Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me with this sentence.Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yffjcn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Help me with this sentence.Thanks! Reply with quote

I feel confused about the word "permitted" in this sentence.
I was the first western reporter permitted to film a special unit caring for pandas.

Can it be changed like this?
I was the first western reporter to be permitted to film a special unit caring for pandas.

I often see the phrase like : the first to do sth.

For example: Armstrong is the first to land on the moon.
She is always the first to come and the last to leave.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me with this sentence.Thanks! Reply with quote

yffjcn wrote:
I was the first western reporter permitted to film a special unit caring for pandas.

I was the first western reporter to be permitted to film a special unit caring for pandas.

"I was the first western reporter permitted to film..." is the same meaning as "I was the first western reporter who was permitted to film..." or "I was the first western reporter to be permitted to film..." but you can leave out the passive part, which would leave "I was the first western reporter (to be) (who was) permitted to film..." (You could leave out either set of words in parentheses.}

Some similar sentences:
I was the first person (who was) given the chance to answer the question.
I was the first person (to be) told to stand in line.
He was the first person (to be) chosen to join the team.
She was the first person (who was) elected to that position.
yffjcn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me with this sentence.Thanks! Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
yffjcn wrote:

"I was the first western reporter permitted to film..." is the same meaning as "I was the first western reporter who was permitted to film..." or "I was the first western reporter to be permitted to film..." but you can leave out the passive part, which would leave "I was the first western reporter (to be) (who was) permitted to film..." (You could leave out either set of words in parentheses.}

Some similar sentences:
I was the first person (who was) given the chance to answer the question.
I was the first person (to be) told to stand in line.
He was the first person (to be) chosen to join the team.
She was the first person (who was) elected to that position.

Thanks a lot!!! You are so helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: