Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to learn English language
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longshikong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My English Learning Philosophy

By Christopher Xie from China
I am a Chinese who speaks and uses English as a second language....
(see page 5 of this thread)

I really like what many of you have written and Christopher's right! Many students study English just to pass tests but they can hardly speak. I see them on the streets of China. 'How are you?' is all they can say. I appreciate how disheartening it can be--like learning basketball from a textbook, or a teacher who's never played a real game.

What's worse is that many foreign teachers don't really (know how to) help students. My 100 hr training TESL course gave me skills but not the knowledge that I needed to address the problems you all face.

I used to teach children but now I'm also teaching adults again and this is why I decided to join this forum. I want to learn from all you by starting some question threads so that we can learn from each other.

It seems not many students of English use these forums. Crying or Very sad Maybe it's because there are too many (teacher website) ads. We should all report them so that they get removed from the forums.

I already started one thread... it's to find out what students think about the private franchise school I teach at. When I have time, I'll start more that hopefully, will be able to help us all.

January, 21, 2012
Long Shi Kong
secondside

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: an amazing website to learn or improve your english Reply with quote

i think playing http://www.voscreen.com about 30 minutes a day will help you improve your english skills. i do this regulary and it really helps.
and i recommend to all of who wants to learn or improve english.
it is also great fun to watch short videos there.. Smile

http://www.voscreen.com

PremiereChris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Practice is Important Reply with quote

My advice for how to best learn how to speak English is to find a good English class with a reputable language school that focuses on conversation. The most important thing to look for in a good class is the ESl teacher. A good ESL teacher should have a very warm personality and should create a class that is very active with a lot of opportunities for each student to practice speaking. If you want to learn how to speak English effectively, the best way is to speak English as often as you can. Don't worry about making mistakes. The important thing is to speak.
Corey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more.
jiloeh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: ADVICES Reply with quote

During the time you save money:

1) Watch movies in English with English subtitle to begin

2) Go on internet to find vocabulary/Grammar exercises.

3) Make friends who speak English Very Happy

When you have enough money:

1) Go to a language school that is not too big and that can provide you english course adapted to your need (Coromandel Outdoor Language Centre could be perfect for you) Very Happy

2) Save money again ^^

3) Go back to a language school or travel around the world Very Happy
etutor.school

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Learning English Reply with quote

You should definitely immerse yourself in the English language by taking up online or traditional classes.

I currently own a social network language school where you connect, follow and post language related questions on our q&a hub and you can also book classes with our certified and qualified teachers at an affordable price.

You can check it out at http://www.etutorschool.com/about-us
Leemingi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Ways to Learn English Reply with quote

I'm students learning English, and I think these things are good.

First, Try to speak or maknig a conversation with a foreigner.
Second, Listen to the English program.
Third, Preview and review English vocabulary after your work.
Fourth, Write an English essay several days.
mwki202

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Learning English Reply with quote

Learning English needs some elements to be available within the student; and has very little thing with the teacher. First it needs readiness: you should be ready to accept learning and spare enough time for learning. Secondly, you have to have desire to learn: this strengthens your power to make the input to intake. Motivation is a good factor that enhances learning. The good choice of the learning material, and educational web sites, ... makes learning fun; and lessens its difficulty. A teacher here is a facilitator and consultant.
yanis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Improving speaking skills Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in on this thread about improving English speaking skills (not sure if it's still ongoing). Here you can find cool English conversation animated video lessons designed for learners : teentok.com/free-lessons
The page has a list of 10 free lessons, each lesson starts with a short scene, a conversation between 2 or 3 characters. Then there are additional exercise videos to understand and practice the dialogue. The approach is similar to watching English videos, which is probably one of the best ways to learn to speak, but sometimes doing that is really hard. The above lessons are well suited for learners with at least some knowledge of English - and who may be even quite good in reading and writing - but have trouble expressing themselves in speaking.

Another useful resource I found for learning to speak English or a foreign language in general, is elingora.com : a free language learning community that allows users to record audio in a foreign language, and have native speakers from the community provide feedback and corrections on the audio (in audio and/or written form). I think that's a really cool concept.

Hope these are useful to someone. Cheers !
Helena_Birk12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: