Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New US President
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oriani

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
Because there are a lot of people who don't like the recent president the desire of election is very big.

I agree!
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oriani wrote:
ad-miral wrote:
Because there are a lot of people who don't like the recent president the desire of election is very big.

I agree!

Many people all over the world.

Even in the U.S. http://www.sorryeverybody.com/

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
StephenLong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Wink i got it.
cgage2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not so much the president, but the American society, itself. Like Tolstoy said, a world leader is only a figurehead profiting from an immense social force behind him. Bush couldn't even manage a Mcdonalds restaurant. He receives his power from a political party with millions behind them.
Societies are divided into two types: individualist, collectivist. The US was born 250 years ago as the individualist's dream. (gold rushs, land rushes, self-made millionaires, robber-barrons, etc.) This lead to the rise of super-capitalism which in turn gave birth to the megamonster - corporatism, which Bush is the chief representative of.
Corporatism uses the media to hypnotize the American people. It tells them that unless we murder gazillians of middle-eastern people, they're coming here next.
The media hypnotizes them with the exploits of a silly girl who is going to jail for a few days because she was driving while intoxicated.
Keith Olbermann pointed out that the day Bush suspended Habeus Corpus,
50 million people were absolutely entranced by who will be the next "American idol". In other words, everyone was watching television the day that Jeffersonian Democracy died.
Cindy Sheehan quit and went home. She gave up on the US.
Cindy called Hillary Clinton a Republican man dressed up like a woman Democrat. After the democrats caved in this year, Cindy pretty much called all of them Republicans disguised as democrats!
Obama is probably a good choice but there is no way America will elect an African American at this time. He will only split the vote and give republicans an advantage.
Edwards would be a good choice. Dennis Kucinich would be great.
America needs a miracle.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgage2 wrote:
Dennis Kucinich would be great.
America needs a miracle.

He would be great, and we do need a miracle.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm baaack)

I think Obama will win, actually (though I'm afraid to say it, because it seems like candidates have an advantage if they're not expected to win- in the Democratic side at least. Republicans are different- they don't like a loser. Democrats like the underdog, they like to be "different").

I'm rooting for Edwards, though. He's by far the most liberal of the last three Democratic candidates.
He's the only one with a plan for Universal Healthcare: Obama only has one for kids, Clinton had one but trashed it because she decided to use the money to support NAFTA (!!).
He has a plan to put computers with internet access in all homes by 2010, I think is the year.
He's the only one who wants to get all soldiers out of Iraq immediately, and he has the fewest requirements for keeping any soldiers in Iraq (only if US personnel are in danger)- Clinton and Obama both plan to keep soldiers in Iraq to train new Iraqi govt with weapons and stuff...
He's the only one who has never taken any money from businesses/lobbyists... (Obama hasn't THIS election, but he did when he was elected senator. In fact, he took tons of money from a healthcare company, when one of the major things in his platform was getting money for healthcare companies!)
He doesn't have a stupid slogan like "CHANGE" that people will interpret in whatever way they want because it doesn't mean ANYTHING.
He's very young, charismatic, and electable.
He's honest- he doesn't promise anything if he's elected, except that he'll work as hard as he can.

I think (and I hope) Richardson will be Vice President.

The end.

//Edit://
And cgage2, I think your thoughts about the conflicting individualist vs. collectivist natures of American society being it's downfall is very insightful and wise. I think it may cycle though- at least with the American youth, being "different" is now "in", although I'm not sure how easy it is to break the mold. If being different is "in" because everyone says so, we're really still in a collectivist phase...
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:
(I'm baaack)
Hey! Welcome back!

We were wondering what happened to you. Studying for your SATs?

Quote:
I'm rooting for Edwards, though...
He's the only one with a plan for Universal Healthcare: Obama only has one for kids, Clinton had one but trashed it because she decided to use the money to support NAFTA (!!).
He's the only one who has never taken any money from businesses/lobbyists... (Obama hasn't THIS election, but he did when he was elected senator. In fact, he took tons of money from a healthcare company, when one of the major things in his platform was getting money for healthcare companies!)
I don't understand all this demonizing of health-care and pharmaceutical companies. McCain is doing it too. These companies have produced medicines that eliminated polio in the developed world, took leukemia that used to be a guaranteed death sentence for children and reduce its mortality rate by 70%, and cut the mortality rate of cancer in half! Yet these healers are considered bad guys by politicians for actually wanting to get paid commensurate with the decades of their lives dedicated to study and research. If these are bad guys, what are good guys? Trial lawyers that leech off of the producers of society? Edwards got his millions as a trial lawyer, and I just don't trust him. Obama may not have his plan for the country fully formed yet, but he comes across as refreshingly naively honest compared to the lying lawyer double-speak of Clinton and Edwards.

Quote:
He's the only one who wants to get all soldiers out of Iraq immediately, and he has the fewest requirements for keeping any soldiers in Iraq (only if US personnel are in danger)
You see, that is some of his lawyer double-speak. He will only keep soldiers in Iraq if U.S. personnel are in danger, Well guess what, if we do a massive pull-out now before the Iraqi military and police can keep the peace themselves, of course all U.S. citizens (and citizens of other countries) still there will be in danger! He gets to promise you one thing while he does the exact opposite. Very Clintonian of him.

Quote:
He doesn't have a stupid slogan like "CHANGE" that people will interpret in whatever way they want because it doesn't mean ANYTHING.
That is VERY true. Change is what direction? Lenin changed Russia; Mussolini changed Italy.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had a really busy summer (I went to India!) and school year. SATs and classes..

You don't like Edwards for the same reason my mom doesn't like him (she's a doctor), but I'm just judging him on how he is now, for better or for worse.

If you realize that Obama's slogan is manipulatively meaningless, doesn't that show that he's not so naive?
Edwards, I feel, does have that genuine, almost naive quality. He says exactly what he plans to do and has definite principles, and he trusts the American people that we'll care about that (the actual issues), rather than all the how-you-present-yourself crap.
(I was watching a democratic debate, and participating in an online forum while watching it, and someone actually said, "Oh my gosh, Hilary's the only one not wearing an American flag pin on her jacket!!". That's what's wrong with America- caring more about stuff like that than the actual issues).

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHjbVWNN_cU
It's from a year ago, and he's not as polished as he is now, but it's still one my favorite videos of him. Maybe it'll sway you Wink
I really like what he says about it being our (the American people's) responsibility to work to change our habits- we can't expect that a president will do it all for us, that's just the convenient thing to say. You can tell that's NOT rhetoric- Americans don't want to be told that they have to work, but it has to be said.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!! He dropped out!!

I could cry.
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't studied profoundly about the cadidates yet to express my opinion with confidence.

Today I watched the debate between Barck Obama and Mrs Clinton. The former really impressed me.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarissa-

I'm glad you liked Obama. You are smarter than 47% of American voters (the percentage that currently supports Clinton).
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:
You don't like Edwards for the same reason my mom doesn't like him (she's a doctor), but I'm just judging him on how he is now, for better or for worse.
Heh heh Laughing yeah, sounds like a smart woman. You don't make it through med school without knowing a thing or two about life! Wink

Quote:
If you realize that Obama's slogan is manipulatively meaningless, doesn't that show that he's not so naive?
Oh, he's not completely naive, I'm sure. He has made it to elective office, so he must have some experience in the game. But compared to slick shysters like Edwards and Clinton, he seems more honest. See the article here:
Obama Debuts New Act in Vegas
Obama began by recalling a moment in Tuesday night's debate when he and his rivals were asked to name their biggest weakness. Obama answered first, saying he has a messy desk and needs help managing paperwork�something his opponents have since used to suggest he's not up to managing the country. Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards said his biggest weakness is that he has a powerful response to seeing pain in others, and Clinton said she gets impatient to bring change to America.

"Because I'm an ordinary person, I thought that they meant, `What's your biggest weakness?'" Obama said to laughter from a packed house at Rancho High School. "If I had gone last I would have known what the game was. And then I could have said, `Well, ya know, I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible.'"

flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, that helping-old-ladies thing is my mom's favorite Obama quote!
You two have Obama-ESP.

I'd vote for Michelle Obama!
k.m.m

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Racism in the US will kill any good presidents".

Stockholm, February 9:
If Barack Obama becomes the next US President he will surely be assassinated, British Nobel literature laureate Doris Lessing predicted in a newspaper interview published on Saturday.
Obama, who is vying to become the first black President in US history, "would certainly not last long, a black man in the position of President. They would murder him," Lessing, 88, told the Dagens Nyheter daily.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/us_vote_nobel_literature_britain_sweden_lessing

kmm
Tone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't predict the future but let's hope bad things will not happen to everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: