Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is the meaning of the sentence?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleflych

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: what is the meaning of the sentence? Reply with quote

I saw a sentence in a novel. The sentence is "It was strange to her to see Peter looking as he looked now", but I can't understand the meaning of the sentence.

What is the meaning of the sentence?

I think the key problems is on grammar relations, but I have no idea.

The novel and the sentence can be found in the webpage:

http://english.zgxue.com/html/75/759144.html

Please help me. Thanks a lot in advance.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what is the meaning of the sentence? Reply with quote

eagleflych wrote:
I saw a sentence in a novel. The sentence is "It was strange to her to see Peter looking as he looked now", but I can't understand the meaning of the sentence.

What is the meaning of the sentence?

I think the key problems is on grammar relations, but I have no idea.

The novel and the sentence can be found in the webpage:

http://english.zgxue.com/html/75/759144.html

Please help me. Thanks a lot in advance.

It means that Peter's face looked different than it used to look, and it seemed strange to her. In the story, the sentence continues by explaining that his face was now pale and stern and he seemed so much older. That was the change that seemed strange to her. Does that help?
eagleflych

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies.

If I don't misunderstand, in the sentence, the three words of "see", "looking" and "looked" have the same time quality. That is to say, "see", "looking" and "looked" exist at the same time.

Supposing the time is A time, then "to see Peter looking as he looked now" can be transformed into "at A time, to see that A time's appearance of Peter is the same as A time's appearance of Peter".

It seems to be illogical, doesn't it?
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleflych wrote:
Thank you for your replies.

If I don't misunderstand, in the sentence, the three words of "see", "looking" and "looked" have the same time quality. That is to say, "see", "looking" and "looked" exist at the same time.

Supposing the time is A time, then "to see Peter looking as he looked now" can be transformed into "at A time, to see that A time's appearance of Peter is the same as A time's appearance of Peter".

It seems to be illogical, doesn't it?

Actually I don't quite understand what you mean, probably because I understood the original sentence's meaning, and didn't stop to think about whether or not it made sense Wink.
TEFLLab Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: the use of 'Now' Reply with quote

in the sentence may cause issues with understanding. The author used it because it's dull to list every action in the past simple and sometimes we use the present simple for verbs or words like 'now' for time references to make the action more immediate or nearer to the reader.

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: