Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

learn the inside TOEFL, (the reading text etc...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
english fluency

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: learn the inside TOEFL, (the reading text etc...) Reply with quote

PASS YOUR TOEIC, IELTS, TESL & TOEFL
LEARN THE WELL KEPT SECRETS

Have you ever noticed the preparation test textbooks never reveal the inside secrets for passing your ESL test (TOEFL, TESL, IELTS, TOEIC)? You just buy the books and hope to understand the exercises in vain. The majority of the time you get the same old advice, �develop a positive attitude, visualize, the best study plan, practice, review, read, read and read some more, etc�� and the list goes on. There is nothing wrong with these advise. They are perfectly okay.
Unfortunately, these books don�t really show you how to go about passing the tests. Most of the time you struggled to find the right answers to the questions by lucky chances in the preparation textbooks. So you take the test and don�t pass. So what do you do next? You go and buy other preparation test textbooks with the hope that the examples and exercises will be much better than the last book.
Why do these educators don�t want to teach you the TRUTH, the well kept secrets for passing these tests? If they do, then they will be out of business selling preparation test textbooks. And sometime, ESL teachers don't know how to beginn showing students the way. They just go by the text book - from sentence to sentence. Go to www.powertutorials-on-skype.com to learn about reading technique skills for TOEFL. Of course, this example below is somewhat of a shorter version of what I tutor to ESL students.

Last edited by english fluency on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
english fluency

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: a small sample of reading tips Reply with quote

I have taught TOEFL for 10 years and have exhausted the research techniques on TOEFL, IELTS ect..., These techniques are secret strategies for passing tests. There strategies and techniques for writing, listening, and multiple choice anwers test.

Specific Guessing Techniques

Slang
Scientific sounding answers are better than slang ones. In the answer choices below, choice B is much less scientific and is incorrect, while choice A is a scientific analytical choice and is correct.

Example:
A.) To compare the outcomes of the two different kinds of treatment.
B.) Because some subjects insisted on getting one or the other of the treatments.

Extreme Statements
Avoid wild answers that throw out highly controversial ideas that are proclaimed as established fact. Choice A is a radical idea and is incorrect. Choice B is a calm rational statement. Notice that Choice B does not make a definitive, uncompromising stance, using a hedge word �if� to provide wiggle room.

Example:
A.) Bypass surgery should be discontinued completely.
B.) Medication should be used instead of surgery for patients who have not had a heart attack if they suffer from mild chest pain and mild coronary artery blockage.

Similar Answer Choices
When you have two answer choices that are direct opposites, one of them is usually the correct answer.

Example:
A.) Paragraph 1 described the author�s reasoning about the influence of his childhood on his adult life.
B.) Paragraph 2 described the author�s reasoning about the influence of his childhood during his adult life.

Last edited by english fluency on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
english fluency

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter and receive "know-how" tactics, strategies and techniques for taking TOEFL, TOEIC and IELTS at www.powertutorials-on-skype or e-mail [email protected].
english fluency

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: TOEFL TAKER Reply with quote

I am a former TOEFL test taker. You can't count the number of times I wanted to just give-up on the TOEFL because I couldn't get my hands on anything that would prepare me.
I finally uncovered how to win the TOEFL game after: 'Hair-pulling' frustration, weeks wasted studying the wrong information with 'tranquilizer-like' boring, nose-to-the-book preparation, painfully slow 'trial and error' learning and delaying my graduate school admission and a career position.

But, you can discover how to score high on your TOEFL quicker and easier than you ever thought possible from the lesson in my experience below. You MUST read every sentence of this story because I don't want you to miss the one SECRET you need when it reveals itself to you.

It was embarrassing to face friends and family and felt like an idiot. I felt humiliated as I watched my friends successfully succeed on the TOEFL test. Listening to them talked about their TOEFL success, quickly finishing courses in their major or getting that super-star job made me feel like a loser.

You know it�s a fact thousands of TOEFL test takers failed due to putting their faith in and mindlessly trusting the well know bookstore study guides. Just thinking �outside the box� doesn�t cut it. You must also take actions that are �outside the box� I finally realized, if I want a different result than the thousands who failed I need to take different actions.

THE TEST TAKERS WAY TO CONQUER THE TOEFL
I realized to be successful on this exam I should learn from people who already scored very high. I started talking about to 12 former TOEFL test takers who also knew other TOEFL test takers. I meticulously documented the real content of the exam. Then I got tremendous insights that helped me instantly ramp-up my TOEFL competency. So I them put advertisements in the local school paper to form a special study group. One requirement was that each member must interview 12 former test takers.

HOW A TOEFL Failure Discovered a �Bran Dead� Simple Science To Get a Great Score On The TOEFL
When each member of the group shared their findings alarms sounded, bell clanged and the beacon lights of hope was lit. I was an epiphany to discover there�s a nearly identical core of test questions and content repeated on each TOEFL test given. You see, the TOELF is a standardized test so each new test must cover the same, closely approximated test questions. This way the required competency can be measured from one test to another.

If You Don�t Discover The Formula Score High The TOEFL, You�ll Hate Yourself Later.
With this new discovery and the leverage of other test takers I discovered how to crack the code of the TOEFL once and for all!
The �TOEFL nightmare" was finally over and I was free. I turned my life around, was in total bliss and soon got admission to the university of my choice and moved on to fulfill my career goals as a paralegal and e university TOEFL instructor) in life.

YOU too can ace the TOEFL. I learned the hard way, but you can easily AVOID all the mistakes I made.

TRY TO DO IT ALL BY YOURSELF AS A LONE WOLF
. Do you try highlighting and memorizing 400 plus page painfully?
. pore over generic textbook-like study guides that are usually 3 years out-of-date and written by ivory tower professors who never took or understand your TOEFL test?

What an awful bitter taste in your mouth to later find you wasted weeks using mediocre methods and studied the WRONG information that�s NOT even on your test!

STOP GUESSING WHAT�LL BE ON YOUR TOEFL TEST
You know surfing academic web sites, reading textbooks and hoping it will pan out as genuine TOEFL material is complete self-sabotage. None of these methods helped me or the thousands of test takers I helped. Decide if you�ll accept the methods used by thousands who failed or use a 100% guaranteed and PROVEN by former TOEFL test takers.

Most TOEFL test preparation books were published over 3 years ago. Those books don�t have up-to-date information you need for the newest version of the TOEFL. Thanks to my academy careers I constantly research the TOEFL Teaching College exams to get the latest information by the testing company and legally permissible test exit interviewers from current client.

You get all the confidential test secrets of over 37 dedicated former test takers and I uncovered over months of exhaustive research and 7 years of on-going updates (monthly).
YOU can get the TOEFL score you need in a cinch if you use my simple TOEFL tool ...

Get the respect and recognition you deserve now. Let me spoon-feed you everything you need for test success.
Uncovering deadly tactics, REAL test content and test questions predictably repeated on every exam for over 7 years in a tutoring service helping others get TOEFL success.

One Vacant Position Left For An ESL Student Who Needs TOEFL Tutoring. This is Genuine Offer At Cost To You. No Fee. No Membership.. (Every year I volunteer to show 1 ESL student how to crack-the-code because I am successful and happy and I enjoy seeing others becoming successful too). See contact information below.

Give Me 7 Days And I'll Make You Get The TOEFL Score You
Need Faster And Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible

Imagine having all the "guess work," trial and error and hair-pulling agony taken-out of your TOEFL test preparation. See yourself answering your test questions with ease and confidence because you made a decision to try a better way. It's a great feeling when you put your test success on "autopilot" following a time tested, simple blueprint for TOEFL success.

Envision your attractive future with the security and rewards of getting an excellent TOEFL score now.

It is all possible just because you decided to stop being skeptical, started believing you can do it and took action.

Contact information: Skype ID: english-fluency

Last edited by english fluency on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
english fluency

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

I would like to extend my thanks to Yuika Kirihata from Japan who will receive 1 year (free of cost) of jam-packed strategies and tactics of TOEFL exam and inside secrets not available, especially outside of the TOEFL EXAMINATION COLLEGES.

Once again, thank you, Yuika Kirihata for not being skeptic about my genuine offer. I can guarantee you are going to pass your 1st TOEFL test.
english fluency

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Writing Essays for TOEFL, IELTS, TEFL Reply with quote

In TOEFL, IELTS, TEFL or any other ESL essay writing, you will be judged (this will effect your score drastically) on how well you have organized your composition. Essays or compositions that are incoherent, confused and disjointed will receive very poor scoring. Below is the basic foundation for essay writing. However writing a compelling essay is the cream-of-the-crop and well sought after techniques. A boring essay only scores an average point. Learn with powertutorials-on-skype.com the powerful secrets how to master compelling essay writing and score the top marks. There is more to just writing one paragraph after another. The reading is in the words.

Essay Organization
An essay or composition is a collection of paragraphs that cover one particular topic.
The organization of an essay is essentially the same as a paragraph. It contains an introduction, just as a paragraph contains a topic sentence. The introductory paragraph lets the reader know what the essay will be about. An essay has body paragraphs, which develop the topic stated in the introduction, in the same way that supporting sentences develop the topic sentence in a paragraph.
The body paragraphs, usually the longest part of the essay, contain support for the thesis statement. An essay contains a concluding paragraph, just as a paragraph contains a concluding sentence.
The concluding paragraph summarizes the information in the essay or may contain the writer�s opinion or prediction of the topic.
For an essay, a topic sentence and a concluding sentence may be not needed for all paragraphs. If the thesis statement contains a predictor, it will clearly show what the topic of the paragraphs will be. Even if no topic sentence is used, the writer still needs to have good transition and unity to tie the paragraphs together cohesively.

The Introduction
There are two primary functions of the introductory paragraph: 1) to indicate what the essay will be about and 2) to attract the attention of the reader.
The introduction may include making an initial general statement and narrowing it down to the thesis statement or explaining the importance of the topic. In addition, the introduction may provide the reader with background information, set the limits of the discussion, or to clarify the meaning of words. Without an introduction the essays begins too abruptly and may cause confusion for the reader.

If the introduction does not grab the reader, they may stop reading and seek entertainment or information elsewhere. There are several techniques that can be used in introductions to help get the attention of the reader. These are anecdotes, quotes, surprise with an unexpected view, questions, interesting facts or statistics, background or historical information, or a combination of these.

The topic of the essay is contained in the thesis statement. The thesis statement is the most important sentence in an essay, just as the topic sentence is the most important sentence in a paragraph. The thesis statement is similar to the topic sentence and serves the same function in an essay as the topic sentences does for the paragraph. It tells what the essay is about, just as the topic sentence tells the reader what the paragraph is about. The thesis statement is the last sentence in the introductory paragraph. It lets the reader know what will be discussed in the remaining paragraphs and expresses the opinion or point-of-view of the writer.
It contains the same components as the topic sentence. It contains the topic, a controlling idea, and opinion or point-of-view. The topic is what the essay will be about. The controlling idea is what will be said about the topic. There can only be one controlling idea in the thesis statement. The thesis statement must also contain an opinion. If the thesis statement contains a fact, i t cannot be supported and the writer cannot write an essay about it.

Thesis statements may also have additional characteristics. The thesis statement indicates the central purpose for the essay and controls
the essay. It gives a plan for the essay and the essay must follow that plan. The thesis statement may indicate how many paragraphs the essay will be, the organization of the essay, and the content of each paragraph.
For example, in the thesis statement. The primary causes for the gradual collapse of the British Empire were political differences, economic factors, and geographic distance., one paragraph each will be devoted to explaining the three causes of the collapse: political differences, economic factors, and geographic distance.
The order of the ideas presented in the body paragraphs must match the order indicated in the thesis statement. In the above example, the first body paragraph must be about political differences, the second paragraph must be about economic factors, and the third must be about geographic distance.

When writing thesis statements keep in mind these simple rules:
1) it must be a statement, not a question
2) it must be complete sentence
3) it must be an opinion, not a fact
4) it must have one, and only one, a controlling idea
5) it must state the writer�s position on the topic

Look at the following thesis statements. Place an X in the
space provided if it is an ineffective thesis statement. If the statement
is an effective thesis statement leave the space blank. If
the statement is ineffective as a thesis statement, indicate in the
line under the statement what it is lacking: does it lack a topic, a
controlling idea, or an opinion.

___ Computers save time, money, and effort.
incompatibility, and unfaithfulness.
Winnie the Pooh.
english fluency (www.powertutorials-on-skype.com)
english fluency

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: FREE TOEFL LESSONS Reply with quote

Learn the strategies for TOEFL etc...

I will show how to write/speak a compelling essay (I will show what the Education Testors are expecting in an essay, how discern answers, how to create an effective study plan and much more...

FREE TOEFL LESSONS. This is a hard core strategy, totally bluff-free. You will not see this information on any website because this TOEFL guide is MIRRORED to the real test.

I can only affording to offer to help an other ESL individual want really needs assistance to achieve their fluency in English. This offer is limited, so please don't wait too long to accept.

Hello, everyone. I'm communicative coach of English for the past ten years. I specialize in preparing students for TOEFL, CELTA, IELTS,TOEIC and TESL. I also tutor Business English, grammar, pronunciation, etc... I teach all levels from chilldren to adults. To assure you I possess a BA and MA in English Education.

I have one important stipulation/rule. The student who accepts this offer of free English study MUST BE a serious person who genuinely WANTS to learn English EVERYDAY/or twice a week for about 1 hour.
If you are not being serious, then please refrain from accepting this generous offer.
Please contact SKYPE ID: english-fluency. Your message must be "free English study"

[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: