Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

God is unimaginable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sridatta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: God is unimaginable Reply with quote

God being the generator of space, is beyond space and therefore, can never be imagined

The unimaginable God is beyond the four-dimensional model of space and time. You can imagine the dissolution of matter converting into energy filling the space. Subsequently you can imagine the disappearance of energy in the space and the result is final vacuum. But, even if you try for your lifetime, you can never imagine the disappearance of vacuum.

God being the generator of space is beyond space and therefore, can never be imagined. If you have to imagine God, the pre-requisite is the imagination of disappearance of space or vacuum. Of course space is a form of very fine energy and in this context the word energy used by Me can be taken as crude form of energy. The only knowledge about God is that He is beyond the knowledge (Yasyaamatam� Veda).
pugachevV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are imagining that God is the generator of space. In your mind, whether you admit it or not, you have a picture of what God might look like.
It's arrant nonsense to say God can't be imagined.
CP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugachevV wrote:
You are imagining that God is the generator of space. In your mind, whether you admit it or not, you have a picture of what God might look like.

I second the motion. Brother! The unimaginable Sridatta.
sridatta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugachevV wrote:

In such case, you cannot use the word �Unimaginable� at all! Then, why that word is created? What is the meaning of that word? If you choose that way, silence only indicates God and some have followed this way also. Suppose you say, �I cannot utter that�. Does this mean that you have uttered that? Therefore, it is one and the same to indicate God through silence or through the word unimaginable. If a word is not assigned, mention of God becomes impossible in the spiritual knowledge. Veda uses the word �Unimaginable� for God (Atarkyah�Aprameyah�).
pugachevV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word "unimaginable" is not just used in relation to god. The word means, difficult or impossible to comprehend or imagine.. There are many things like that. I find, for instance, gravity is difficult to imagine. I know what it does, but what does it look like?

If you don't understand something, it doesn't mean god did it.
If I say "I cannot utter that." It means,"I can't say that." It certainly doesn't mean, "I have said that."
Your grasp of logic seems to be a little shaky.
It is not the same to indicate god through silence as it is to use the word unimaginable to describe it. The word "unimaginable" does not improve on the silence.
If you are quoting Veda to me, which Veda are you quoting?
And, since the Hindu religion, of which the Vedas are a part, has many gods, all of which have physical representations, all its gods are imaginable. I accept that it's possible that you personally have a limited imagination. All men are not necessarily created equal (the US Declaration of Independence notwithstanding) but most Hindus, Christians, Muslims and Jews, apparently have no difficulty in imagining the gods they worship.
sridatta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugachevV wrote:
The word "unimaginable" is not just used in relation to god. The word means, difficult or impossible to comprehend or imagine.. There are many things like that. I find, for instance, gravity is difficult to imagine. I know what it does, but what does it look like?

If you don't understand something, it doesn't mean god did it.
If I say "I cannot utter that." It means,"I can't say that." It certainly doesn't mean, "I have said that."
Your grasp of logic seems to be a little shaky.
It is not the same to indicate god through silence as it is to use the word unimaginable to describe it. The word "unimaginable" does not improve on the silence.
If you are quoting Veda to me, which Veda are you quoting?
And, since the Hindu religion, of which the Vedas are a part, has many gods, all of which have physical representations, all its gods are imaginable. I accept that it's possible that you personally have a limited imagination. All men are not necessarily created equal (the US Declaration of Independence notwithstanding) but most Hindus, Christians, Muslims and Jews, apparently have no difficulty in imagining the gods they worship.

All the non-God items are worldly objects, which are parts of creation. All these items are known first and then only their existence is mentioned. When you say that a pot exists, it means that you are stating the existence since you know the pot already. Hence, the existence of any worldly item requires the knowledge of that item already. If you do not know anything about an item, you will not say that it exists. Hence, the existence always requires the prior knowledge of the item. But God is beyond world and is unimaginable since God is not known.

Hence, the existence of God is not similar to the existence of the worldly items. Since the existence of worldly items, which requires prior knowledge of the item, is absent in the case of God, God can be said as an item not having the existence of worldly items and hence God is non-existent (Asat) in this sense. This does not mean that God is really non-existent because God really exists as per Veda (Astityeva�.) and hence God exists (Sat).

Veda says that angels and sages came to know only one point about the God after long hectic discussions. That single point is that God is unknown (Yasyaamatam Tasyamatam�). Even Gita says that no body knows anything about God (Mamtu veda Nakaschana.). Therefore, the unimaginable nature of God is clearly established by the sacred scriptures.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gita, nobody knows anything about God.
So how do you know it exists?
If something exists, somewhere, somebody will know about it.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sridatta:
You seem to have gotten your arguments all mixed up. I'm not sure Gita says that, although I'm not in a frame of mind to take up the debate in detail. Would need a lot of time and research.
I appreciate the non-confrontational tone of your posts, though. However, I only vertical read them, if at all. So I could be wrong.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
I'm not sure Gita says that, although I'm not in a frame of mind to take up the debate in detail. Would need a lot of time and research.

I know there's a pretty good on-line version of the Bible, and some on-line versions of the Koran. Both are searchable for text or subject. Is there an on-line Gita you'd recommend?
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is online Gita - searchable. But the phrase 'Mamtu veda Nakaschana' Sridatta is quoting is not to be found. Probably he could tell us the chapter and verse number and I can find out.

Gita, though largely Krishna's explanations for doubts raised by Arjuna, also involves dialogues between other people involved in the Mahabharata war. So just quoting a word, a phrase, or a verse doesn't suffice. It counts who said that, in what context.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sridatta agrees that phrase is not there in Gita.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. i don't think god exists.
even if he is real and unimaginable someone who creates whole universe, and throw people away in hell, i still don't believe it exists.
because something that can't be explained, imagined, and proved is not different with not existing.
you should bring evidence to persuade that opinion to people, not just explain it by it cannot be explained
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: