Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earthquake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pugachevV

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Earthquake Reply with quote

I hope all our Chinese friends are OK after the earthquake in Sichuan province.
Corey

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of my Chinese students has family close to that area. We had a good discussion about geology yesterday. At least it wasn't like the Tang Shan quake.

Corey
summerkookid

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: god bless them Reply with quote

a friend of mine is in SiChuan now.
Her university is sited near the city ChengDu.
She told me that all of them have to sleep on the ground in front of the teaching building.
I hope everyone will be Ok.
Cindy-314

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our goverment is tring her best to send the daily necessities to the earthquake area. And we all try to help them. I hope they can overcome the disaster soon.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything we are seeing on our news shows that the Chinese government is truly working diligently to helps its people in this horrible crisis. The contrast between the Chinese government and the corrupt incompetent Myanmar government is striking. It lets you know: money sent to the Red Cross to help the victims in China is used helpfully; money sent to help Myanmar is money flushed down a toilet since you can expect it to be stolen by the corrupt army. Evil or Very Mad
"The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside."
-Allan Bloom, "Closing of the American Mind"
Ginny

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Come on, our China Reply with quote

This year is the ... year of China. I don't want to say it's sad or terrible, because it may bring bad luck to our China really in my opinion.
I moved by those views: police--helping rescue withour rest; the whole country--working together wishing and concerning; stars--donating much money....
I was moved. I just want to say "come on, our China!"" I'll be with you forever!"" We're the best!"
When the winter is coming, the spring is not far. Come on my homeland!
Evangeline

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Come on, our China Reply with quote

Ginny wrote:
This year is the ... year of China. I don't want to say it's sad or terrible, because it may bring bad luck to our China really in my opinion.

No!
Please get rid of that idea and ignore those non-speaks at once!
I hold the belief that we'll have a great success after all the difficulties!
We Chinese always have strong wills!We are sure that we can overcome all these difficulties!
Once upon a time,an excellent Chinese thinker,Meng Zi had said that:
When Heaven is about to place a great responsibility on a great man, it always first frustrates his spirit and will, exhausts his muscles and bones, exposes him to starvation and poverty, harasses him by troubles and setbacks so as to stimulate his spirit, toughen his nature and enhance his abilities.

We Chinese are now in this situation!So don't give up,just come on and come on,dear motherland!
Let the world cheer for us!
summerkookid

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that we Chinese will become stronger and stronger because we have a great prime minister. Exclamation
dongweiplijing

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: i feel so sad about it. let's be together Reply with quote

i am a Chinese. i am sad about it. we uinversity students have already done a lot to express our sadness. last night, we lit a lot of light to morn.
it is very shocking.
dongweiplijing

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: we can make it Reply with quote

summerkookid wrote:
I believe that we Chinese will become stronger and stronger because we have a great prime minister. Exclamation

you are right. i love our prime minister very much
genlx

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not only the prime minister should be admaired, but also all the other people who work for the earthquake. the chairman though didn't go there that quick, but the leaded the army and other people to give more help to the victim
vicfan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this time our government really did a very well.
dongweiplijing

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: we should admire all of them Reply with quote

genlx wrote:
I think not only the prime minister should be admaired, but also all the other people who work for the earthquake. the chairman though didn't go there that quick, but the leaded the army and other people to give more help to the victim

we should admire all the people who work for the earthquake. those soldiers even have no time to rest, to have some food. most of them are hurt.
Cindy-314

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: United, there is nothing we cannot do! Reply with quote

This time I really have seen how united our Chinese people are. Our premier is now in the earthquake area helping the victims; he arrived there just right in that afternoon. Our soldiers are looking for the victims in the ruined area without even a one-second stop. They are the loveliest people in the world! Well, even the rescued they are trying to do something to help. They are carrying food and water to the injured without a stop. And for the other citizens-- although most of us can�t be there to help, we caring for them very much. We watch news of the earthquake area constantly; we pray for them every minute. We donate food, water, clothes, money�whatever that can help them.
I also want to say something to our international friends.
Thank you for helping us with rescuing and curing our victims!
Thank you for supporting us!
Our Chinese people are unbeatable!
United, there is nothing we cannot do!!!
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad it is to see some posting knee-jerk nationalistic propaganda at a time of such devastation.

For now....do as others in this thread are doing - mourn the dead and help bring relief to the survivors.

Then..instead of 'crowing' the party line, why not use your voice to demand an investigation of building code enforcement, skimping materials to skim money from public building projects and the ouster of corrupt officials to avoid future disasters of this magnitude?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: