Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on tuition fees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurabates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Opinions on tuition fees Reply with quote

What does everybody on here think about the UK tuition fees being raised to �9000?

I think it's awful and the Liberal Democrats ought to be made to honour the pledges they signed during the election promising that they were going to fight against any increase in tuition fees.

Otherwise no students from disadvantaged background will be able to apply to university and those who do go will end up coming out with more than �40,000 debt starting their lives under such a burden how will they ever manage to pay it off?

I was quite confused by all the different media coverage because it seems to be a very complex issue but I have found a great blog which explains all the different parts of the issue really simply and clearly.

I'd love to know what other forum members think about this and do they agree with me?
Afra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument that economic pressures do not oblige those in power to increase tuition fees fell on deaf ears when legislation was passing through Parliament several years ago. Opponents of £9,000 fees have an opportunity to revive it, however, using international law - and the government may find it more difficult to ignore their case if it is focused through this lens.

What does international law tell us about setting tuition fees? First, that it is not true that British governments are free to set the level of university fees constrained only by the market. International law regards a university education as a universal human right. And since 1976 the UK has been legally bound by the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, which requires all states to introduce progressively free university education - in all subjects and at postgraduate level as well.

Tuition fees: a human rights issue
Academic Writing Services | Resume Writing Services
Order | 35% Discount | Discount Code: PROMO35
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: