Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOEFL and TOEIC writing practice Term 5 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4B Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: TOEFL and TOEIC writing practice Term 5 2010 Reply with quote

Hello class,
Please write about the following topic for your writing practice. I will only check the work of my own students but anyone is welcome to join our group discussion. Please use the 'reply' button to keep in this forum.
This term's topic:
Recently a large oil company started drilling for oil in the sea near your home town. Although this will bring employment to thousands of local people, it could also cause a major environmental disaster if there were an oil spill. Do you agree or disagree with the oil company drilling for oil in your area ? Give reasons or examples to support your opinion.
If you look in the news about the recent spill in America you may get some good ideas for your writing exercise !!!
jenny88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree with that oil company drill in my area. We can't live without oil these days as you know. If we don't have any technician to drill oil, we have to lend to it from another foreign company. They can provide jobs to local people as well as produce oil. Although it cause some environmental disaster, we need to drill oil firstly. If we don't produce oil any more for that reason, the oil price will be increase radically and then many countury will argue about this problem to take possession oil. In conclusion, we can drill oil firstly while we creature fungible oil eco-friendly.
kanoko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: oil spill in my kochi Reply with quote

I disagree about this scheme. Mainly, because it is possible to happen that oil spill. The odds on that will happen is rare, but if it happens, it takes a lot of time and money to remove them. Moreover, it will frighten the life of local people. Especially a water surply is the most controversial problem. Certainly, there are for reason, for instance, increasing of job opportunity which bring them developing of economy so that make their life be more convenience and high technological in the future. However, as I concerened above, eventhough oil spill happens at once, it could be impossible to remove them completely.In my opinion, if people wants to let their town last longer, they should not accept that scheme. It takes a lot of risk.
tora1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: my opinion about drilling for oil by oil company Reply with quote

i think oil is very important thing for living specally on the every industry in the world. can you image the life without oil? i think you cant say yes i think as we know drilling the oil from the sea it can cause very dangerous situation for enviroment of the sea but there are lots of good thing for us as you know drilling can provide lots of jobs with the person who want to work or job seaker and i am not sure about this but i think we can buy the oil more cheap more than before maybe so i carefully guess i can agree that if they need more oil in necessary but they are supposed to be careful when they do drill in the sea that`s all of my opinion
thanks for hearing my poor opinion thanks
iioos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: I disagree about this subject Reply with quote

First of all, I disagree about this subject because already we have many oil company of the world and oil is on the brink of being exhausted. Although It will bring a lot of employment, also It will bring huge enviornmental disaster. It is so important because if we start drilling for oil in the sea, it will bring many benefit for us at first time but it is just temporary phenomenon. After all this time, that should not be happening. Actually, It will bring more disadventage than benefit. There have been many similar cases for example "USA GULF OF MEXICO OIL SPIL"
This accident show us the important of enviornmental.
In conclusion, we don't have to act rashly.
Arisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: oil spill Reply with quote

I disagree with the oil company drilling for oil in our area. If they drill for oil in the sea near my home town, it is possible to spill some oil. I'm worried about influence for sea and people who work on the sea. In my country, many people work as a fishery, and we often eat fishes and seafoods. So, if a lot of fishes are influenced by an oil spill, Iwe can't eat them. And many fishery might lose a job. So I disagree with it.
AhnJiyoung

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: opinion Reply with quote

Actually, I`m agree this topic.
I think this is so important thing for us also driling give to us a mount of employment , that`s good on us!
But this way will be just a temporary work until we develop another way.
Although driling can intimidate environment,also worry about spill the oil on the sea. That`s really big problem all over the world , so we have to
carefully when driling.Don`t forget we`ll been provide lots of profit cause this driling the oil from the sea
bogeun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: disagree Reply with quote

If oil company start drilling for oil in my town, i will oppose to the end. Of course drilling of oil will help economic development of my town but i think there are lots of disadventage more than adventage to my area. It is possible to make big environment pollution. It means including air. water and ground pollution. In addition after using oil it causes some chemicals (carbon dioxide, methane ect.). These are very harmful to people.
nozomi inoue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Oil spill Reply with quote

Oil drilling is important thing to extract our main resources, but it cause heavy environmental pollution. Tell the truth, the oil spill affect marine habitats, animals, beaches and human health. Although Japanese people like to eat fish, so if oil spill happen around Japan, it influence eating habits and the Japanese economy.
hellfy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Oilling ~ Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned that drilling for oil in the sea near my home town would be very dangerous for our living and natures. Although we can earn money thanks to building oil refinery, its actural revenue goes an oilling company. In this essay, I will explain my opinion by presenting two main reasons.

First of all, there is high possibility of oil spill. As you know, crude oil contains tons of toxic ingredients and when it spills our natures can be destroyed rapidly because of its speed of spreading. These chemicals can destroy not only our natures but also our lives. In the United States, for instance, there was a huge oil spill accident and it is spreading at this moments. BP, a British oilling company, announced that they will get rid of spilled oil but it is too late and large to handle it. It will be recoded the worst oil spill accident in human history. Because of this, building an oil platform causes destruction of our natures.

In addition, a lot of revenue which are earned by us must be belong to an oilling company not us. As you know, most of company are focusing on earn money. I think that they are a huge enterprise and they just want to earn money by producing oil products. They don't consider our natures or our life.

In conclusion, I don't think that building an oilling system brings us any profits or positive effects on our society. They are just a company which is always finding revenue and it has high possibility to destroy our nature and even our life.

Last edited by hellfy on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
pmj3813

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: i disagree Reply with quote

I disagree to drill for oil in my sea.

Actually my hometown,in Korea, is a thermoelectric power plant.
They give us many job and offer a scholarship.
But when I went to sea near to the thermoelectric power plant, I could see dirty water,dead fish around coming out hot water. Also I smelled a sickening smell.

If there is drilling for oil in my sea, what if it is broken?

A few years ago, in Korea, there were accident that hit between oil ship and boat. At that time it was very serious problem. The oil flew on sea, sea lifes put on oil. It took long time for rehabilitate.
Even though a possivility of accident is very low, loss must be enormous when it take place.

As well as there are necessity to be drilling for oil somewhere.
But it is too dangerous to accept the consequence of damage.
It's better not to use oil, to use unharmful energy.
we should spend money to find altenative energy instead of set up machine for driling oil.
JINWON

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion I agree. Even if there is oil spill accident near the my hometown, we should continue digging oil resource

Oil resource is the best important one of energy resource now. If we couldn't use it, we�ll face with serious world economy crisis. For example we wouldn't be able to use all transport so we wouldn't be able to export and import. We have cars which can move with solar-energy but it's not prantical transport yet.

Ecosystem is very important for human but it's also truth that we need energy resource everytime in our life. I think it's necessary thing for us. I think Nobody can't deny it. Of course sometimes we make mistake, like oil spill during the digging oil but we can also prevent it. Hometowns are important for everyone but I think world economy is more important then it.
haaaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a large oil company planned to start drilling for oil in the sea near my home town, I would strongly disagree with that. The reason is that there is a great risk from this idea. The recent news about oil spill in America must be still fresh in your mind. It causes many problems, such as destroying animals' habitats, themselves and even us. What is more, as the depession continues, it is very difficult to find a job. In this situation, if they will bring thousand of employment, it seems that unemployment in my hometown cannot get the chance to have a job. In conclusion, I don't agree with the idea. It is too risky.

Last edited by haaaru on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
khsjjang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: kim hee su opinions Reply with quote

i agree with the oil company drilling for oil in my area.
oil resource is very important to use for various thing so it's great worht

first. recently, In korea, we don't have any resouces . if there were an oil spill, we would find it. it will make that Korea will become more storng country than before. Even so, it made some environmental disaster. next, i don't think that oil drilling is only reason with environmental disaster. it's jsut one reason of disaster. we have to solve something else. and we can find good way for drilling oil and to protect environment.
we are developing a new skill for protecting environment.

secondly, many people need to get a job. because unemployed is on the increase. oil company would solve this problem. they wil bring employment. it also make to be happy for human.
if we don't start drilling for oil spill. we still have some problem with unemployment.

finally, most people say that environmant is very importnat for living.
i think so, but human is more important than it. now we have to think about unemployment people and my country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: