Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to learn American's pronunciation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyintosky

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: How to learn American's pronunciation? Reply with quote

In the country which the people don't use English as the official language, How do we learn American's pronunciation when we speak English?
jerseyjoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: pronunciation Reply with quote

Hello Flyintosky, you must listen and practice by immitating. I have some decent programs on my website which are not expensive. Take a look and see what you think.
http://learningenglishnow.yolasite.com
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have something on my website, http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~lfried/activity/listening/listeningexp.html . I never finished it, but there are a few things there about American English fast speech.
OC Tutor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to learn American's pronunciation? Reply with quote

flyintosky wrote:
In the country which the people don't use English as the official language, How do we learn American's pronunciation when we speak English?

Pronunciation varies depending on the region the language is spoken, even in America. To learn "Standard American English", it is helpful to have exposure through TV and radio, if possible. If that is not possible in your area, try to find some books on tape at your library. Does this answer the question?
Stephanie S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine started a company called accentschool.com, which offers tutoring in American English accent pronunciation. I think it's really good.
RedRose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy, you just keep watching American movies, TV, talk shows...then you talk to any American you encounter....you are gonna make it, believe me
Corey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget though, pronunciation (or accent) is only one part of being able to communicate.
longshikong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teacher, I suggest the following:

a) if your reading comprehension is much, much better than your listening comprehension, I recommend Clear Speech: Pronunciation and Listening Comprehension in North American English Here in China, students recognize contractions (I'm, it'll, they'd,..) in print but aren't used to hearing or using them.

b) Follow RedRose's advice; watch videos that interest you. When played on a computer, you can change the playback speed using software such as the free downloadable VLC Media Player. You can also find subtitles for many popular TV series and movies online. Don't worry if you don't hear every word--native speakers use far more guessing than actual listening in noisy places or when someone isn't speaking clearly. That will come with experience.

c) Record your voice and compare it to a native speaker's. Make a note of what sounds you still need to work on, or that cause confusion for native speakers you communicate with (ask them!) For many, the short 'i' is a problem: it/eat, ship/sheep.

RedRose: nice to see you back! I enjoyed reading your positive comments! Very Happy I even tried contacting tcxch because I thought what he wrote about learning English in China: My English Learning Philoshophy could help many of my students (I wanted a Chinese translation).

Actually, now that I live in China's Hunan province, I face the same problem--the dialect makes it harder for me to understand others and some people here don't even understand my standard Mandarin pronunciation. Crying or Very sad
PeterAlex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To improve your pronunciation of American English, let's begin with vowel sounds.

Directions:

Listen to the audio while reading each word.
Read each word out loud with the audio.
Read the words without the audio.

Click here to begin the pronunciation program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: