Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinion writing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4B Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Opinion writing Reply with quote

Hello everyone and welcome to the TOEIC/TOEFL preparation class. In both tests, we are required to write about our opinions.
Please write a paragraph about this topic. I will only check the work of my own students here, but everyone is welcome to join our discussion.

Topic:
"Television has had a destructive influence on our ability to communicate." Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
hcwlv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: (H)HongChangWon's opinion Reply with quote

yes I agree with you.
when i take a toeic test or others exam in the futher, presumably
i have difficulty finding answers, because there are a lot of mistakes on the TV and the Internet, so i'm disturbed to find answers.
When i worked for the army for 2 years, there were a few people who hadn't known about own language.
Just they could speak korean, but they didn't know how to write exactly. Using the Television and the Internet effect to someone decidedly.

HappyBirthday to you~~~~~~ teacher~
ppongdda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: I don't agree with this statement. Reply with quote

I don't think so because TV offers us a chance to communicate with each other. Imagine life without TV. We always have something to discuss relative to TV Programmes.

We continue our communication about that and finally our ablility to communicate will imorove unconsciously

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVELY Becky ^^

Last edited by ppongdda on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
alex-vinot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion television television has had a destructive influence on our ability to communicate because actually people prefers to stay in front of the TV instead of meeting friends or going outside. the TV is like a washing brain machine, people just watch and keep silence, but it's the same thing with all the kind of screen, you are just focuss on it and nothing more.
songyi park

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Television has had a destructive influence on our ability to Reply with quote

Television has 2 different sides of influence on our ability to communicate. One is postive, another is negative you know.
In my opinion, television has had a destructive influence on our ability to communicate. nowdays, When we watch TV, there are a lot of incentive programs. So, many people seem to easy to addict on TV program. therefore, we may not talk to each other. As time goes by, people will be selfish. I think it's very important to talk each other, and helping each other too.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY Very Happy
kimbodyline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think television has bad influence to communicate.
For example, after dinner we usually watch TV.
There's no chance to talk each other.
their relationship is going to cool off.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY *^^*
HAVE A NICE DAY !
NicoleLin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think television is a good communicate tool and play an impotant role for human.
I am not really agree television has had a destructive influence on our ability to communicate. It's depends on how many hours do people usually spend time on TV and what program do people watched. For me, I didn't spend much time on TV and I always spent times on news so I can discussed many current events from news with different people and I can know people's different opinions. Sometimes I watched the amusement programs for fun and I can get many information,for example:food,travel info,something like taht. And also I can have common topics to talk about with friends. But the important thing is communicated the right info and educated the right things for people.
However,if people just watched TV all the time and don't want to go out and talk to people, I think it's a big destructive influence for people. You'll easy to become a couch potato. It's not good for your health and interpersonal relation.

BTW,happy birthday to Becky! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
4B Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: new topic to write about Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for wishing me a happy birthday.
I enjoyed reading about your views on television very much.
To help you to organise your writing, please remember to use linking words and write a topic sentence at the start of each new paragraph.
Now a new topic:
Write a paragraph about the influence of the internet. Do you think it is a good influence on society, or a bad one ?

Last edited by 4B Teacher on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimbodyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write a paragraph about the influence of the internet. Do you think it is a good influence on society, or a bad one ?

internet is a bad influence on society. because we don't know who wrote the bad rumer. so many public entertainer suicided because of the rumer.
i think we should stop using unidentified name.
simonhu88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things have good and bed influence at the same time. So is the internet. But generally, I think it's a good influence on societe. There are many positive usages of internet, including information searching, real time comunication, message transformation and online entertainment. All of above mentioned internet functions have become very helpful and important for our daily life.

Simon Hu
ramblinghun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the english TV programs on the korean channels are only useful for ppl who already can communicate in english. for the rest who are just getting there is a waste of time, and its outcome is a feeling that there is still so much ahead. trying to learn a language by learnign the nature of each single sentence is the long way to nowhere. you have to learn how to make them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: