Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you still want to have children?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Do you still want to have children? Reply with quote

The world has changed a lot. We have passed baby boomer age for a long time. Now, people have a serious and competitive life and it seems like more and more couple prefer not to have kid anymore.

For me, I also don't want to have kid because we are facing global warming, oil crisis, natural disaster. My boy/ girl would be so suffer to born in this crucial era.

What do you think? Maybe somone has a different point of view.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids are fun.
But the problem is, they grow up, and then they are not so much fun.
I prefer my siblings have kids, rather than me.
Then I can play with them for some time and return them to their parents,
rather than having to look after them.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making kids is fun, having kids is not fun. That's a paradoxa, and that's why we always have children although we didn't want them, I guess. (I don't have children)
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not until I got my daughter that I knew I would love kids.

I used to think that kids were all troublemakers, they dilute our colorful lives, they made our lives difficult. But I was totally wrong. Yeah, sometimes they put us into trouble, maybe bad mood as well. but most of the time, they are angels.

My daughter used to make my house a complete mess, she threw her toys and dolls everywhere, which drave me crazy;and one time, she unexpectedly invited 5 friends of hers to my house for dinner when I was working hard on my students' test papars.

However, when she is in school, and I am home alone, I would sorely miss her for her jokes, her funny puns, and her mischeiveous tricks, and of course, her warmhearted words. I couldn't imagine how I am gonna live without her company.

In my opinion, Kids are really fun, but if you don't want kids because of the heavy responsibility and commitment, you won't have the chance to appreciate the unlimited happiness that kids may bring to you.

Still, it's just a choice whether you raise a kid or not. But for me, kids are worth your time and love.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you still want to have children? Reply with quote

Tone wrote:
For me, I also don't want to have kid because we are facing global warming, oil crisis, natural disaster. My boy/ girl would be so suffer to born in this crucial era.
There have always been wars and rumors of wars, but life goes on and the overall quality of life continues to improve. Quit watching the TV news for a while. It's all bad news that mostly doesn't affect you or is all overblown scare-mongering. The future is bright and full of wonderful possibilities.

RedRose wrote:
I used to think that kids were all troublemakers, they dilute our colorful lives, they made our lives difficult. But I was totally wrong.

My daughter used to make my house a complete mess, she threw her toys and dolls everywhere,
Oh, but they ARE little troublemakers! But that is what makes them so interesting. (You have seen my Facebook photo with my daughter?)
-Berkeley Breathed
RedRose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Oh, but they ARE little troublemakers! But that is what makes them so interesting. (You have seen my Facebook photo with my daughter?)

I did. Your daughter looks like a 100% Asian girl. I think she gets more genes of appearance from her mother than from you. Very Happy and I guess she gets your personality, Bob.

BTW, you are a loving and funny daddy, I can tell that from these pics.
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a child is a beautiful thing. If you are ready for the commitment, more power to you. A child is a life time commitment. Global warming is not a factor to me to not have a kid. If it happens, it's going to happen regardless. Our actions come with consequences...we all know that. JMO.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:
Your daughter looks like a 100% Asian girl. I think she gets more genes of appearance from her mother than from you. Very Happy and I guess she gets your personality, Bob.
True, at first glance, it looks like I am her step-dad. People jokingly ask "Who's the father?" Wink But when you see her up close, you can see what comes from me. She is very big for her age. Though she is only 1 yr 10 months, she is the size of a 3 or 4 year-old Asian child. And, when the light is good and shines on her hair in just the right way, you can see she has auburn hi lights in her hair that comes from my dad's side of the family. He is happy about that.

Quote:
It's all part of the plan to mess with her mind. Sometimes I'm the big playful teddy bear dad, sometimes I am the big mean stern dad who tells her NO! you cannot eat the dog's food.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:
Bob wrote:

I did. Your daughter looks like a 100% Asian girl. I think she gets more genes of appearance from her mother than from you. Very Happy and I guess she gets your personality, Bob.

Where is this photo????
noka

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Japanese.
]I think it is important to have kid. Because Japan is a going society with a declining birthrate now. If woman who does not want to give birth to a baby increase, no body inherit a company or their family line. A man and woman get married, if they do not have their kid, who care in their daily life? If we are afraid of developing the global warming, I think parents must teach their children how terrible the global warming is. Even more they should teach how to stop the global warming. I think that they must think not only their children but also the influence to the Japanese society.
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good topic!

You should not give up having kids because of fears of changes in the world we live. Actually the way we raise our kids is a decisive step to improve this place!

In a way, having kids is an act of courage. You can pretend to be something you're not for almost everybody: your friends, your co-workers, even your parents.

It's not the case with your kids. They (and you, also) will get to know who you really are.

I have two daugthers: a six-years-old and a one-year-old. They're the most precious thing I have. I care for other things, of course, but they lose importance close to them.

Raising my daughters make me feel I'm building something really important. I'm educating two human beings. Whatever I do will be decisive in their lives.

It's a huge responsability, but I feel proud about it. Some dream about money, others about power, others crave for glory. I look forward to making those little girls turning into happy, good and smart women.

Last edited by ClarissaMach on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like kids*.

*as long as they are not mine.
sridatta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you still want to have children? Reply with quote

Tone wrote:
The world has changed a lot. We have passed baby boomer age for a long time. Now, people have a serious and competitive life and it seems like more and more couple prefer not to have kid anymore.

What do you think? Maybe somone has a different point of view.

Sex and love between two souls

The Veda shows the two ways. One is Pravrutti and the other is Nivrutti. In Pravrutti, the Veda advises the soul to marry for reproduction (prajatantum�), which is divine mission only. In Nivrutti, the Veda asks the soul to do the work of God without marriage (yadahareva virajet�) because the soul is not interested in any other thing except God. Ofcourse, marriage and reproduction of the souls coming from the upper world and training them with good devotion to God is also divine work. The momentary selfish happiness present in sex is not considered, because it does not persist afterwards. Thus it is participation of two souls like two colleagues in a job. The third soul takes a body out of it and appears here with its own line of destiny. The third soul is like a new trainee employee for the divine mission. Even the Lord needs parents to come in human form to uplift the humanity. If the divine purpose of reproduction is absent, God would have not created the sex and love between two souls. Without realising this divine mission, the three employees forget the job and the employer and develops liking to each other, which intensifies into blind foolishness called as �Moha�.

In Jaimini Bharatam, there is a story that tells that in his kingdom, people think Lord even during their copulation in the nights. This means that they are remembering the purpose of the sex in the service of God. If this divine goal is realised, one need not feel shy and hide sex feeling as if it is a sin. This divine purpose is reminded by the sculpture that shows the union of couple on the walls of the sacred temples. The present westerners and ancient Indians do not feel shy about the sex and are frank without hiding the feelings regarding it. One need not magnify it and keep it as secret like divine knowledge (Brahma Jnanam). When you are doing some work in the job, you forget it and go home peacefully. Shankara had to indulge in sex to defeat the wife of Mandana Misra in the knowledge of Kama Shastra. He forgot it and never carried on the feelings about it, because His mind was not on it. He replied to Goddess Saraswati the same and told that He was pure while climbing the throne of �Sarvajna Peetha�. When some devotees asked Me about the sex affair of a great saint, I asked them �why don�t you see the great works done by him?

Are these silly things need any mention, which are just the biological functions? Why do you magnify them, which are not worth of even thinking? When you see a picture do you see the excretion of hero in the lavatory? Why such scenes are not shot? Only the great works done by the hero are mentioned on the screen. A Nobel prize is not given to a person who controlled sex, which is also not denied to a great person because he could not control sex�.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: