Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you find yourself...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Do you find yourself... Reply with quote

shopping for yourself more than others when you Christmas shop?
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess that I have collected a new pair of shoes and 2 sweaters since Thanksgiving. I don't really buy for a lot of people tho, and when I do, gift cards make it easy. Do you guys give gift cards as gifts?
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiling_thought wrote:
Do you guys give gift cards as gifts?
Not usually, but I am thinking to do it this year. My nephews are difficult to shop for, so it will be easier just to get them gift cards this year and let them buy what they want.
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more of a guarantee that they will like their gift since their picking it out. :-p I would hate to be the person who gives that gift no one wants at Christmas.

Where do you usually pick up your gift cards?
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiling_thought wrote:
Where do you usually pick up your gift cards?
For "thank you" gifts to babysitters, we often give gift cards from Target department store. And we have given coffee house gift cards. But I don't know if there is a Target store near where my nephews live, so we may just get them some Wal Mart gift cards (I know there is a Wal Mart near their home).
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to find gift cards away from malls. Malls are especially crazier around this time. Do you have Safeway in your area? They have over 250 different types of gift cards from a bunch of different stores.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiling_thought wrote:
Do you have Safeway in your area? They have over 250 different types of gift cards from a bunch of different stores.
We do have a Safeway and a VONS supermarket with the same gift card rack. The problem with those is that you often have to pay an extra fee to activate the card. So your $25 gift card costs you $30. Not bad if you do it once, but if you get them for a lot of people, the little fee adds up to a lot of extra cost. If you can, better to get the card directly from the store. They don't typically charge you an extra fee. They are happy to know all that money of the gift card plus any extra of the person shopping will all go to them.
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard about fees you are charged if you do not use the gift card by their specific date on the card. I'm not so sure about Safeway charging you a fee for buying the gift cards they have provided. Have you bought a gift card from them before and were charged an activation fee?
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiling_thought wrote:
Have you bought a gift card from them before and were charged an activation fee?
Yes, I bought a Visa gift card (value $50) and was charged a $4 activation fee. Sad
smiling_thought

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research and found out that all gift cards sold at Safeway stores that are retailer-specific are sold without additional fees. Only cards that can be spent almost anywhere, such as the Visa Gift Card or American Express Gift Card, are charged a fee. So you can buy someone a Sears or Best Buy gift card without getting charged a fee.

Yea, being charged a fee wouldn't make me eager to buy amex/visa gift cards either!
hobo78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do shopping for myself more than for the other members of my family.
hoshi

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy everything after holidays Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: