Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which university is best for learning TESOL or TEFL in UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melinda Wu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: which university is best for learning TESOL or TEFL in UK? Reply with quote

Hey, everyone, I am a Chinese university student and I am graduating from our university next July. I have learned English Education for my Bachelor's Degree. I'm thinking about studying in UK for my Master Degree and the subject TESOL and TEFL seem to be a good choice for me. However, I am not sure about which university is best for learning it in UK. Do you guys know some information about the universities? Your advice will be very heplful for my decision.

In addition, I feel that one year in UK is really short for one to get to know the culture and life of UK. I am thinking whether it's possibe for me find a job there. Do you think it is very difficult for a Chinese student like me? Furthermore, does the location or the city of the university is important for choose a university and get a job in UK? If yes, do you think where is the best choice?

so much questions about me, but because I am a little confused now.
Anyway, Thank you for reading my letters!
scottish_tiger

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melinda Wu

TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) & TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign language) are internationally recognised teaching qualifications that English speakers can gain to help them to find work in parts of the world were English is not a 1st language. So I am not certain if you want to complete a masters degree that would mean you had these skills to teach or you wish to complete a course that will improve your English language profficency?

Many universities in the UK provide English language courses for international students and the UCAS website (http://www.ucas.com/students/coursesearch/index.html) can be a useful resource for finding some of those courses and universities which offer them.

Once you have identified a course you are interested in then contact the relevant department at that university by email (normally available on their website) and also find out whether they have an international student officer who can give you details on what life would be like in that part of the UK.

Despite the recession here there are still many part time jobs available that would be suitable for a student, and if all else fails (a saying meaning last resort) you can always offer to provide tutition in Mandarin &/or Cantonese to make some extra money (there is a real interest in both these language in the UK at the moment). But always check your visa allows you to work first, as I am certain you would not wish to get into trouble for working illegally, as this can lead to large fines or even cancellation of your visa and deportation (unfortionately it tends to be the innocent & law abiding students who just want to make a little extra money who get caught).

Good luck

Scottish Tiger
englishlanguageprofessor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Study in the UK Reply with quote

Hi,
I have useful stuff on my site for you:
English for University. Com http://englishforuniversity.com is a high quality academic English site with language learning advice, links and a competition to win a free online English course!
See you there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: