Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hello, does anybody remind of me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad-miral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh... Actually, I'm very warm-hearted and a softie, look at my homepage. I have drawn a picture of my fiancee doesn't she look nice? (Scroll the page down)
Cristi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys!

It's been ages from the last time I posted anything... Please say welcome to me, I feel all confused, there are so many new things here! Dave's done a great job with the page Very Happy

I'll need some time to get to know it again...

Oh well, hope you guys are all great.

Greets,

Cristina.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
Mark Twain.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cristina,

Welcome back. Smile

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
Cristi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
Hello Cristina,

Welcome back. Smile

THANK YOU SO MUCH Very Happy

Cristi.

Mark Twain.
Pommezani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!!!

I've been myself quite busy and away from ESL... but I'm gonna try to be here more!! hehe
ad-miral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Christi! Happy Halloween!
Cristi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!!

Admiral, some people here, in Costa Rica, celebrate Halloween, but for me, it doesn't mean anything... But thank you anyway... Very Happy Do you guys celebrate Halloween or don't mind about it? Question

See ya! Wink

Mark Twain.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I'm too old for standing in front of a neighbour's door, wearing some costumes, asking for sweets.
Pommezani

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in France, we don't have Halloween, but a few years ago, it's started coming in France, and kids were asking sweets wearing clothes of witch etc and shops everywhere were orange and black.. But now, people start to think it's commercial day and we don't do it so much anymore... and the 1st of November is the day of dead people (catholic day-off) so we take more care of this day then Halloween...
Cristi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pommezani wrote:
in France, we don't have Halloween, but a few years ago, it's started coming in France, and kids were asking sweets wearing clothes of witch etc and shops everywhere were orange and black.. But now, people start to think it's commercial day and we don't do it so much anymore... and the 1st of November is the day of dead people (catholic day-off) so we take more care of this day then Halloween...

That's exactly like in here. Though I've never celebrated Halloween or the day of Dead People since I'm neither into it nor religious...

By the way, what's not commercial nowadays...? I think we have to preserve our cultures and get from others what's good for our societies and always respect each others.

Pommezani, I want to know if something I've heard about France is true, if in your country you got almost no McDonald's and that kind of fast food restaurants?

Bye bye!

Cristi. Wink

Mark Twain.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristi wrote:
That's exactly like in here. Though I've never celebrated Halloween or the day of Dead People since I'm neither into it nor religious...
Hey, you don't have to be religious to enjoy a good festival. Just as Clarissa about the most famous non-religious religious festival in the World! Very Happy
Quote:
By the way, what's not commercial nowadays...? I think we have to preserve our cultures and get from others what's good for our societies and always respect each others.
Amen to that. Societies will import ideas (including festivals) from other cultures and give them a local twist to match local sensibilities, often losing the original meaning of the holiday.
For example, I come from a predominantly Christian culture. For us, Christmas is a holiday for family events, and New Years Eve/Day is a time for festivities and parties. But my wife comes from a predominantly Buddhist culture. For her, Christmas is a time of festivities and drunken office parties, while New Years Day is a time for family. When we blend them, we try to do it in a way that shows respect for what the other person considers solemn and sacred.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a day will come, where all of us celebrate Chinese New Year.
Cristi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys!

Bob, you're right, I don't have to be religious to celebrate it. Actually, we celebrate Christmas and all, but I just see it as a way to get the family united... Smile

It's also true about importing cultures, that's what globalization is about, isn't it? All this has its roots on commerce and are the great companies the ones who make culture an industry on many aspects (clothes, food, interests, technology, language, work...).

It's good about your wife and you. Oh, by the way, I love Buddhism, for me is just sooo interesting. I get all excited about cultures and food and languages. I love all of them! Very Happy

Our Christmas is interesting, because my parents are agnostic too so we go first to my granda's house (my mum's mum) and have dinner and all, in a very costarican way and later we got to my uncle's house (my dad's bro) and we dinner again.

For me is very cool, and I have so many cousins, like 25 on my mum's part, so it's quite crazy at my gran's and later I go to my uncle's and everything's quiet since my dad has only 3 brothers...

Anyway, I gotta go now...
Bye!!!!!!

Cristi.

Mark Twain.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the sense in religion. I don't mean that I don't believe in spiritual things, I only can't understand a church demanding "church-fees" from the believers here in Germany. God isn't greedy, I suppose.
Pommezani

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha!! Laughing "church-fees" lol well, here in France, you can give money to the church, but the money goes for electricity of the church, buy candles for the church, and clean the church.. I'm not sure if a part of it goes to the prest, cause there is not so much people in churchs now in France so the church doesn't get so much "church-fees" lol

about Xmas, you can see pictures of Xmas on my blog (just type Pommezani on google, you should find it hehe)! Here in France, Xmas is about presents and family. We have dinner or lunch that last all day lol all together, and we get presents and offer presents to who we love! I love offering presents Razz I always spend a long time put the decorative paper around and I'm always excited like I wanna see if my present will make this person happy!! Very Happy

about Mc Donalds.. well we have a LOT of Mc Donalds, not so much Burger King or KFC (maybe only in Paris, and not so much..). But we have one called Quick, which is like Mc Donalds but better Laughing but still not really good for health hehe so for fast food, that's all we have. We have Pizza Hut too, but it's not a fast food right? hm. what else.

for Admiral: I did Zhong qiu jie last year!! Very Happy but this year, any of my chinese friend told me so I missed it Crying or Very sad no mooncake for me in Sept Crying or Very sad and about chinese new year, people have party for it in Paris, not only chinese people. It starts to be popular in France Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 50 of 52

Jump to: