Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a question about "only"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleflych

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: a question about "only" Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies in advance.

My question is:

Suppose the circumstances:

Some people thought it needed more than three people to push over a wall, but then three people pushed over the wall.

I think the fact proves that it is easy to push over the wall. It doesn't need more than three people.

Can I say "only three people pushed over the wall" to express the meaning above?

I feel the sentence is wrong, because the sentence implies "no other people participated the action of the pushing over the wall".

But what is the right expression?

Thanks a lot.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, "It only took three people to push over the wall."
laurabates

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Help with your English Reply with quote

Hi Eagleflych,

Lorikeet is right, the correct sentence would be 'It only took three people to push over the wall'. You were right to worry that 'only three people pushed over the wall' would sound like there were only three- you need to be specific that the 'only' is related to how many were needed so it ONLY TOOK three people.... is correct

Hope this helps! For other English writing tips check out this really helpful blog at a great website I found for essay help - they can help you with your essays and provide sample essays but also their blog is really useful for answering common English language and grammar questions such as 'should I use I or me?' and 'is 'alright' all right?'

Really hope this helps with your english

good luck!

Laura
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: