Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bushfires in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4B Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Bushfires in Australia Reply with quote

I was reading the newspapers this week and there was a lot of news about bushfires. I thought you might be interested in this because it's local news. Basically, it is really hot and dry here in Australia and there is a very high fire risk. Last year many people died in terrible fires that suddenly swept through areas of Victoria. However, since then the emergency services have organised a new system for fire warnings. Last week there was a big fire at Toodyay in Western Australia, but nobody was killed because they used the new warning system. The radio and television stations broadcast the warnings, so people know to get out of there quickly. 38 homes were completely destroyed, and people have lost their businesses. What natural disasters do you get in your country ?
leesomyung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: natural disasters in South Korea Reply with quote

I didn't have experiences of natural disasters in my country.
I live in Busan. Busan is second biggest city in Korea and locate South.
Specially, Busan is not very cold and snowy day is very rare in winter.
So many people is embarrassed about heavy snow.
I think emergency system is very poor.
stone-4best

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: natural disasters in China Reply with quote

the latest natural disasters in China is the Wenchun Earthquake which happaned May 12,2008. people critised that because of the goverment late responed for rescuing,the Earthquake led to over 1000 people died and over 100 trillions RMB economic lost.
Eunna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: My country's disaster. Reply with quote

I heard the bushfiers in Australia. That's too bad news. My country is winter now, so my country is usually use the heating system now. Therefore my country is also be careful for the fire. But this year, I don't heard the bad news about the disaster not yet. In winter, my country is so many accident about forest fire because of the strong wind. My country is so wet. In summer, the lots of rains are goes to flood, so many people are seek a shelter. But not usually. My country is so safe in compare with other countries.
minhee7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my country also have fire risk. because weather is now winter, windy, and construction. My home is close to the Mountain. When once arrive fire risk, fire truck alarmed and helicopter flyed over the house.
In summer, The rain was fall down, and we worried of flood. Many houses, buildings were locked in the water. So we help another poeple who have many risk.
Korea is 4 weather. so various risk have happening.

Last edited by minhee7 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
songyi park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Bushfires in Korea Reply with quote

I've heard of Bushfires in Australia before. Australia has a very hot weather and is free from moisture, you know. On the other hand, Korea is very moisture especially in summer. Even though we have moisture weather, we always have to be careful of Bushfires. Because Korea is Windy In spring and autumn.
hyeri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: In Korea Reply with quote

My contury is winter now. so Korea is very dry. we have a danger.
But Korea didn't come fire yet. I have a peace of mind about fire.
However we have to prepare for fire. Korea is relieving.
I think our emergency system dosen't prepare. I saw the situation that fire fighting wasn't done well.
Now Korea have a sliding risk because of snow.
But many people is having the chain. so we don't have a accident.
Maybe our contury people are playing the ski and snow board.
I want to enjoy the ski and snow board.[/b]
kimbodyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a heavy snowfall in the Kangwon-do area in Korea.
So most of bottles in beer factory were breaked.

And in summer hundreds of poeple became homeless by the flood.
kei_in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Hong Kong, there were many typhoons in summer. Students and almost people were not going to school and working. However, a few people, like working at the airport, they were also going to work all the time when the typhoon was coming. Houses, trees and cars were broken at that time. Fortunately, nobody was killed because the government demanded the people going back to home. They demanded through the TV and radio, as same as Australia.
c-akira

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What natural disasters do you get in your country ?

There are really many natural disasters in my country, Japan. For example, Typhoon, Flood Tide, Tunami and Earthquake. Especialy, Earthqake is the most terrible, I think.
In japan, Earthqake almost always occers and big earthquakes sometimes occer heavy dameges for our lives. They destroy our lives and propaties.
NicoleLin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sad that we have many natural disasters like typhoons,earthquakes in my country, Taiwan.
We have many typhoons during summer time that the rain season. I remembered that we have a heavily typhoon last year in 8th August(that day is The Father's Day for us). It was the most seriously one especially south of Taiwan in the past 50 years . Over 600 people died in terrible typhoon, hundred of bridges had disrupt and also many people lost their house. A few little towns were covered by earthflow. The roads can not connected with outside and people can not contact to their family. Kids couldn't go to school and parents couldn't work.
It is really terrible when the natural disasters coming. I hope the government can establish a good emergency system like Australia for the natural disasters. Otherwise it is always many people and land hurt everytime.

Last edited by NicoleLin on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
nono22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone Smile

I would like to talk today about what happied last mounth in my country Sauid Arabia, it's a big desaster Crying or Very sad what is a huge floods. Many families didn't have house now to live in, no bed, foods, no place to stay on. On the other hand, there are many organization to help all this people to find new home,now every things it's good.
kei_in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i am really lucky live in my country.
i read many posts are talking about your country disasters. There are typhoon(as like as HK)and earthquake(HK hasnt earthquake).
In winter, HK hasnt snow, isnt cold in winter.but it's dry.
stone-4best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: my family Reply with quote

my family is also a family ,which dislike the one-kid per family policy,so there are 4 kids in my family. me ,my brother,my two sisters,
which lead that my parents got cash penenlty and reduced paid,plus no more promoting in their company ,a state-owned company,whatever they did very best!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: