Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A raped woman was sentenced to jail!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: A raped woman was sentenced to jail! Reply with quote

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi court sentenced a woman who had been gang raped to six months in jail and 200 lashes � more than doubling her initial penalty for being in the car of a man who was not a relative, a newspaper reported Thursday.

The decision by the Qatif General Court came in a case that had sparked rare debate about the kingdom's justice system when it surfaced more than a year ago.

In its decision Wednesday, the court also roughly doubled prison sentences for the seven men convicted of raping the 19-year-old woman, the Arab News reported on its English-language Web site.

According to Arab News, the court said the woman's punishment was increased because of "her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media."

She had initially been sentenced to 90 lashes after being convicting her of violating Saudi's rigid laws on segregation of the sexes.

Under Saudi Arabia's interpretation of Islamic Sharia law, women are not allowed in public in the company of men other than their male relatives.

The initial sentences for the men convicted of the gang rape ranged from 10 months to five years in prison. Their new sentences range from two to nine years, the paper said.

The attack took place in 2006. The woman has said that it occurred as she tried to retrieve her picture from a male high school student she used to know. While in the car with the student, two men got into the vehicle and drove them to a secluded area. She said she was raped there by seven men, three of whom also attacked her friend.

Reports of the story triggered debate about Saudi Arabia's legal system, in which judges have wide discretion in punishing a criminal, rules of evidence are shaky and sometimes no defense lawyers are present. The result, critics say, are sentences left to the whim of judges.

The judges, appointed by the king, have a wide discretion in handing down sentences, often said to depend on their whim. A rapist, for instance, could receive anywhere from a light or no sentence, to death.

The woman was identified in the media only as the Girl from Qatif. The case was referred back to the General Court by an appeals court last summer, after the woman's attorney argued the verdict was too lenient for the rapists and unjust for the victim.

The court also banned the lawyer from defending her, confiscated his license to practice law and summoned him to a disciplinary hearing later this month.

"I explained to them that it was my job to do everything legal in order to serve my client. But they did not listen," the lawyer, Abdul Rahman al-Lahem, was quoted by the paper as saying.

Link
Leon Young

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbelieveable, in China the seven men was about to be sentenced to ten or more than ten years.

i felt sorry for the girl....
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! They should be punished, not the girl. Those judges are inhuman and this law they have is beyond nonsense. Nonetheless, one person, I guess is a Muslim, told me to respect this law. The nerve of this person asking me to respect an injustice practice. Mad
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not surprised.
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
I am not surprised.

Shocked Really? Even when they sentenced her to jail and whipped her for something wasn't her fault?
asterix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of legally sanctioned abuse of women is common in Muslim countries.
Apparently the UN Human rights commission is not interested in doing anything to change it.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:
Anuradha Chepur wrote:
I am not surprised.
Shocked Really? Even when they sentenced her to jail and whipped her for something wasn't her fault?
When we are talking about the Religion of Peace, no, we are not surprised one bit by this kind of primitive brutality against women.
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
This kind of legally sanctioned abuse of women is common in Muslim countries.
Apparently the UN Human rights commission is not interested in doing anything to change it.

They were outraged by this news and so were some Saudi people (I saw their comments at BBC news section); however, this is beyond help. This cultural belief is so out-of-date that it's hard to do anything else without making them feel threat from the outsiders.
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
Anuradha Chepur wrote:
I am not surprised.
When we are talking about the Religion of Peace, no, we are not surprised one bit by this kind of primitive brutality against women.

It seems to me that women are second class/inferior to men in the Bible as well, for instance (so are other religions); however, a lot of Christians have been moving forward with most of them don't wear their religion on their sleeves like Muslim people do. That's why Christian women got a chance to fight for their rights unlike Muslim women who are still trapped under the Koran.
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the news. It's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I mean, my friend's boyfriend called her big Buddha because she always laughs like this big belly laughing Buddha. She and I are Buddhists and we find it funny rather than offensive. It's just a name. GET. OVER. IT!!! Rolling Eyes
ad-miral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's very bad
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the news. It's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I mean, my friend's boyfriend called her big Buddha because she always laughs like this big belly laughing Buddha. She and I are Buddhists and we find it funny rather than offensive. It's just a name. GET. OVER. IT!!! Rolling Eyes

Would you please explain your comment? Get over what? Get over being upset that someone who was raped is going to be punished? What do you find so funny? What is just a name?
asterix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's referring to one of Bob's links which is about a woman teacher being charged with disrespecting the prophet by allowing her students to choose the name "Mohammed" for a teddy bear.
It is mind boggling that alleged adults can seriously propose to give a woman a public flogging for this kind of thing, but sure enough that's what these clowns are proposing to do!
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
I think he's referring to one of Bob's links which is about a woman teacher being charged with disrespecting the prophet by allowing her students to choose the name "Mohammed" for a teddy bear.
It is mind boggling that alleged adults can seriously propose to give a woman a public flogging for this kind of thing, but sure enough that's what these clowns are proposing to do!

Thank you. This is what I meant, Lorikeet. I found the way my friend's boyfriend made his cute nickname for my friend is funny. He gave her that nickname because she looks like that Buddha and she acts like him; she's really friendly, compassionate and always laughs. Laughing through life is her motto despite what the situation is she always laughs to keep her energy high.

I don't see how it'd be offensive and forbidden to name a stuffed animal like Jesus, Moses, Muhammed, etc. yet it's okay to name humans those. Isn't that weird? This culture has too many weird expectations that I'm in no way can be able to understand it.
CP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it okay to name any old nincompoop's child "Mohammad," but it's a capital offense to name anything else the prophet's name? What rubbish. There are untold millions of Mohammads and Jesuses and Moseses around the world, many of whom are criminals and derelicts and thoroughly repugnant, execrable fiends. Let's behead their parents for blasphemy! I can't name my dog Moses? Get off the planet!

Try this on for size, fanatics: You could be wrong about the holy status of your beloved prophet--whether he be Moses, Jesus, Mohammad, or Joe the Plumber. (The Plumberanians are a small group, but very devoted.)

You were born at a time and in a place where people told you who was supposedly the true person to worship, and you worship him fervently. But if you had been born elsewhere, or at a different time, you would be worshiping someone else, just as fervently. How do you know you aren't wrong now? How do you know the true God isn't waiting patiently to torture eternally for blindly following the false prophet all along, and hurting other people who guessed right about divinity?

And letting judges follow their misguided religious beliefs to torture victims of crime? Those judges deserve that torture, over and over. They are supposed to protect victims of crime, not to victimize them again. I am so sick and tired of self-righteous cretins given a little power and using it against the defenseless. I would volunteer to even the score.

And I don't care if it offends your religion. Live and let live. Quit thinking you know the truth, when it comes to divinity and religion. If you disagree with someone else's religion, so what? Mind your own business. You are probably wrong anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: