Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Link between vaccines and autism?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hfgmhele

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Link between vaccines and autism? Reply with quote

Hello, everybody!

I recently read a story about a possible link between vaccines and autism in children. What do you think?

This is the link if you want to check the story: http://literacynet.org/cnnsf/autism/home.html

Actually, I think vaccines could have caused Russell�s disease because of the mercury it contained. This element is toxic to our brains in high amounts. It can result in central nervous system damages, which become evident when people suffer psychotic reactions such as delirium or hallucinations. In children, effects tend to be worst due to the fact that their brain is still growing and �learning how to work�. That�s why removing mercury from vaccines preparations was a good idea. However, there�s not real evidence that proves the link�s existence between autism and mercury, especially because most of current autistic children haven�t been vaccinated with vaccines containing the element. But, the worst part of it it�s that autism cases are increasing rapidly. Is this disease in DNA? Probably, but as in most of genetic traits� expression, environment plays a very important role. Maybe if a child grows up in a family that doesn�t stimulate his language, social and expression skills, he will be prone to suffering disorders such as autism. It can be concluded that there�s not only one reason for increasing autism cases and further studies should be carried out.
Vega

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced it's the vaccines that are increasing instances of autism. But on the other hand, I would like to see increased research on vaccines to determine whether they are dangerous or not. I think this whole vaccine-scare can be dangerous in that parents stop vaccinating their children and diseases that were once controlled become more prevalent or worse more children die because they were not vaccinated for the flu or for the standard booster shots. I do wonder if autism was misunderstood and was misdiagnosed for many years and that is why we see an increase in children with autism. I also could see that it could be an environmental issue. In fact, it could be due to the fact that our world is much more connected than it used to be. We are constantly coming into contact with people from other parts of the world or from people who have traveled in other parts of the world. It could be a pathogen that people are carrying with them. I don't know what it is but I'm not willing to stop getting my or my family's annual flu shot or other standard booster shots.
AlyssaM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Vega for your input. I think that there is no link between autism and vaccines. There are no reliable reports or studies that even show that to be true. I asked my doctor who has read all of those studies and he says that they are poorly done and bogus. I will continue to vaccinate my children and be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: