Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Human beings are monogamous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Excalibur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Human beings are monogamous Reply with quote

Hiiiii Very Happy
Last days this idea has come to my mind. I wonder it is the reason of many marriages, couples, realitionships of the human beings were broken off. You only has to pay attention to the behaviors of animals you will realize that, excepts any minimun part of them which are monogamy all their life, the other 95 % only looks for a couple to preserve the species.
I already know the human beings are characterized by their feelings, rational, etc. Nevertheless, if Darwin Theories are trusths We will get in our deeply mind anykind of animal instinct.
Anyway, I would like to know your opinions.
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marriage is a Christian virtue (of course there are similar virtues in other religions). There are also religions, that allows men to have two or more women. So the question, whether it's in the nature of the human being to be monogamous is speculative and not really important, 'cause that depends on country, century, religion etc..
I think it's more interesting, why there are such great differences between cultures, countries, centuries etc. in that question. The human being strives for happiness. It seems, as if you can find it in marriage as well as in brief-relationship-life.
The great difference in contrast to animals is, that the human being is able to decide (...if there were no religious limits...).
missmacphisto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... no matter if you guys don't agree with me but i do think the human being is naturally monogamous.
The whole problem is that someone million years back decided to call it a rule... and as we all know... human beings love to break rules ! Cool Twisted Evil
liebe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could make a generalization about humans as you can for animals. There are certain cultures, in which humans were polygamous for centuries--they are so used to that, that they can't even imagine being monogamous. If you want to make a generalization about humans, you'd have to put them in natural conditions, where they would have no cultural or religious restrictions. Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible nowadays. I personally can't imagine myself living with 3 or 5 different husbands... People don't get divorced because they are naturally polygamous, they do so because they don't put enough efforts into their marriages and working them out. They choose the easy way--to get divorces, instead of solving their problems.
Zanthrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think humans are naturally monogamous. Although I believe monogamous relationships are more likely to succeed. As it's hard enough to find one person you can get along with most of the time to live with, let alone many.

I don't however feel monogamous for life, or relationships should be the only one allowed. Especially here I feel most people are pressured into marriage and the "ideal life" and later regret it when they realize it's not what they thought, or the person they married wasn't being realistic either at the time.

Humans may just be monogamous because we take so long to grow into adults. Now that in some areas kids spend most of their time in school or with other kids and not with their parents I don't believe monogamous relationships are still required.

I don't see any difference between us and animals. We are just smarter.. somtimes anyways.. well, we get to define smart.. so perhaps most of the time. Razz

Zanthrick
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanthrick wrote:
I don't see any difference between us and animals. We are just smarter.. somtimes anyways.. well, we get to define smart.. so perhaps most of the time.

In my opinion there are differences. For example the awareness. We are in many cases absolutely aware of what we are doing. I think animals aren't. Of cause they've got a small piece of awareness, but not that much. What about the conscience?

But I think, we aren't any better that animals are.
Passerby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Rule-dictator Reply with quote

In my opinions, I suppose that human beings are polygamous. And, the fact is the opposite is because of these social and traditional and moral and virtual and historic and some other restrictions that you can't even name it. Seriously, let's take a deep dive into the wildlife, no sooner you will understand that all of this poly or mono production is only restricted by the natural organisms.
How sad to say, if excluded all these limits and restrictions and rules, and this accumulative knowledge, human being is nothing but another animal.

Why you have more than one friends? But why only one out of them could be your partner? All this rules~~~
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passerby wrote:
Why you have more than one friends? But why only one out of them could be your partner? All this rules~~~

This is an interesting point.... aren't these rules part of the human nature as well? Of course you can dive into wild-life, but should the roots be the only part of the human tree? A tree needs a trunk, branches and leaves, too. So the roots of the human being maby are polygamous (there are also animals, who aren't, how would you explain that?), but some cultures and religions (maybe they symbolize the branches) forbid polygamy, so why should that be against human nature?
liebe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we (most of us?) have many friends and we're supposed to marry only once. But you're forgetting, that you don't live with your friends. Being married to someone means you have to live with him, everyday, you need to get along with him, raise your children together, etc. It's almost impossible to find one person like that, I'm not even talking about many... Being married doesn't only mean having sex together and sleeping in the same bed, it's a lot more than that. It's creating a life together, creating your own little world.
coffeedecafe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liebe wrote:
Yes, creating your own little world.

and populating it with little peoples...
who might grow up to be a pleasure to their parents and enjoy spending family time. it does seem the happy twosome is the standard all other relationships are compared to and judged by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: