Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How well does your English teacher... ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longshikong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: How well does your English teacher... ? Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian in China. I've been teaching since 2001. I took a 100 hour TESL course in Vancouver when I started but I don't think I was very good at first. I didn't know how to get students talking nor how to help them express themselves, so I used the book too much and didn't give them much opportunity to speak. Students often say that about their new teachers. Most teachers don't have much training. Many have even less than I did when I started. I think it's up to you to let us (teachers) know how we're doing so we can improve just as it's our job to let you know how you're doing. Please copy the following to a new post and let us all know how well your (last) teacher taught you:

#1 = Excellent;
#2 = Very good;
#3 = Good;
#4 = Just OK;
#5 = Poor

How well does your teacher...
a) prepare for class ............................................................................#
b) review/recycle previous weeks' language that we'd otherwise forget.....#
c) tell us what we're going to learn at the beginning................................#
d) make lessons interesting with a variety of activities, topics .................#
e) teach us at our level (not too hard, not too easy)..............................#
f) correct us (without interrupting or embarrassing us Embarassed ).....................#
g) speak slow and clear enough for us to understand ............................#
h) explain things so we can understand.................................................#
i) give us as much speaking practice as possible....................................#
j) not waste time with reading/writing if it's a speaking/listening class......#
k) make sure we can all use the new words and grammar........................#
l) give us listening comprehension tasks................................................#
m) help us turn our receptive* into expressive* language.......................#
n) know what is difficult for us and what is easy....................................#
o) encourage us (to encourage each other) .........................................#
p) give us feedback on our progress....................................................#
q) tell me what my strengths/weaknesses are and how to improve..........#
r) ...(Am I missing something?)........................................................#

*receptive language: I understand it but forget to use it, or, I'm not sure when/how to use it.
*expressive language: I understand it completely and use it.
Afra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To become a fluent English speaker, you must study and master reading, listening, and speaking. At TalkEnglish.com, the lessons are structured to give you practice in all three areas at the same time.

Steps to Learning English
Academic Writing Services | Resume Writing Services
Order | 35% Discount | Discount Code: PROMO35
longshikong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afra wrote:
To become a fluent English speaker, you must...

... ignore the spam!

MODS, WHERE'S THE SPAM BUTTON! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: