Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

inventions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessicadold

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: inventions Reply with quote

What do you think is one of the most important inventions?
enharmonics

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think electricity is an important invention because electricity produces
power to run machines and makes our houses bright.
That makes our lives easier.But there are a lot of disadvantages.
Electricity can make weapons , pollution and make us lazy.
But overall , electricity makes our lives easier.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order:
1. Fire
2. the Wheel
3. the Printing Press
Gheta

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TV is an important media because it gives information ,but some of it can be controlled and give you a partial vision of the world.
For some people who live isolated and maybe didn't attend school for a long time, TV can have a learning purpose; for example,in my country, years ago, a smaller number of children could attend school and TV taught them the language.
Nevertheless,we can't forget all the problems about the bad role models which TV gives and its inflence when we chose to buy something.
I think it's necessary to have critical thinking skills when we watch TV if we don't want consumer society to conform our thinking. Shocked
Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would we be without our computers?

We wouldn't be able to "talk" to each other and learn about each other without computers. When I was growing up, there weren't any computers. Everything had to be done by mail, by phone, or in person.

Now, we can have friends all over the world!
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer, internet, AC (it's very difficult to live without AC in coastal areas, and of course impossible in extremely hot regions), refrigerator.
Lucia Chien

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: The Most important Invention is Electricity Reply with quote

When it comes to inventions, I'd say the most important one is electricity because electricity makes all the machines work. Most of the people nowadays on the globe are in an electric environment, such as light bulbs, computers, and fridges, etc.

Although people invented other stuff which made our life more comfortable and more convenient, we couldn't use them unless we have electricity. What do people usually do when they have a black out? Just wait, since they can do nothing.

Above all is the reason supports my opinion.
Junichi Yamamoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: The Most important Invention is the internet. Reply with quote

I think the internet is an important invention.
First,we can know the news, weather, timetable(train,bus) and so on.
Second,it is possible to contact with the people in a different countries(just now).
junyoung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: inventions Reply with quote

jessicadold wrote:

Car consisted of wheel and metal and glass and so on. It is made for tran
sfortation. But car is useful in many puarter(direction).
Sometimes it protected people from a hold up man because some car are made bulletproof glass. I think that it's so dagerous when i walk around some place at night in America cause people who have a gun are strolling about in te street.
For example, my friend bought some food in Okland and was waiting the bus at 7 p.m. Suddenly, people look like robber came closer to him. They
stole his money. Crying or Very sad
Jung Yeop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: inventions Reply with quote

Electricity is the most important invention in human history.
If there isn't eletrcity, our life would be inconvenient. There are many inventions in our life, but we can't use most of them without it.
Without it, most of our activities have to be done by hand or by foot and we can't do anything at night.
Unless Thomas Edison invented elctricity, other conventions woudn't be invented. Electricity is essential for our life.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked
yukiko1783

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: inventions Reply with quote

jessicadold wrote:

I think that cell phones are a good invention, because we can make contact easily almost any time, get information and enter information to retrieve later, such a schedule.
New features are developed all the time. For example, most cell phones are cameras and some include computers. Some cell phones enable you to get on the internet and you can e-mail too. Other features include having music downloads or literature downloads.
guidou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: inventions Reply with quote

hey hey hey

In my opinion, one of the most important invention is God.
It has his fault, certainly ( wars, etc), but it gives people hope and bravery to do a lot a very good things all around the world. Whatever his name (Alah, God, Bouda, Bryan or Jenifer ) I think the important is to beleive in something or somebody.
A part of each countries has been built thanks to/because of diferents religions.. (calendar,laws, languages, customs ..)

the other important invention is
the sentence "Sex, Drugs and Rock'n Roll"
demirezenh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: inventions Reply with quote

jessicadold wrote:

I think the P.C. is the most important invention for work. Previously, business reports could be done manually only. It took more than one day. Presently, reports can be done in only one hour. Nowadays, it's more convenient than previously.
Tan,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that one of the most important inventions is language. In particular English is great. English has only 26 letters and its grammar is simple.
I am a Japanese student. Japanese has so many characters called "kana" and we also use Chinese characters. I study french a little. French and some other Europian languages has gender of nouns and accent mark. I think that one of reasons that English is the most spoken language is its simpleness.
teacher-simon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say chopsticks are a great invention. There must be more chopsticks in China than mobile phones and without chopsticks we may be left to eat with our hands.

I realize the greatest inventions are ones that benefit us in our lives, such as medicine, electronic devices, and so on, though sometimes great inventions are ones that simply make our life easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: