Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which is correct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chan-Seung Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: which is correct? Reply with quote

Quote:
Of all the clues God left for us to find, the greatest is the light, the Shekhinah. From that clue we can unfold a true picture of the deity.

I think that 'for' should be removed in the bold sentence: 'God left us to find' is right instead of 'God left for us to find'. Could you tell me if my view is right or wrong? If wrong, can you tell me why?

Thanks.
Mary W. Ng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: which is correct? Reply with quote

Quote:
Of all the clues God left for us to find, the greatest is the light, the Shekhinah. From that clue we can unfold a true picture of the deity.

I think that 'for' should be removed in the bold sentence: 'God left us to find' is right instead of 'God left for us to find'. Could you tell me if my view is right or wrong? If wrong, can you tell me why?

No, you can't remove 'for' . Doing so will totally change the meaning of the sentence.

In the underlined sentence, 'us' is the indirect object. If you remove 'for', 'us' will become the direct object.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary W. Ng: I get it. Thank you.
Mary W. Ng

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiromichi,

I'm glad I was able to help you.

If you have trouble with subject-verb agreement or parallel constructions, I'm available to help.

Laughing
IanT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.

We can distinguish between:

"He left us to cope on our own." in which case "us" is a direct object,

and

"he left us a note", in which case the direct object is clearly the note and "us", although it doesn't look like it, is an indirect object.

It's like a short version of "he left a note for us"

In the example here, the part "he left us to find" would look like the first example, but the presence of "clues" as the direct object earlier in the sentence should help the reader to realize that "us" is still an indirect object, even if the "for" isn't there.

So for me, the sentence is the same, and just as good, with or without the "for."

I hope that helps. If it's confusing, please ask more questions.
Ian

www.EnglishSwearing.com - How to use all the bad words! ... and ... www.throdworld.com - Silly verses to make you happy.

You decide the price for both!
hiromichi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanT:
I get your point. Then my next question is which is more natural.

By the way I responded by mistake to the reply to the original question despite that I was not an original questioner.
IanT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this quote it's slightly more natural with "for".

"For" makes it clear that, according to the writer, God really wanted us to find the clues. Without "for" it could seem as if God were a little more unconcerned.

But in general with "for" is a little more formal, and without less so.

Hope helps,
Ian

www.EnglishSwearing.com - How to use all the bad words! ... and ... www.throdworld.com - Silly verses to make you happy.

You decide the price for both!
hiromichi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanT,

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: