Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing elective class and TOEFL writing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4B Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Writing elective class and TOEFL writing Reply with quote

Welcome to our class everybody. Here is our discussion topic for this term.

If you could choose study something that you have never had the opportunity to study, what subject would you choose ? Explain your choice, using specific reasons and details to support your answer.

As for me, I would choose to study fine arts. I have always wanted to learn how to paint and draw and I have never had the opportunity to do this. I have tried to paint and draw as an amateur, with very mixed results. It is very difficult to learn specific techniques in the large classes and my teachers do not have the time to attend to all the students in the class. Some of my classmates are very good at painting, and it is frustrating to be a beginner in such classes !
However, if I went to more formal classes I would learn more about how to paint, get more individual attention, and develop my painting skills. I would also have the opportunity to exhibit and even sell some of my paintings, and that would be a dream come true for me.
hellfy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: If I get an opportunity to study something... Reply with quote

As for me, if I get an opportunity to study something, I want to study Russian language. Russia is the one of the biggest countries in the world and has not also long history but also great culture.

In this January, I got an opportunity to take part in one month of Winter Russian language school program as international student and it was an amazing experience. I had been FENU - Far Estern National University � and studied basic Russian language such as its grammar and conversation. Although it was just one month program, actually, I realised that learning foreign language is good to broaden my horizon and can be good experience. In my opinion, language reflects their culture and tradition so we can understand their ones by studying their language. Furthermore, my major is international trade so learning foreign language is very important for me. Even though Russia has a good relationship with Korea which is my country, actuall trade scale is quite small. Russia has a lot of natural resources and a high potential of growth.

To conclude, I would like to study Russian if I had the opportunity to do so.
hafa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I would love to take acourse in international cooking.
Although, I never cooked in my life befor I came here , now I find it really interesting.
It amazing how is it different from countery to countery ,furthermore, from person to another.
I think indian food is similar to arabic food that why I love it the most ,

Eventhough , I am starting now to collect recipes ,but most of them is saudi food .
However , I do not think I can be profetional or start a business because it is just somthing I am interesting in but not my passion.[/i]
asra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size=12]Hi every one Very Happy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have choices, I will choose study photography. I always want to know how to take a photo professionally and how to edit photos. In fact, I try improving my skills in photography these days by reading some lessons and watching videos on the internet. And sometimes, I use Photoshop program to edit my photos.

I think that photos have glamour; it can send hundred messages to the world! So I hope to be a big photographer. I have many ideas but I can�t display them clearly because I still unskilled photographer.
Photography could be either hoppy or a job. Actually, many

photographers today work in advert companies, newspapers or paid their photos in private gallery. So I can decide what I can do after I become professional.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asra
[/size]
javiera_duran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: DANCE! Reply with quote

DefiniteIy, I would have liked to study dance. I always have enjoyed dancing and each time that I see some modern or classic dancing presentation in a theatre, in a cinema or on the TV, I regret hadn't done it.

During my life, I have been part of few dancing groups, but nothing formal, just dancing for fun. For example when I was at the school I participated in a folk music group for 2 years. We played some musical instruments and we also danced national dances, such as "cueca"* and "pascuense"* twice per week. I spent a great time with them. However, I had to leave the group because my time was very limited.

Other experince with dancing was when I was 12 years old. It was also at school in the Cheerleaders team. I was part of this group for 3 years and it was an incredible experience. We participated in many competitions and we won many of them.

Although I have lived many experiences related with one my passions, nothing isn't really related with the kind of dance that I would have liked to study...a mixture of classic and modern dance. There is a movie that perfectly shows my idea. The name of this movie is "Street Dance". Other example of this type of dance is a dance group called Rock Dance. They were in Perth few weeks ago and their presentation was amazing!.

Finally, I always thought that if you have a dreams you have to do everything for making it happen, but in this case I think is impossible to do it for many reasons (my age, my protities now, etc), so dancing for me will be always my frustated dream.

*cueca and pascuense are traditional dances of my country (Chile)
Lee Yeon Jung

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: If I had a chance.... Reply with quote

I want to learn music. Especially I want to learn how to play the instrument, guitar. And I really like music, if I don't have an interest in something, I don't want to learn about it.
When I was young, I learned how to play the piano, but I've never learned how to play the guitar. And thesedays, I am interested in music whose melody is really beautiful. When I listen to these kinds of music, I think I want to play these melodies.
As I see people who can play the guitar they look like good musicians. Musician is a kind of artist.I think artist always do deep thinking and behave gently.
And different from piano, I can take a guitar anywhere. so when I want to play the instrument, I can play it.
And In my opinion, If you have an instrument which you can play, you can make a friend more easily. Because music can make us one. Eventhough we are from another country, so I can't understand what you are talking about and you can't understand what I'm saying, we can make a connection through music.
Therefore, I want to learn a guitar that I can play anywhere, anytime to make friends and get along with them.
aileenmio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: I would choose to study.... Reply with quote

I would choose to study music, I am interested in how to play bass. I was a member of a band when I was a high school student , there are three instrument in a band, drums, guiter and keybord. I can play keybord because I have play the piano for about 10 years and I learned how to play drums in university, so there still have two instrument that I don't know how to play.
One reason for I want to learn how to play the bass rather than the guiter is there are too many people playing guiter, and the most important thing is that between these two choice, grils often choose guiter because it is much easier for girls to play because bass's string is thicker then guiter's, therefor when we are doing some skills like sweep picking, slide ....etc, fingers will feel hurt. So it is too common to play guiter, I like to be diffrient to others.
Another reason is that I think the sound of bass is very special, I remembered that at the beginig, it is hard for me to seperate the sounds between bass and guiter, they are so similer, I oftrn got confused, but as the time went by, I finally understand the difference, since then, I was interested in this instrument. Here are something more interesting, we can use bass to substitute for drums in some songs, I found out this fact when I learnd how to play drums.
Even though it is difficult to play and I may have to practice it day and night, I still would like to give it a try. thus, I can not only be the drumer and keybord player but also the bass player in the future.
Emoar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: I love Photography Reply with quote

Since I was young, I�ve always loved looking at pictures and photographs. I used to cut the photos I like from magazines and books and a paste them in a big album. Two years ago, I received a compact camera as a birthday gift. I started using that camera and most of the pictures I took were admired by my family and friends. After being encouraged by my family, I bought a more professional camera and I started planning a private business. Most of the tips and tricks I learned them online but I�d love to study a full course that teaches me the basic knowledge I�d need in my photography. Even though I�m self-taught and still amateur, my photographs have been used in my university�s publications and I used my hobby as a side-business while studying. If you�d like, you could see some of my artwork here http://www.flickr.com/photos/emoar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> TOEFL and Other English Exams All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: