Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

give me writing tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mita Rosmina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: give me writing tips Reply with quote

hai guys....
for me writing is a nightmare...
actually i like ti write,but my writing is not good
if u like to write and have any tips,please tell me.
i need your help
such as how to write a good paragraph/ essay..
thanks...
laurabates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Hope this helps Reply with quote

Hi Mita Rosmina,
I have some tips for you!
First of all, a good way to work out when to start a new paragraph is to try to always keep each separate topic you write about to a different paragraph so your writing is clear to the reader. When you move on in your writing to a new idea, move on also to a new paragraph.
A good start for writing a good essay is to remember always to start with a short, clear introduction that sets out for the reader what you plan to write about and what your main ideas will be. Then at the end do a conclusion to sum up what you have said and remind them how it all fitted together.
If you struggle with writing then don't try to write too long, complex sentences, but focus on getting your grammar right and keeping your sentences short and simple so you know you are getting your ideas across clearly.
Another good idea is to get hold of some other peoples' essays so you can use them for inspiration and examples. I know a great website where you can get a custom essay written on any subject you like and it should be really high quality. I have used them before and it is always really helpful to look at their essays, to see how they set them out and structure them and what kind of language to use, then you can use these ideas in your own writing.

Really hope some of these ideas are helpful, good luck!

Laura

[Note: I just noticed there was a link to a website that writes custom essays. I think that is cheating. I removed the link. Learn how to write your own essays. There is some advice in the link in the next post--Lorikeet]
ieltsonly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read these two 'blog posts.

http://www.ieltsonly.co.uk/?cat=17

They are aimed at exam writing but contain some useful ideas.

Stephen
Jitu5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read more. it not only helps to widen you vocabulary but it helps you to become more familiar with words, sentence structuring and grammar.
Write more. When you have nothing to do write short stories, poems, songs, letters. This gets you used to using words and creating sentences and such like. As you practice writing you will develop more skills in using language.
Test your spelling. Get someone to give you spelling tests. Give yourself a list of words to learn every week or fortnight.
Keep lists. Keep lists of words that you find and absolutely love. Write them down and their meanings. this will get you familiar with new words and with longer words as well. it helps to expand your vocabulary beyond the basics. Keep lists like "long words", "funny sounding words", "10 letter words"... etc.
Talk to people. find people you can talk to who have bigger vocabulary or good english skills. if you are always talking with people who's language is pretty poor then you will not be exposed to better language. Language is very much an exposure type learning as well as a disciplined learning.

www.manuscriptedit.com
Editmachine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a simple suggestion, but in my experience it helps when writing in a second language: try reading your writing out loud to yourself. You will catch a lot of mistakes simply by hearing your English vs. the English you are used to hearing in daily life, Tv, etc.

www.editmachine.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: