Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Banks and (dis)service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven767

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Korean Banks and (dis)service Reply with quote

I went to a WOORI bank to send a money-gram to a foreign country. I was informed that (now) we can send $20,000/year instead of $10,000. Good news, but I only wanted to send about $1k.

The screen showed that I had sent money (in January) to a foreign bank (actually USA Federal on Yongsan). And, I was informed that the law will only let me send money from the same bank (KEB). Now, some will say that this law is designed to apply to everyone. But, how many average Koreans are sending money to foreign countries? This law, if it is a law and not a bank rule, is designed for foreigners.

So, even though I was upset with KEB for not letting me have an international ATM (when I had a lot of money in their bank) and I transferred my money to USA Federal and practically closed my account...... I still have to go to them (KEB) if I want to transfer money out of the country!!!!!!!!

WHY?!?!?!?!

The second bank (WOORI), where I was trying to JUST do a money gram.... no account involved.... saw the government screen and saw that I had not sent $20K..... but I still have to return to KEB!!!

Another way to screw foreigners by banks in Korea.

Oh. And, while I am complaining. Why is it that when I gave the bank US$ for the transfer, they have to convert it into Won and then send US$ to the foreign country. And, I have to pay a fee for the conversion when I gave them US$ and they were going to send US$. What is that about? Another way?

Bottom-line. I got all my money back. I will do my business in Korea with a US Bank and I will spread the word to as many foreign forums as I can.

Why cant Korean banks treat foreigners with respect?
RedRose

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Banks and (dis)service Reply with quote

Raven767 wrote:

I guess you can call it "narrow-nationalism"
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Banks and (dis)service Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:
Raven767 wrote:
I guess you can call it "narrow-nationalism"
And from what I keep hearing about that country, it is particularly strong there. S. Korea is a 1st world ecomony, but these impediments make it seem like they fear capital flight. The rules have not caught up to the modern reality.
Raven767

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read CL's Seoul Rants-n-raves. This is the most xenophobic country I know. It isn't just the banks, it is everywhere. And the typical reaction when Koreans discover this (told by foreigners) is that it cannot be because Koreans are never wrong.... yes, I have heard people say that.

I would advise that if you want to come here to work, visit for a week first, read all the possible forums, and read the papers.

The current problem is the Canadian Pedophile who was arrested in Thailand. He once taught in Korea. He had no criminal record in Canada. He had no record here and no accusations. [b]BUT, [/b]because he was once here and was a foreigner, all foreign teachers have to undergo CRCs and drug tests.

Frankly, I am happy as we have way too many back-pack carrying, drug-using Canadians running around calling themselves teachers... and the Koreans think they are all 'Americans'. Heck, they think every white or black person in Korea is 'American' and they never listen to the person speak.

Last point to ponder - a couple years ago, a soldier was convited of raping a Korean and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Last year a Korean was convicted of raping a US soldier and was sentenced to 6 months probation. When asked about this, a Korean told me that a Korean would never commit rape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: