Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can someone PLEASE edit my 2 page reflection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tofu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: can someone PLEASE edit my 2 page reflection Reply with quote

here it is, please focus on sentence structure, and grammar please. im also worried on my transition

i did it on double spaced on word but it probably wont show up on this post, if you want the word file..give me your email and ill email you the word doc.
thanx

When we are born, it marks the beginning of a new life. We all grow and change through our lives. I believe that Erikson�s Psychosocial Theory of Development best describes a change in one�s life. Erikson�s eight stages of psychosocial development starts when you are born till your death. Each stage is characterized by a psychosocial crisis, in which an individual must experience before being fully developed. Each crisis builds on the previous crisis in order to move on. If an individual fails to resolve at a particular crisis, he/she will face more complications in the future. The first crisis, trust vs. mistrust applies to infants who have just been born. These infants rely on their parents for food, shelter, and love. If these needs are met, the infant will gradually start to trust their companions. However, if the opposite has happened, the infant will develop mistrust towards people. The next crisis, autonomy vs. shame and doubt occurs to toddlers that have passed the first stage. This stage focuses on the build up of their basic skills and their self-confidence. If the parent disproves the child�s autonomy, the child will start to lose self-confidence and his/her behavior will also be affected. After that, initiative vs. guilt is the next crisis. It focuses on how the pre-school children are using their basic skills to develop and achieve their goals. The negative outcome of this crisis is that the individual may develop a sense of guilt when they take initiative to achieve the goals.. Once the individual has surpassed the third crisis, he/she must face the fourth crisis, which is industry vs. inferiority. This stage involves the children using their hands to learn such as making things, using tools, and acquiring the necessary skills to obtain success. They will develop an industrious attitude if the requirements are met. On the other hand, if it fails, the child will develop a sense of inferiority and feelings of inadequacy that may haunt them throughout life. The next crisis on the list is identity vs. role confusion. This time, the individual is beginning to have a concern on how they appear to others. In addition, a sense of identity must be achieved or else it will result in role confusion and doubts about sexual identity. In the next crisis, intimacy vs. isolation talks about how an individual must learn how to form an intimate relationship. If he/she avoids these experiences, it will lead to isolation and lack of commitment. The following crisis, generatively vs. stagnation crisis involves the individual is establishing and guiding the next generation. If this is not properly handled, the individual will experience stagnation. Once that crisis is resolved, the last one is integrity vs. despair. If the individual has lived a happy life, he/she will look back with no regrets. However, if the individual life has been miserable, then he/she will regret for not doing the right thing. These eight steps of psychosocial development show the progress of one�s life. As I was reading over the eight steps, it surprised me on how the first five steps really relates to my life. Looking back, the first crisis was really important. Although I don�t remember much, I have seen pictures of myself as an infant in the arms of my parents smiling happy together. This warm feeling brings us together that is inseparable. I still have a strong relationship with my parents so I guess they resolved the crisis without much difficulty. During the second stage, I find it really intriguing because my parents gave me a sense of confidence where I can do anything. I remember the first time I was able to walk. It was really exciting, because I was able to walk by myself without the help of my family members. It was their strength and their encouragement that allowed me to overcome the second crisis. The third stage was even better because I was able to go to school for the first time. My teachers and parents taught me many things at school as well at home. I actually wanted to be an artist when I was young and there was this one incident that I will never forget. I was scribbling on paper with pencil crayons my parents bought for me. After I finished scribbling on the paper, I decided put my creation on the wall. It was pretty fun, because I used different colours to decorate the wall. After my parents found out and disciplined me, I realized that it was wrong to draw on the wall. As a result. I was able to distinguish from what was right and what was wrong. The next crisis was important as well, because school was something that suddenly became important in my life. It is where I was able to master my basic social and academic skills to assist me in the future. I wanted to succeed and live a happy life. The next crisis is by far the hardest one to resolve. Once I stepped into high school, it was a completely different atmosphere that scared me for the first few days. Due to the fact that I moved to a new neighborhood, I felt that making new friends was my number one priority. Appearance was very important to me when I first started my high school years. In addition, I had a lot of questions when I was in high school such as my desired career path in the future. However, after exploring my options and discovering what I really wanted to do, I felt more refreshed than I was before. So far, I have been able to complete 5 stages of the psychosocial theory of development. After glancing through the next three stages, I knew that I didn�t make the wrong decision in choosing Erikson�s theory over Freud�s theory. I was brought up in a culture where I should be able to find a wife and have kids so that my generation will continue. I also can�t imagine myself being single forever because there will be so many things that I will be missing out such as having kids! Moreover, I agree with Erikson on how he said that the generative person should help guide the next generation. Once you get older, you have to use your knowledge to enlighten the young one�s because the future belongs to them now. I also liked how the last crisis talked about whether an individual had a successful life or not. Once you get to a certain age, you look back to see whether your life was a success or a failure. I just hope that when I get to that certain age, I will be satisfied with my life. That way I can leave the world with no regrets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: