Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to improve English reading abilities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiyayun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: How to improve English reading abilities? Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I prepared for the TOEIC test, but I found that I cannot complete the whole reading comprehension questiones of the Reading part, and it is because I read so slowly.

Please tell me the way to solve my reading problem, thank you very much!!! Surprised
ieltsonly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to really improve your reading is by reading. There is no secret really. Hard work is the key. The more that you read, the better you will become at reading. Read things that you are interested in for pleasure but force yourself to read different types of texts. Don't always read with a dictionary by your side. Sometimes set yourself free and try to read without total understanding of every word. You can always go back and look up words later.

Summary : read every day to improve your reading speed.

I hope this helps.
Stephen
http://www.ieltsonly.co.uk
travelinhobo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: I agree with the above Reply with quote

Reading is the best thing one can do to improve a language. And for you, you need to practice reading since this is your weak point.

If you aren't reading on a regular basis now, start with 30 minutes every day, 5x a week. You don't want to overload your brain if it isn't used to reading in another language. Reading only once or twice a week won't help you - it only maintains your level.

Also, it's VERY important you read at the correct level. Don't start with difficult readings. Always start easy and simple. If you aren't reading now (regular English, not technical), start with something below your level. Read 2 books which are very easy (maybe you need the dictionary for 5 or 6 weeks for the whole book), then increase the level little by little. Don't forget, you can read magazines, cereal boxes, anything in English.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ieltsonly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: I agree with the above Reply with quote

travelinhobo wrote:
Don't forget, you can read magazines, cereal boxes, anything in English.

Wow!! I have always read cereal boxes and still do. I read them as a child so that I didn't have to speak to my sisters and later I read them when I lived in Spain to help me improve my Spanish. I read them now because they "are there" and I am too sleepy to focus on a newspaper.
Very Happy
Stephen
Stephanie S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reading out loud to yourself for a set amount of time each day. It will give you a chance to listen to your own pronunciation at the same time as improving your confidence and speed in reading and comprehension. If you're interested, consider joining us for an Elanguest, Malta. Smile

Last edited by Stephanie S on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
marmara34

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a method recently for those who are lazy enough to pick a book from shelf and read it for an hour without any distraction and boredom. I say boredom because i get bored when I read too many vocabularies that I do not know.

Find an audiobook from learnoutloud.com, most of them are free. And buy the hardcopy of the same book. Then read while listening the book. I finished 2 x 250 paged books and learned some words without checking any dictionary. It took me 2 weeks. But you should choose a book that you may really interested in reading.

good luck
Afra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: How to Improve Reading Skills Reply with quote

Hi,
Many people have trouble with reading. Reading is hard for some people and it can take time. Reading is a process of the brain where you look at symbols on a page, and your mind sees the patterns of characters and understands the meaning in them. If you develop good reading skills, it'll be very helpful to your future. Aren't your school teachers always saying 'Read more books!'? Here are a few steps and tips to get started.

For more information, visit the link http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Your-Reading-Skills

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: