Site Search:
 
Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me with this sentence.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
yffjcn



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Please help me with this sentence. Reply with quote

Can someone help me with this sentence?
"Duang" seems to be an example of onomatopoeia, a word that phonetically imitates a sound. It all seems to have started with Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, who in 2004 was featured in a shampoo commercial where he said famously defended his sleek, black hair using the rhythmical-sounding "duang".

in the underlined sentence, where he said famously defended his ...
which is the predicate verb, said or defended? is "and" left out? where he said famously and defended his...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lorikeet



Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 1784
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me with this sentence. Reply with quote

yffjcn wrote:
Can someone help me with this sentence?
"Duang" seems to be an example of onomatopoeia, a word that phonetically imitates a sound. It all seems to have started with Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, who in 2004 was featured in a shampoo commercial where he said famously defended his sleek, black hair using the rhythmical-sounding "duang".

in the underlined sentence, where he said famously defended his ...
which is the predicate verb, said or defended? is "and" left out? where he said famously and defended his...


There is something wrong with that sentence. "where he said famously defended" isn't correct. Are you sure it wasn't "where he famously defended..."?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yffjcn



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me with this sentence. Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
yffjcn wrote:
Can someone help me with this sentence?
"Duang" seems to be an example of onomatopoeia, a word that phonetically imitates a sound. It all seems to have started with Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, who in 2004 was featured in a shampoo commercial where he said famously defended his sleek, black hair using the rhythmical-sounding "duang".

in the underlined sentence, where he said famously defended his ...
which is the predicate verb, said or defended? is "and" left out? where he said famously and defended his...


There is something wrong with that sentence. "where he said famously defended" isn't correct. Are you sure it wasn't "where he famously defended..."?


Many thanks, I think it is wrong too. I got this sentence from the BBC.com:
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31689148
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lorikeet



Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 1784
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you got it, but at least in American English it isn't right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yffjcn



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
I see where you got it, but at least in American English it isn't right.

Thanks a lot!!! Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2016 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teachers College, Columbia University: Train to Teach English Here or Abroad
SIT
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group