Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great expectations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Great expectations? Reply with quote

What are your expectations from Obama and do you think he will meet them?

I look forward to replies...
pugachevV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless he can feed the five thousand, walk on water, cure the sick, lame and weary then ascend into heaven, I don't think he can meet expectations.
Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Obama certainly has a difficult job ahead of him. Right now, one of his biggest challenges is getting agreement to help stop the economic problems before they get worse.

He is young, energetic, and full of enthusiasm. I think he will make progress, but it will take time...and patience.

No matter what he does, someone will always disagree or protest. Our country has been divided into two distinct political parties, and it will be hard to bring everyone together.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama looks promising specifically with respect to reviving economy as well as fight against terror.
It is commendable that he rose to the occasion to yield pressure on Pakistan into a U-turn on their earlier stand that they have nothing to do with 26/11. I already have a (tentative) crush on him.
That said, both India and US are now too very appeased with Pakistan, which will most likely backtrack once they pocket the $55M aid.
It is strategic to appreciate and encourage Pakistan that has for the first time "owned up", as long as they don't fool us with a sham of admission, arrests and trials.
What is hard to digest is how the world's smartest country can make such a big fool of itself by pumping in military aid to Pakistan all these years, when a child can tell where it is all going. Pakistan has meanwhile emerged as the smartest country who knows how to do war with India without incurring costs and blaming it on non state actors.
Anyhow, Obama has taken the first step towards a hopeful global victory on terror and probably launched himself on the top Al-Quaeda hit list. We have to see where it all goes from here.
alper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

in my opinion, Obama is one of the best leaders USA will ever have, sure that he's not a hero and as a friend has just put down, he's not supposed to walk on water or cure the sick

I think, if America stops investing on ongoing wars, that could work.. Because everyone knows that the USA's money is being wasted on those conspiracy theories.. one cannot make money and life via others' lives and for oil and other needs, sure that there are more humanistic and peaceful solutions

I agree with Anuradha about Obama's having a promising vision.. I hope his dreams can come true and I think that's not impossible...
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Obama is a very charismatic leader, but we can't be naive when it comes to politics. Now he has achieved power, he is going to do what the people who helped him to get there tell him to (and I am not talking about his electors - I'm talking about the ones who financed his campaign).

I don't know why, but a lot of Brazilians, even intelectuals and journalists, like Obama and are vey optimistic about his administration. Some of them really believe things will change under his government because Obama is a black man, and therefore, "quite different from his predecessors".

In my humble opinion, it's ridiculous to think this way. I simply believe the colour of a man's skin has nothing to do with his ideas, capacity, potential or honesty, inter alia.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 days of Obama's Facebook news feed.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/14/afghanistan-womens-rights-rape
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was the Afghan women were doing better under the Soviet supported PDPA regime. Communism helps fight religious dogma.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama watch:

Hehe...and we all thought Nobel prizes are earned.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
Obama watch:

Hehe...and we all thought Nobel prizes are earned.

Fooled you. It (the Peace Prize) hasn't been about actual accomplishments since 1994 when Arafat won it for agreeing to not kill Israelis for a brief span. A very brief span.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prize is best scrapped, isn�t it? If anything, we are coded to fight for resources, land, water and now even airspace. And not for peace. The tools will change from stone to iron to bomb, the struggle remains. Whether it is India and Pakistan over Kashmir, Xingjian�s struggle for separation, China occupying Tibet, Palestine�, Iraq...., Afghanistan�. all are proof of Darwin.

It is selflessness that is perversion, un-scientific. Some religions urge us to rise above our selfish genes, but it�s unnatural and the latter trump to hijack the very religions to strengthen their struggle.

End of rant for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: