Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS listening and reading practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherdominic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: IELTS listening and reading practice Reply with quote

I spend quite a lot of time cruising the net looking for good resources. One problem is that not everything you find out there is too great. Here's a little bit of gold dust for you though. It's

Masterclass
http://www.oup.com:80/elt/global/products/ielts/masterclass/a_practice_test/

This is truly excellent. Really high quality material with a complete listening and reading test. But what I really and truly like about it is that it is not interactive. That sound strange? Let me explain: for me this is a really top tip for IELTS preparation.

Reading
You'll know that one time is your enemy in the reading paper. But where do you waste most time? The chances are that it is looking for the right part of the text to get the answer.

Here's a solution. Not everyone will agree with me here, but give it a go and see if it works for you. As you read through first time mark the text with your pencil, picking out key words/phrases that organise the text. you know the boring topic sentences! That way you'll be able to find the right part of the text to get the answer quickly. And, to repeat myself, time is your enemy.

Here's another thing you should think about doing. When you find the answer, underline it in the text and write the number of the question against it. This way, if you find what you think may be a better answer later, you can quickly(that word again) and easily check to see which is the best answer.

Could you do this on an online, interactive test - fun as it may be? I don't think so. This is where the Masterclass site really works.

Listening

It's much the same with the listening. Much of the problem with the listening is not hearing the answer, but writing it down in real time. The problem is you are multi-tasking: reading the question, thinking, listening and writing all at once. That's why your listening score may not be so great.

A solution? You need to practise writing and listening at the same time. You can't do this online, you need pen and paper. You need to practise the skill of making notes and transferring those notes onto the answer paper.

Do yourself a favour - give the Masterclass site a try. I am in no way connected to it, I am just a teacher who likes to help. If you need answer sheets and I do suggest you practise with them because many, many mistakes are made by filling them out wrongly, you can download them from my site

Dominic Cole's IELTS Blog
http://www.dcielts.com

Happy practice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: