Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 Cool Ways to Improve Your Business English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnglishLCI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: 5 Cool Ways to Improve Your Business English Reply with quote

You might be under a lot of stress to learn English if you need it for work or a business trip, but learning English should be a fun experience. When we do something we enjoy, we donít have to make an effort in order to learn it: our brains learn it by themselves and they wonít forget it easily! Follow these steps; some are specifically targeted to Business English skills, while others are great to improve general skills like listening or pronunciation.

1) Try to sort out the lyrics of your favorite songs as you listen to them. To improve listening comprehension, play a song and listen to the story itís telling you. This might be very hard to achieve, but donít lose heart. Some singers use slang and sing very fast! This may discourage you, but you could always search for the lyrics on the Web. As time goes by, youíll notice youíll be catching what they are saying more and more easily.

2) Sing the songs you love to listen to! This is a great and creative way to improve your pronunciation. Let loose and imitate what you hear. Pay special attention to the intonation, and read the lyrics as you sing if you need to.

3) Imitate (out loud) what you hear in movies. Listen to Robert De Niro saying ďDonít you talk back to meĒ, or to Al Pacino whispering something and become an actor too Ėbecause this is what itís all about: learning a new way of saying something and becoming a new character. Watch a whole movie without reading the subtitles. Donít get discouraged if you donít understand every word. Did you know that blind people develop a sharp hearing? Imitate them. Close your eyes and your ears will open up.

4) Read literature. You can also read comic books, newspapers, and business blogs (a great source of business vocabulary), but never forget that literature is one of the endless sources of language. It registers thousands of voices, ways of expressing, and it will fill you with vocabulary and grammar while you lose yourself in a fictional story. Reading and watching movies will help you stay up to date with the latest slang phrases and the different contexts in which theyíre used.

5) Attend a Business English conversation group. Or start your own group by calling your friends to join you. When surrounded by others, and working with them, keeping a goal in mind is easier. You can get together and talk about any business topic you like (what happened at a recent meeting, an article you read in The New York Times, latest trends and news, etc), or you can set specific tasks, such as writing business emails or preparing a Power Point presentation. You can read in groups and correct each other.

These are just some examples of how you can improve your Business English, whether youíre attending ESL classes or not. Take advantage of all of the resources available to you!

Rachel Clarkson is an English teacher at LCI English ESL Programs and blogger at the ESL Blog.
jcmacro

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that this is a very effective way to improve your Business English!! It looks too easy - but I assure you, it works!! As we know, the basic rule to learn any strange language is to first listen to it and then start speaking. The idea of sorting of the lyrics (I am sure we have all done it in our school days!!) of your favorite song and singing it, are really great ways to improve your understanding of the language and improving it!! Must really recommend it to friends who, I am sure, will find the ideas worth trying out!!
biz4tech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am searching these tips and need some more tips so i can speak fluently English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: