Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Poem by Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: English Poem by Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) Reply with quote

I have found this poem by Borges who was a famous Argentine writer and poet. Although his native languaje was Spanish this poem, written in English, has touched me and I want to share it with you.

English Poem by Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986)

What can I hold you with?
I offer you lean streets, desperate sunsets, the moon
of the jagged suburbs.
I offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked
long and long at the lonely moon.
I offer you my ancestors, my dead men, the ghosts
that living men have honoured in bronze:
my father’s father killed in the frontier of Buenos Aires,
two bullets through his lungs, bearded and dead,
wrapped by his soldiers in the hide of a cow;
my mother’s grandfather- just twenty four- heading
a charge of three hundred men in Peru, now
ghosts on vanished horses.
I offer you whatever insight my books may hold,
whatever manliness or humour my life.
I offer you the loyalty of a man who has never been
loyal.
I offer you that kernel of myself that I have saved,
somehow –that central heart that deals not in
words, traffics not with dreams and is untouched
by time, by joy, by adversities.
I offer you the memory of a yellow rose seen at sunset,
years before you were born.
I offer you explanations of yourself, theories about
yourself, authentic and surprising news of yourself.
I can give you my loneliness, my darkness, the huger
of my heart; I am trying to bribe you with
uncertainty, with danger, with defeat.

Regards.
Jorge
oinrocinu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uau... my language is Spanish too and I remember that some years ago I tried to do a poem in English and it was absolutely impossible. The poem it's really pretty.

Lola
Smee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Lola, Borges was a remarkably skillful writer and also a translator from English into Spanish. It is not common for a Spanish spoken writer to write in another language but Borges did it and the outcome was lovely as we can see. Do you know some other works by him?
oinrocinu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read, some years ago, "El aleph" and I enjoyed with it. It's one of the most konwn books of Borges.

If you understand (or speak) Spanish, I recommend you to read some book of another argetinian writer: Julio Cortazar. Well, I think that there is an English translation of "Historias de cronopios y famas" and in English is called "Cronopios and famas". If you find it, read it. I assure you that it's really good (and funny).

L.
Ayaba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should note that Borges' upbringing was uncommon, since he learned Spanish and English almost at the same time, speaking English with a member of his family and Spanish with other members of his household, at times simultaneously.

Confused
Smee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ayaba,

As you seem to know a few things about Borges, do you mind if I ask you something?
The other day I ran across a short story by Borges called “Las ruinas circulares” (“The Circular Ruins”) and I was challenged by my classmates to translate its epigraph into Spanish (It happens that the epigraph is in English because Borges quoted it from the book “Through The Looking-Glass”). That epigraph reads as follows: “…if I left dreaming about you...”. If you read the story you will find that there is connection between the paragraph and the issue of the story because there is a character who can aim or command his dreams in order to create other individuals. I wonder if the verb “to dream” in English admits that particular meaning, I mean: Can you command your dreams?

In Spanish, when you say “I dreamed about you” it could mean two things, “I desired you” or “I had a dream in which you were present” but you can’t command a dream as you can command a thought, at least without much reality strain, so the outcome of my translation was something like this: “ …if I left thinking of you…”

I haven’t read the story “Through The Looking-Glass” by Lewis Carol, Smile it may be that the right answer is there. What is your opinion?

Regards,
Jorge Smile
daavidfischer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good one. I too write poems on my own. Is there any way I can compete in any competitions. I have always wanted to compete in big competitions. I hope you guys can help me find a competition.

----------------------------------
DAVID GRANT
microsoft excel 2013 help
----------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: