Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to learn American Slang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matsumi23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Best way to learn American Slang Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been searching the web for the best slang resources. I study a lot but I wasn't able to understand the slang in most American movies. I think most school textbooks are too old to really tell you the stuff Western people say. I mentioned in another post that the podcast you can put on your Ipod at www.china232.com is awesome for spoken English and slang. Anyone around the world with a decent level of reading and writing but wants to improve spoken English should listen to that one. I've tried them all and it's the best I'm sure. There are some other podcasts too for different levels so try some others to see what you like. China232 is certainly the coolest one in my opinion.

Also, if you just want some fresh slang terms that really appear on movies, try the free email slang course at www.englishslangdictionary.com You just put your email in and you get cool slang that you wouldn't get in school or anywhere I have ever found.
Have fun with these sites. Smile
Widya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: try the link Reply with quote

thanx for the information
but I got a problem, when I try the link http://www.englishslangdictionary.com/
I could not to explore it... why?!
I've fulfilled the requirement s but I still could not to open it...
maybe you can give me some suggestios...

thank you Very Happy
jcmacro

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fantastic to know that there is a site where you can learn the western slang especially if you are an immigrant! You can really feel like a �fish out of water� and it really helps you to have sites like these where you can immediately get the hang of the language so that you can identify yourself with the people there!! You feel really embarrassed when you are �all at sea� not being able to understand the local slang being used especially among school and college and peers!! Very informative and the added bonus that there is a free email slang coursework too!!!
vernongstamm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Online Tutor Reply with quote

The best way to learn American slang is generally from a Native American English speaker. We generally have the true meanings of this type of slang whereas a few of those books have what is believed to be the meaning of American slang. Want to learn, well I can help. www.stammeducation.net or email: [email protected].
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: