we can talk a lot of people in many foreign countries all the more� can know a lot of different cultures, and can make friends all over the world. Actually, I study foreign languages (English and Russian) because I enjoy talking with people living foreign countries!
However, it has some disadvantage too. At first, we must need some money to learn foreign language. So people who have little money cannot get enough lessons. In the second, we may neglect our own mother language because of studying foreign language too much. For example in Japan , there is a problem that some of children can�t use Japanese correct because they have studied English since they was so little.
Studying foreign languages has both of advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, I think that people who hope to study foreign languages only should do so.
contra10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes complete sense to study english, its the most spoken language in the world and is the business language of the world, so it is necessary
Stephanie S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think often English is the default study language just because it is the world language at the moment and is very universally useful. Of course, if someone has the interest or need to study another language, they should go ahead and do that. However, to replace English in school curricula, or to require students to learn other languages in addition to English, could cause problems, either with a gap of knowledge (in the first case) or with too much pressure on study time (in the second case). I feel lucky that I grew up speaking English and have been able to focus my study efforts on other languages. That being said though, English grammar is not very hard compared to a lot of other languages--just the spelling is the problem. Wink

Stephanie
Elanguest English Language School, Malta
Afra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an increasingly connected world, foreign language proficiency is more important than ever. Learning another language has many cognitive, academic, and social benefits.

In times of economic pressures, schools must evaluate course offerings to decide which classes are most important. Unfortunately, in the United States, foreign language programs are often deemed less important than others and are subsequently reduced or eliminated. Cutting back on foreign language education, however, means depriving students of a very valuable opportunity. This article considers the research that has shown multilingualism to be associated with many cognitive, academic, and social benefits. The Importance of Foreign Language Education
Academic Writing Services | Resume Writing Services
Order | 35% Discount | Discount Code: PROMO35
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: